Sign in with
Your question

Good controller

Last response: in Video Games
November 5, 2011 12:40:25 PM

hi all,

I've recently switched from console gaming to pc gaming after i made my first build, I do enjoy the satisfaction of playing a game on a pc that i've put together myself but the one thing i do miss is the slick controls of a joypad...
so i was wondering do any of you know of a good joypad that would be compatible and work well with my pc?

thanks in advance guys

More about : good controller

November 5, 2011 4:04:47 PM

yeah you get the joypad from your console you liked so much and go out and buy $10 usb adapter for it, then you plug it in, do some config for buttons and play.
November 7, 2011 11:10:09 AM

I use an xbox 360 controller. All you need to do is download the driver for it and you are done since Xbox 360 controllers use USB. Just make sure it is wired though.
Related resources
November 7, 2011 12:43:31 PM

i use a wired 360 pad. a logitech dual action (ps3 type),a logitech 3d extreme pro joystick, and a nitro wheel, all have there uses and preference for games. but the 1 i use most and does seem to be a very good pad is the stock 360 controller.
not to mention that they are fully supported in games for windows titles, where others may not be... i think MS did this on purpose as controller compatibility doesnt seem to be an issue with other distributors titles.
November 7, 2011 12:52:12 PM

For FPS, RTS and anything online I would highly recommend you use keyboard and mouse. Even if it feels a little weird at first it will soon become second nature.

For an actual joypad I'd second the people above me, use a console controller either via drivers or a usb adapter.
November 7, 2011 1:09:11 PM

joedastudd said:
For FPS, RTS and anything online I would highly recommend you use keyboard and mouse. Even if it feels a little weird at first it will soon become second nature.

For an actual joypad I'd second the people above me, use a console controller either via drivers or a usb adapter.

RTS and FPS definitely but some games are better with a controller. Racing games and platform games. Games like GTA and Batman for example.
November 7, 2011 1:48:57 PM

Like most said, just get an XBOX 360 controller (wired with USB). I use mine as a PC controller and a second controller for my Xbox 360. It's perfect!
November 7, 2011 2:00:17 PM

Yeah I wouldn't use anything other than an Xbox 360 controller.
November 7, 2011 7:50:24 PM

Welcome to PC gaming. Nice to see you converted from the dark side. ;)  What kind of gaming do you do? If you play fps online, "try" to adapt to the keyboard and mouse method of controls. A good M&KB player will beat a good gamepad player nearly every time. Trying to compete with a controller could be frustrating. Also, if you're looking to get into RTS games, M&KB is a must. I use a programmable keypad (Logitech G13) which works kind of slick.

The controller should be fine for other types of games, or for playing single player campaigns. As others have said, I find the Xbox 360 wired controller to be a great pc controller. I do use this for racing games, sports games, or flying jets in BF3.
November 7, 2011 8:05:33 PM

kiezz said:
hi all,

I've recently switched from console gaming to pc gaming after i made my first build, I do enjoy the satisfaction of playing a game on a pc that i've put together myself but the one thing i do miss is the slick controls of a joypad...
so i was wondering do any of you know of a good joypad that would be compatible and work well with my pc?

thanks in advance guys

Welcome aboard.

You can use a wired Xbox 360 controller. Just pop it in your USB and the drivers download automatically. Then you are good to go. Go into the game and there should be an option to use the gamepad in the options menu. If not, Xpadder is your best bet.

With that said, mouse and keyboard is the way to go. I too, used to be a console gamer (like most of us), and I instantly became a better player after transitioning to M&K. It may be tough for some, but being a new PC gamer, you need all the mouse and keyboard time you can get.

Also, I have generally found that games that cannot be played with mouse and keyboard aren't really worth playing anyway.
!