How to Identify Program Causing Startup Delay

Every time I reboot/start my computer it experiences a delay (~ 1:40 minutes)
after the Event log service starts and before the boot up process is
completed. How can I determine which service or which program is causing the
delay? TIA
8 answers Last reply
More about identify program causing startup delay

    click start > run > then type msconfig then click the startup tab. This is
    all the junk that is starting on boot up on your pc. Uncheck what you don't
    want or need.

    "Jack Mills" <JackMills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Every time I reboot/start my computer it experiences a delay (~ 1:40
    minutes)
    > after the Event log service starts and before the boot up process is
    > completed. How can I determine which service or which program is causing
    the
    > delay? TIA

    Please see my response to Will Denny's suggestions. TIA

    "Nick Burns" wrote:

    > click start > run > then type msconfig then click the startup tab. This is
    > all the junk that is starting on boot up on your pc. Uncheck what you don't
    > want or need.
    >
    > "Jack Mills" <JackMills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Every time I reboot/start my computer it experiences a delay (~ 1:40
    > minutes)
    > > after the Event log service starts and before the boot up process is
    > > completed. How can I determine which service or which program is causing
    > the
    > > delay? TIA

    Hi

    Any item in msconfig>startup that might be causing the delay? Are there any
    entries in the Event Viewer that may point to the problem?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Jack Mills" <JackMills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Every time I reboot/start my computer it experiences a delay (~ 1:40
    > minutes)
    > after the Event log service starts and before the boot up process is
    > completed. How can I determine which service or which program is causing
    > the
    > delay? TIA

    I've cleared the check boxes for for all programs on the Startup tab of
    msconfig with the same 1:40 minute delay before the first Windows Services
    starts. In other words, it appears that none of the startup programs is
    causing the delay.

    I've also performed a clean boot (see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353), but the
    delay is not eliminated.

    As a third approach to isolating the program/service culprit, I've changed
    to automatic all Windows services that were started on reboot even though
    they were set to manual. The delay remains.

    Any other ideas? TIA

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Any item in msconfig>startup that might be causing the delay? Are there any
    > entries in the Event Viewer that may point to the problem?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Jack Mills" <JackMills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Every time I reboot/start my computer it experiences a delay (~ 1:40
    > > minutes)
    > > after the Event log service starts and before the boot up process is
    > > completed. How can I determine which service or which program is causing
    > > the
    > > delay? TIA

    Hi

    Did this problem start after you either installed or uninstalled any
    specific program? Although not normal in XP, have a look in the win.ini
    file for any program that may be listed against either:

    load= or
    run=

    --

    > I've cleared the check boxes for for all programs on the Startup tab of
    > msconfig with the same 1:40 minute delay before the first Windows Services
    > starts. In other words, it appears that none of the startup programs is
    > causing the delay.
    >
    > I've also performed a clean boot (see
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353), but the
    > delay is not eliminated.
    >
    > As a third approach to isolating the program/service culprit, I've changed
    > to automatic all Windows services that were started on reboot even though
    > they were set to manual. The delay remains.
    >
    > Any other ideas? TIA
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Any item in msconfig>startup that might be causing the delay? Are there
    >> any
    >> entries in the Event Viewer that may point to the problem?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Jack Mills" <JackMills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Every time I reboot/start my computer it experiences a delay (~ 1:40
    >> > minutes)
    >> > after the Event log service starts and before the boot up process is
    >> > completed. How can I determine which service or which program is
    >> > causing
    >> > the
    >> > delay? TIA

    Given the fact that I'm loading/unloading programs at the rate of one or more
    each week, I'm unable to pinpoint the rogue program. FYI, all programs
    listed in win.ini have been disabled.

    Short of reinstalling XP Pro SP2 other programs I use, checking the Event
    Viewer to see when the delay first appears, can you think of any other way to
    find the cause of the delay? TIA

    Jack Mills wrote:
    > Given the fact that I'm loading/unloading programs at the rate of one
    > or more each week, I'm unable to pinpoint the rogue program. FYI,
    > all programs listed in win.ini have been disabled.
    >
    > Short of reinstalling XP Pro SP2 other programs I use, checking the
    > Event Viewer to see when the delay first appears, can you think of
    > any other way to find the cause of the delay? TIA
    >

    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Did this problem start after you either installed or installed any
    >> specific program? Although not normal in XP, have a look in the
    >> win.ini file for any program that may be listed against either:
    >>
    >> load= or
    >> run=
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Jack Mills" <JackMills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've cleared the check boxes for for all programs on the Startup
    >>> tab of msconfig with the same 1:40 minute delay before the first
    >>> Windows Services starts. In other words, it appears that none of
    >>> the startup programs is causing the delay.
    >>>
    >>> I've also performed a clean boot (see
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353),
    >>> but the delay is not eliminated.
    >>>
    >>> As a third approach to isolating the program/service culprit, I've
    >>> changed to automatic all Windows services that were started on
    >>> reboot even though they were set to manual. The delay remains.
    >>>
    >>> Any other ideas? TIA

    I would look to the network - mapped drives off-line, remove all entries
    in My Network Places, delete Web folders, use a static IP address - all
    of these one at a time. I traced my delay to both network places and a
    MS FrontPage web folder.

    I solved this problem by reinstalling XP SP2 and all applications I use.

    "Jack Mills" wrote:

    > Every time I reboot/start my computer it experiences a delay (~ 1:40 minutes)
    > after the Event log service starts and before the boot up process is
    > completed. How can I determine which service or which program is causing the
    > delay? TIA

Microsoft Windows XP