JVaudry

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
I was trying to clean out some old files today, I just got the retail version of Battlefield 2. So I went to delete the demo files that were left over after it's uninstall. I'm able to delete all except on file. A server logo cache called "server_graphic_2_large.png" the file is 1kb in size and when I tried to delete it, it throws this error message "Cannot Delete File: Cannot read from source file or disk". Anyone know what this all means?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Not sure what it is, but if you want to delete a file and can't, google "dellater" and download it. Works like a champ. Better be sure that it's ok to delete it first. Since it's from the demo, it probably can.

JVaudry

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
A friend of mine suggested running a check disk to see if that would get rid of it. It didn't work, not that I was expecting it to. Perhaps I'll try that program, is it safe?

JVaudry

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
I just tried deleting it from the command prompt. I navigate to the directory then when I try to delete it, it tells me it can't find the file.

JVaudry

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
I restarted my machine, the file is still there. Also I'm sure I was in the right path, I navigated right to the folder and performed a dir. It was the only file in the folder.

riser

Illustrious
Ok, move it to another folder and delete it, or rename it then delete it.

It's just a GIF file apparently.. so it shouldn't be a big deal, but you should be able to rename or move it so you can delete it.

JVaudry

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
Actually its a png file, and the problem gets wierder. Whenever I try to rename it, move it, copy it, cut it etc. It throws the same "cannot read from source file or disk" error as when I try to delete it.

riser

Illustrious
Run a scandisk - Right click C: drive, tools - check now.

let that run through. It might have been deleted but not flagged as deleted. It's not there if you're getting that error, but it's showing it still is.

The scandisk should fix it.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Try this application ... it will delete stuff that gets hung up when windows is up and running ... it deletes before windows has a good "grip" on it ... <A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,23174,00.asp" target="_new">MoveOnBoot v2.9</A>

<b>"The Edge - there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson, </b><b><i>Hell's Angels, 1965</i></b>

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
There are utilities that will delete such 'undeletable' files. Do a Google search.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

JVaudry

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
I'm able to rename the folder, but if I try to delete it I get the error "Cannot delete file: can't find server_graphic_2_large.png".

riser

Illustrious
The file is gone but it's not flagged as gone.. try copying another directory into that folder then deleting the folder.

Defrag too. If you overwrite that drive space, it might do away with it.

Other than that I'd have to start really guessing and just randomly start trying programs that I'd find on Google.

riser

Illustrious
Try this too:

Use this method:

1) Open a CMD window. (Click START>RUN and type in CMD)
2) CD to the folder that contains this file.
3) Type "DIR /X" and note the output. You are interested in the SHORT FILE NAME and EXTENSION displayed.
4) Type "DEL xxxx.xxx" where "xxxx.xxx" is the SHORT FILE NAME and extension you saw in #3.

joe_tlj

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
Try this: make a new txt file, then change it's extension to png, then rename it be the same as your undeletable file. Now move your new file into the same directory as the undeletabe file, so that the file is overwriten. Now delete the dummy file.

I can't breath!
Forgive me a cruel chuckle, hehe, power!

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Nice idea - Hope it works for him. I'll have to remember that :)

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

JVaudry

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
Didn't work, I did just as you said. To make sure the name was exactly the same I copied the name from the other file using the copy function. For some inexplicable reason the two files were able to coexist. When I tried to delete them I was only able to delete the created copy.

JVaudry

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
Nah my computer isn't evil, it's female. I'm pretty sure of this, because everything will be fine one night. Then when I boot up the next morning it will be doing something wierd for some inexplicable reason and I wont be able to find out why. The whole "if you don't know what's wrong, I'm not gonna tell you" :p.

riser

Illustrious
You sure that's the reason it's female and not another 'reason'? haha

Have you tried to rename the file in DOS? Disable simple file sharing, take ownership, delete it.

Deltree command in dos?