Transfer of files from old computer to new one

I am about to purchase a new computer and would like information on the best
(easiest) way to transfer my files from my old computer to the new one. Both
use xp operating systems. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
--
Robert H. Simmons

The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard will transfer email messages, IE favorites,
and many other files and settings. However, it does not transfer programs.

HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp

List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
;304903]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Cables That Are Compatible with Direct Cable Connection
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310576&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two Computers in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"RobSimmns" wrote:

| I am about to purchase a new computer and would like information on the best
| (easiest) way to transfer my files from my old computer to the new one. Both
| use xp operating systems. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
| --
| Robert H. Simmons

If the old drive was running NTFS(most likely is) and you are thinking of
ditching the old system altogether then I would just move the old HDD over to
the new system as a slave drive. That way you have a second physical drive
you can back up files to for a semi-fault Tolerant solution. Also having the
second disk with the entire OS loaded can pay off in a case where your
primary HDD fails or Windows becomes corrupted. Just swap master status to
the old HDD, load the drivers for the new system configuration and your
downtime could be minimized.

If you are keeping the old system set up a simple workgroup and either do
the File and Settings Transfer Wizard or simply copy important files and
paste the files to a shared folder on the new machine.