Sign in with
Your question

super video editing machine

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2001 1:19:02 PM

I want to build a video editing machine from scratch. The ASUS Geforce3 card has s-video input for my hi-8 camcorder. I want dual processor and RAID 0+1 with four 40 or 60 gig 7200 rpm drives stripped for speed and mirrored for backup. Has anyone built such a machine? I am looking for advice about which motherboard, which RAID controller, which kind of memory (planning on 512 meg), etc. Has anyone heard of a dual pentium 4 motherboard? Or do you recommend a dual Athlon? What can any of you with video editing experience have to say?

I am new to the group, but I have built systems from scratch before. Anyone have a recommendation on component suppliers. It took me a long time to gather all the parts for my last system. One component took 3 months and I could not proceed until I had it...very frustrating!

Doug Basberg
Think Logically..Act Accordingly.
October 27, 2001 1:40:14 PM

Get dual Athlon MP 1800+. Also wait until the AIW Radeon 8500DV comes out. It'll be the ultimate video editing graphics card. Get at least 512MB of PC2100 CL2 DDR RAM. Get a Promise FaskTrak100 TX4 and install the four hard drives each on a separate channel for maximum performance. All the Tyan dual processor motherboards have 64-bit PCI support, so you can take advantage of over 100MB/s data transfer without bottlenecking the PCI bus.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2001 3:10:07 PM

Thank you AMD man for the heads up on a better video/capture card(I can wait for this improved card). Your advise on the RAID setup will be followed.

I am impressed with the quality of reply I got posting at THG! So much useful information!

Thanks again AMDman.

Doug Basberg
Related resources
October 27, 2001 3:44:55 PM

If you are doing video editing, I would highly recommend you get a Pentium 4, as this is there specialty. A 1.5 GHZ Pentium Processor can beat or match an AMD processor at FlaskMEPEG4 encoding, and is much cheaper as well considering the cost of the MB and the fact that you buy two CPU's with the AMD. If money is no object to you, you can get a dual Pentium Zeon Processor MB but it will cost you 700+ dollars, $600 for the processors, and then more for the memory, PS, HD's etc. If you have $4000- $5000 to burn on this machine, go for it, if not, go ahead and get the Pentium 4, it will more than likly cost half as much (but will not preform as well). Here is a link to the reveiw on <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q2/010605/inde..." target="_new">Tom's Site</A>. If you have the money to burn, let us know and we can then suggests parts:) 

If it works for you then don't fix it.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2001 5:21:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I have $3500 max, which must include the 21" monitor and all components. Timeframe is to purchase by April 2002 and build by June. Thanks for the link to the article. I apreciate what I am learning from this post.

Doug Basberg
!