Sign in with
Your question

Can't delete file

Last response: in Windows XP
June 22, 2005 3:06:23 AM

I was trying to clean out some old files today, I just got the retail version of Battlefield 2. So I went to delete the demo files that were left over after it's uninstall. I'm able to delete all except on file. A server logo cache called "server_graphic_2_large.png" the file is 1kb in size and when I tried to delete it, it throws this error message "Cannot Delete File: Cannot read from source file or disk". Anyone know what this all means?

More about : delete file

June 23, 2005 3:42:40 AM

Not sure what it is, but if you want to delete a file and can't, google "dellater" and download it. Works like a champ. Better be sure that it's ok to delete it first. Since it's from the demo, it probably can.
June 23, 2005 6:07:03 AM

A friend of mine suggested running a check disk to see if that would get rid of it. It didn't work, not that I was expecting it to. Perhaps I'll try that program, is it safe?
Related resources
June 23, 2005 1:02:42 PM

Try deleting it from a command prompt.. start - run - cmd - del filename.extension after you navigate to the correct path.
June 23, 2005 6:04:01 PM

I just tried deleting it from the command prompt. I navigate to the directory then when I try to delete it, it tells me it can't find the file.
June 23, 2005 7:32:57 PM

well one of 2 things happened. Either the file was deleted after a restart or the process ended, or you were in the wrong path.

Check for the file again..
June 23, 2005 7:46:28 PM

I restarted my machine, the file is still there. Also I'm sure I was in the right path, I navigated right to the folder and performed a dir. It was the only file in the folder.
June 23, 2005 7:50:35 PM

Ok, move it to another folder and delete it, or rename it then delete it.

It's just a GIF file apparently.. so it shouldn't be a big deal, but you should be able to rename or move it so you can delete it.
June 23, 2005 8:21:35 PM

Actually its a png file, and the problem gets wierder. Whenever I try to rename it, move it, copy it, cut it etc. It throws the same "cannot read from source file or disk" error as when I try to delete it.
June 24, 2005 4:04:56 AM

Run a scandisk - Right click C: drive, tools - check now.

let that run through. It might have been deleted but not flagged as deleted. It's not there if you're getting that error, but it's showing it still is.

The scandisk should fix it.
June 24, 2005 5:05:51 AM

Actually I did run a scan disk (see my second post), and it didnt get rid of it.
June 24, 2005 1:00:44 PM

Can you delete the folder that it resides in?

Or rename the folder?
June 24, 2005 1:42:54 PM

Try this application ... it will delete stuff that gets hung up when windows is up and running ... it deletes before windows has a good "grip" on it ... <A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid..." target="_new">MoveOnBoot v2.9</A>

<b>"The Edge - there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson, </b><b><i>Hell's Angels, 1965</i></b>
June 24, 2005 2:25:21 PM

There are utilities that will delete such 'undeletable' files. Do a Google search.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>
June 25, 2005 2:34:09 AM

I'm able to rename the folder, but if I try to delete it I get the error "Cannot delete file: can't find server_graphic_2_large.png".
June 25, 2005 10:05:22 PM

The file is gone but it's not flagged as gone.. try copying another directory into that folder then deleting the folder.

Defrag too. If you overwrite that drive space, it might do away with it.

Other than that I'd have to start really guessing and just randomly start trying programs that I'd find on Google.
June 25, 2005 10:06:48 PM

Try this too:

Use this method:

1) Open a CMD window. (Click START>RUN and type in CMD)
2) CD to the folder that contains this file.
3) Type "DIR /X" and note the output. You are interested in the SHORT FILE NAME and EXTENSION displayed.
4) Type "DEL xxxx.xxx" where "xxxx.xxx" is the SHORT FILE NAME and extension you saw in #3.
July 8, 2005 3:32:18 PM

Try this: make a new txt file, then change it's extension to png, then rename it be the same as your undeletable file. Now move your new file into the same directory as the undeletabe file, so that the file is overwriten. Now delete the dummy file.

I can't breath!
Forgive me a cruel chuckle, hehe, power!
July 8, 2005 5:17:17 PM

Nice idea - Hope it works for him. I'll have to remember that :) 

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>
July 8, 2005 7:23:19 PM

Didn't work, I did just as you said. To make sure the name was exactly the same I copied the name from the other file using the copy function. For some inexplicable reason the two files were able to coexist. When I tried to delete them I was only able to delete the created copy.
July 8, 2005 8:21:43 PM

That computer is EEEEEEEVIL EEEEEVIL I say.

<font color=red>It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious<font color=red>
July 8, 2005 8:37:03 PM

Nah my computer isn't evil, it's female. I'm pretty sure of this, because everything will be fine one night. Then when I boot up the next morning it will be doing something wierd for some inexplicable reason and I wont be able to find out why. The whole "if you don't know what's wrong, I'm not gonna tell you" :p .
July 8, 2005 10:04:25 PM

Wow I've never heard of a computer with PMS :eek: 

<font color=red>It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious<font color=red>
July 11, 2005 1:43:59 PM

You sure that's the reason it's female and not another 'reason'? haha

Have you tried to rename the file in DOS? Disable simple file sharing, take ownership, delete it.

Deltree command in dos?
July 18, 2005 9:36:55 AM

Try deleting in safemode.

No woman is safe within reach of my heart.
July 18, 2005 10:43:34 AM

Where is this (server_graphic_2_large.png) file at? I uninstalled the demo to and then deleted the BF2 demo folder and I don’t find that file left over.
July 18, 2005 12:46:49 PM

Quote:
Nah my computer isn't evil, it's female. I'm pretty sure of this, because everything will be fine one night. Then when I boot up the next morning it will be doing something wierd for some inexplicable reason and I wont be able to find out why. The whole "if you don't know what's wrong, I'm not gonna tell you" :p .

ROFL!

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
July 18, 2005 2:17:42 PM

RUN
REGEDIT
EDIT
FIND
F3 find next
look for the name of the file and the name of the game,etc... name of Company that made game etc...
I had same problem with a diff app, and hijack this found it in the registry.
hope this helps

peace be with you
!