Upgrade from AMD K6 2-500 MHz

G

I have been having problems (I believe it is the MoBo) with my daughters FIC VA503+ computer with W98SE and following:

Memory: SDRAM 128 MB
HD: WD 8MB + 1.6 MB
CDRW: HP 8200
CD: 24x
Sound: SB AWE64 ISA
Video: SIS6326 8MB

I would like to upgrade to a newer system that is ultra reliable and minimum changes and give her something that will last a while with some future upgrades possible.

I know this is a simple system but I have been burned with newer systems and many hours to get the system working and would appreciate any help. I am considering a new MB, CPU and memory with as little else as possible ( I know I may also need a new PSU).

Once I get this one done then I need to make one for my wife to surf with.

Thx

G

Is it 66mhz sdram or 100?

Course ram is so dirt cheap now it might not even matter. I will get a better response to you in a minute or two, but yes you will need to buy a new came assuming that your old one is using an AT powersupply. Does it have two seperate connections into the MOBO or one big one?

G

You will need a new PSU unless you go for a Pentium 3. If your daughter wants to play games she will need a new graphics card too.

I upgraded my old K62 500 with new motherboard and so on. The only thing that stopped it going 100% smoothly was that I swaped my CD rom for a DVD. It didnt install the DVD untill after it had asked for the win 98 cd repeatedly in its attempts to install the motherboard by plug and play.

Whilst the manual suggested a route following the plug and play, running the setup file off the cd and installing the drivers that way. I reinstalled windows afterwards anyway - but my point was to illustrate that in my case it wouldnt have actually been necessary.

In pricewatch, under pc kits, you can select from a variety of motherboard and cpu combos. You decide how much you want to spend, then select the speed of the processor you desire. I'm not going to recommend which cpu you should get. But you will see which ones are the best value right away. Whatever you pick, I would call the 800 number of the vender and see what the build time is, and if they "burn in" the board before shipping to catch any immediate bugs. I have been using amd cpu's for the last 3 years with few problems with the cpus, but a few bugs along the way with motherboards. A duron is definately the best value, but the pentium III cpu's have been around the longest, and may offer the most stable chipsets, even though the pentium III is being discontinued by intel. I've had minor problems with many brands of mobos, but the fewest with the abit and asus boards, which are usually the most expensive. If you're able to transfer the hardrive, video card, modem, etc. to the new case, this may be your best bet. Be aware that you will often have to do a fresh install of windows and all the drivers, and some places will install the memory chip(s) for a nominal fee. Installing the memory is one of the simplest parts of setting up the system, but when it is not "seated" correctly in the mobo, the system won't even post. Your other possibility is to buy the whole generic system, and get a new monitor locally if you need it.

G

Thanks for quick response to my question.

My research has led me to an ASUS A7V133-C with audio plus about a 900 MHz Duron and a 256 MB stick of PC 133 memory for just over $200 at MWAV. The currrent case is set for ATX but the power supply is probably 250 watts. I hope I can transfer a 300 watt PSU, make sure I have adequate cooling and move everything except the SB AWE64 which is ISA. Future additions on graphics, CPU and memory could make it quite a system. In the meantime it should be a fast and hopefully very reliable system. She uses it mostly for writing and the internet but she may get more into photography.

My biggest concern now is the reliability and the time to rebuild the machine. Last time I built one I installed the graphics card first then each card in sequence one at a time, making sure it worked and then shut down to add the next.

I am hoping ASUS has the bugs are out of BIOS for the VIA KT133A chipset.

Any more suggestions or warnings?

Thx