newbie question for wireless

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a Dell pc at home. I travel about 600 miles from home on my job, and
I have comcast high speed cable internet service. If I get whatever I need
for my Dell laptop can I access the internet with my laptop when I am away
from home? Does this service cost a lot or is it something that I have now
with my comcast service? If I can do this what should I purchase that has a
good reputation and actually works. Right now I get a dialup service for
wherever I happen to be. That is a pain in the butt, as I am only in a area
for about 4 weeks or so then I have to move to another location.
Thank you for any help.
Bob

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:12:19 -0500, "Bob" <rphsr1@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I have a Dell pc at home. I travel about 600 miles from home on my job, and
>I have comcast high speed cable internet service. If I get whatever I need
>for my Dell laptop can I access the internet with my laptop when I am away
>from home? Does this service cost a lot or is it something that I have now
>with my comcast service? If I can do this what should I purchase that has a
>good reputation and actually works. Right now I get a dialup service for
>wherever I happen to be. That is a pain in the butt, as I am only in a area
>for about 4 weeks or so then I have to move to another location.
>Thank you for any help.
>Bob

Some possible solutions:

1. Get a dialin ISP with national coverage. The below no frills
allvantage $5.95/mo. setup has a very large number of access
numbers across the country.
http://www.allvantage.com/

2. If you stay in a hotel/motel, get one that has free high speed
wifi net access.

3. Starbucks and other places have a national net wifi setup that
you pay to use..

4. Search around for coffie shops, truck stops, and such that
have free wifi access.

5. Make yourself a war driving setup and borrow wifi access where
you can.