Transfer of files from old computer to new one

I am about to purchase a new computer and would like information on the best
(easiest) way to transfer my files from my old computer to the new one. Both
use xp operating systems. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
--
Robert H. Simmons
2 answers Last reply

    The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard will transfer email messages, IE favorites,
    and many other files and settings. However, it does not transfer programs.

    HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp

    List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

    Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    Cables That Are Compatible with Direct Cable Connection
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310576&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two Computers in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "RobSimmns" wrote:

    | I am about to purchase a new computer and would like information on the best
    | (easiest) way to transfer my files from my old computer to the new one. Both
    | use xp operating systems. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
    | --
    | Robert H. Simmons

    If the old drive was running NTFS(most likely is) and you are thinking of
    ditching the old system altogether then I would just move the old HDD over to
    the new system as a slave drive. That way you have a second physical drive
    you can back up files to for a semi-fault Tolerant solution. Also having the
    second disk with the entire OS loaded can pay off in a case where your
    primary HDD fails or Windows becomes corrupted. Just swap master status to
    the old HDD, load the drivers for the new system configuration and your
    downtime could be minimized.

    If you are keeping the old system set up a simple workgroup and either do
    the File and Settings Transfer Wizard or simply copy important files and
    paste the files to a shared folder on the new machine.

    "RobSimmns" wrote:

    > I am about to purchase a new computer and would like information on the best
    > (easiest) way to transfer my files from my old computer to the new one. Both
    > use xp operating systems. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
    > --
    > Robert H. Simmons

Computers Microsoft Windows XP