Why is battlefield 3 such a resource hog?

Armymanis

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Why is battlefield 3 such a resource hog? I have a really good system and battlefield 3 is still saying it is a resource hog. Why is that?

CPU: Athlonll X4 Quard Core (P) 620 2.6 GHz
Mainboard: Pegatron
Memory: 6gb
Hard Drive: 640gb, 2TB
Video: XFX ATI radeon 5850
CD Rom: SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology drive
Power Supply: CORSAIR 750watt

Do I need to upgrade the power supply or the ram or maybe even the processor or GPU?

Oh Battlefield 3 has only frozen once, other than that I have had no problems with it except for the occasional green flashes on the screen, but that comes after 3-4 hours of gaming time. Sometimes 1-2 depending upon the mood.

Do I need to upgrade anything to make BF3 run more smoother than it is?

G

That CPU looks lame. Go for some real power. Get a system board that can hold 2 (or more) physical processors, and get pair (or more) 6 or 8 core CPU's. Never forget, bus speed is everything. It does no good to have a 50Ghz CPU if the bus can't move the data.

Want a good board? Think "Tyan"

Would you rather it uses very little resources, looked rubbish and left you thinking why do I have a good rig?

Remember oblivion and crysis, they brought high end rig to their knees, BF3 is very playable on recent hardware, so they did a better job than the other two titles I just mentioned.

What symptoms exactly are you trying to stop? what resolution are you using? and what settings are you using?

The Athlon II X4 is slightly weak compared to more modern CPUs, however, BF3 is not a very CPU intensive game. Tomshardware has done a review of BF3 and regardless of the CPU whether it is a Phenom II X4, Bulldozer, Core i3, Core i5 or Core i7, the frame rates were very similar. I don't think there was more than a 4 or 5 frame rate spread between the slowest and the fastest CPU tested.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I have an i5 2500k and a HD6970 2GB and I max it getting about 40fps.

So yes, it is a resource hog. You don't even come close to the recommended requirements, I am afraid. And I just barely meet them myself.

In many ways, B3 is the new Crysis.

That CPU looks lame. Go for some real power. Get a system board that can hold 2 (or more) physical processors, and get pair (or more) 6 or 8 core CPU's. Never forget, bus speed is everything. It does no good to have a 50Ghz CPU if the bus can't move the data.

Want a good board? Think "Tyan"
Umm.. this post makes no sense. His CPU is fine. It was the lowest cost quad core you could get a year ago adn doesn't do to bad As mentiond BF3 is not a CPU heavy game and any somewhat modern CPU will due. Core2 duo's handle it fine. This game is all GPU driven. However, it scales very well. TYAN? um... NO. They make server hardware anymore. Why would any consumer machine need more than 1 CPU? Unless you use it as a Professional Worksation too.

Op. Your system is fine. The 5850 is going to start showing it's age. BF3 is a top notch game. What settings are you running it at, have you tried AUTO settings? It seems to do a decent job at choosing the right ones. My guess is you would be running on Medium graphics with maybe details on HIGH. Make sure Vsync is on and AA Deferred is OFF.