Licence & Language

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I haven't bought an OS since XP so I was rather surprised (unpleasantly) that apparently Windows 7 can only be installed on 1 computer.
Question is, do I have to buy another CD or can I somehow buy an additional licence? If the latter, what's the price?

The second question is: Does the CD come with a multiple language pack or do I need to buy a CD for each language?

Q1: You only get one license per copy, but then it shouldn't come as a surprise because it's always worked that way. However, there will be a Family Pack option which includes multiple licenses.

Q2: See link below. On Enterprise and Ultimate editions, you can download and install language packs for free.

http://windows7center.com/tutorials/how-to-download-and-install-windows-7-beta-language-packs-mui-packs/

Well, truth is MS did nothing that prevents you from installing XP on multiple computers. They do not however view it as legal.

Btw, what other language are you looking for on Win7?

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
English, German and maybe a third but probably not due to their pricing.
I really don't understand their policy, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever to restrict additional languages to business editions. Especially in Europe where I'd imagine to be a significant demand for it.

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Don't know why I haven't asked that before but does MS prevent you from installing 7 on multiple computers? ;)

Windows Genuine Advantage was created to detect blacklisted serial numbers and multiple installations of non volume license keys. But of course, just because you can get away with installing one copy of Windows on multiple computers doesn't mean it was ok... it just means that MS had no means of doing anything about it. MS has NEVER stated in their license agreements that it was ok to intall one copy of Windows on multiple computers.

Windows product activation in Vista and 7 is better at detecting one key in use by multiple computers... but I have heard there are ways around it. However, I'm not interested as I already have two copies coming... one for my laptop and one for my desktop.

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I didn't know this was the case for XP, I took it for granted. Anyway, I don't see why I am forced to buy two identical CDs for personal use on my computer and on my laptop. It's as if I'd need to buy two music CDs, one for the car and one for my hi-fi system.
That's not the subject of the thread though, might be worth one, but it has probably been discussed a million times.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

Some companies say, you are buying the "license/serial key" rather than the actual software. So in your case, some might say you bought 2 licenses rather than CD's. (That is probably why if you install Win 7 without a serial, it becomes a 30-day trial because it thinks you haven't bought the license to do so).

As for the CD however, you are allowed to use the CD anywhere, as long as you don't copy it and the CD remains in your possession. In this case what you bought is the CD and its contents.

As for fair-use, this is a very big topic and is veering away from the original OP's question.

There is a difference between music CDs and operating systems. Music CDs can (obviously) be only used on one device at a time; you can't take the same CD and install it on multiple CD players and play it unless you make copies. Even then, you're allowed to make copies of the music for personal use... you just aren't allow to distribute it.

Software agreements differ. No software license agreement states that you are permitted to use the same copy on multiple computers... you have to purchase a license for each computer on which you intend to install the software. Some games state that you are allowed to make one copy for backup purposes... but that's it. (Of course there are MMO games that will allow you to install on multiple computers... but you can only have one account per copy of the game you've purchased). You don't necessarily have to purchase multiple copies of the software, but you must at least purchase additional licenses... you don't even need an original disc for that matter... the important thing is that you have one license per computer.

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

That's exactly the point I tried to get across.

Well as I stated, you can copy the disc as many times as you like... you are just not allowed to distribute the discs and you still need a separate license for each computer. Buying one copy of the software also gets you one license. You cannot use that license on another computer, but there is nothing stopping you from using the same disc. As long as you've purchased the licenses... you can install on as many computers with the same disc as you have licenses.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

Actually there are many licenses that allow installation beyond one computer (excluding open source of course), specifically many licenses allow you to isntall on two computers one desktop and one laptop, as long as you can "guarantee" that both PC's will nto be in use at the same time (Quicken 2008 allows for up to 3 PC's in the same household as an example). Otherwise there are other types of license agreements (site license, network license, multiple license packs) that allow different licensing structures.

Ok... perhaps I should have said no OS license agreement. (Again excluding open source) There is software that comes with multiple licenses in a single box (antivirus software is doing this now), but again, there is still one license per computer. I remember now that versions of Office also allowed installation on one desktop computer and one laptop computer. For the most part, however, one license means one computer.