DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
anyone know if gigabyte's GA-7VTXH board is good? its got the features i need and has great price (uk£88).... thanx

Yossarian lives

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i got the vtxP, same as the H, but w/out lan. runs good, cept for a couple things:
i can't find it or something, but there is no way to enable memory check on startup, so you have to sit there and pound the "DEL" key to get into bios.
and it won't shut down! (start/shut down), it'll spin down like it'll shut off, then reboots again. played with my led and switch connectors, nothing seems to work.
it performs nice though, i'm going to call gigabyte and see what's going on with these problems, if they have no fix for them i'm going to send it back.

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
thanx for the info... getting a bit worried after seeing the hoards of posts about the GA-7DXR. its exactly what i want though... might have a look again about the MSI boards hmm

[edit: the post http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1
has maybe a similar no-shutdown problem, theres a link to a MS page about this, i didnt look through it but might be some help :) ]
Yossarian lives<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DaveGOD on 10/29/01 02:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
got the vtxP, same as the H, but w/out lan
The 'H' also has the Creative sound chip, I don't believe the 'P' comes with it -- or does it?

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
yes, the "P" comes with the creative sound chip. when installed it shows a sbpci 128. well i found out what was causing it not to shut down properly, my firewire card. i hope it's not firewire in general, otherwise i'll definitely send this board back, i need firewire (video capture).

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
my seller doesnt have the P one, but an E one.... might go for that as someone game me a LAN card anyway, ill see what giga-byte.com says about it.

i dont need firewire, but its always a poss for the future and anyway its a bit bad if theyre not including popular tech like that, let me know :)

thanks guys :)

Yossarian lives

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
it looks like its the "E" one that doesnt have sound, (damn, i need onboard sound for a while)... but then under connectors it lists "1 x line-in, 1 x line-out and 1 x MIC on board".... so no sound card but has the connectors - WTF?

Yossarian lives

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
the vtxE has sound. it's not the creative chip like the others have, just the ac97 software codec. i have to say though, sound doesn't make a big difference to me (if you can hear it, it's good enough). but judging from the ac97 sound that was on the k7s5a i had and the creative chip on this is night and day. big improvement over the ac97. but i have to say this thing does run pretty damn good though. if it'll take my raptor capture board i'll be quite happy indeed.