How to copy system file from cd or usb hdd to C: drive whe..

Hello Folks.
I think I got carried away removing files via Spybot S+D ...
Computer with xp pro won't boot after cleanup with spybot .. cleaned
lots of Green coloured files found by spybot.
...Now get message " windows\ ...\ system file is missing or
corrupted "
I have a copy of that file on a Ghost image disk ( the whole image
also is somewhat corrupted + can't be reloaded ] but the system file
is retrievable + now copied to a cd disk.
QUESTION: How can I copy the missing/corrupted system file from a cd
to the c: hdd if windows won't boot ??
I don't have the original XP cd.
I have the " Ultimate Boot Disk cd " via PC World site link, but I
can't figure out how to replace that file from a cd.
Any help gratefully rec'd. Please post to NG. Thanks, -JS
2 answers Last reply
More about copy system file drive

    This article may help.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    <question authority@home.org (john)>:
    | Hello Folks.
    | I think I got carried away removing files via Spybot S+D ...
    | Computer with xp pro won't boot after cleanup with spybot .. cleaned
    | lots of Green coloured files found by spybot.
    | ..Now get message " windows\ ...\ system file is missing or
    | corrupted "
    | I have a copy of that file on a Ghost image disk ( the whole image
    | also is somewhat corrupted + can't be reloaded ] but the system file
    | is retrievable + now copied to a cd disk.
    | QUESTION: How can I copy the missing/corrupted system file from a cd
    | to the c: hdd if windows won't boot ??
    | I don't have the original XP cd.
    | I have the " Ultimate Boot Disk cd " via PC World site link, but I
    | can't figure out how to replace that file from a cd.
    | Any help gratefully rec'd. Please post to NG. Thanks, -JS

    I have just spent the weekend recovering from the identical problem!

    I made a second installation of windows to a directory called WIN2 and then
    reloaded all of my software.

    I used the new directory to try to save my data (probably didn't have to
    worry anyway)

    I have now re-installed all of my software and everything is working fine
    again except:

    When I boot up I am now offered two windows installations - the second of
    which is the dead one.

    Can I remove this installation and delete the original WINDOWS directory and
    if so how?

    Thanks D

    "question authority@home.org (john)" wrote:

    > Hello Folks.
    > I think I got carried away removing files via Spybot S+D ...
    > Computer with xp pro won't boot after cleanup with spybot .. cleaned
    > lots of Green coloured files found by spybot.
    > ...Now get message " windows\ ...\ system file is missing or
    > corrupted "
    > I have a copy of that file on a Ghost image disk ( the whole image
    > also is somewhat corrupted + can't be reloaded ] but the system file
    > is retrievable + now copied to a cd disk.
    > QUESTION: How can I copy the missing/corrupted system file from a cd
    > to the c: hdd if windows won't boot ??
    > I don't have the original XP cd.
    > I have the " Ultimate Boot Disk cd " via PC World site link, but I
    > can't figure out how to replace that file from a cd.
    > Any help gratefully rec'd. Please post to NG. Thanks, -JS

System File CD-Rom Windows XP