Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
i am buying me a new system.

i heard some good things about the speed of Raid mainboards with 2 harddisks.

now i am a compleet newbie on Raid :(

i was thinking of buying a normal mainboard with 60GB hd
but now i am thinking of buying a raid mainboard with 2 40GB hd

(normal mainboard = asus) (raid mainboard = jetway)
(hd = maxtor)

can anyone help me out ? :)

<i>DEAT<b>Hope</b>ratesINsilence</i>

buckman666

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2001
i got a msi dual board with raid, 2 x quantum 30 gb 7200. hdd are quiet, its all the [-peep-]..g fan that made a lot of noise (you close your eyes and can say the case is hoovering at about 2 feet lol). raid 0 for now, 0+1 soon. good speed, you see the diference. promise fastrak100 controller. ata100 drives.
i dont regret it, never once!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I've never heard of Jetway before...
Better to buy a good motherboard and get a PCI RAID card than to get a crappy motherboard with onboard RAID.

<font color=orange>Quarter <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
i read the pages about raid configurations here, and now i am wondering if i need to do a lot of setups. will i notice the difference when i am just using ordinary windows programms, code a bit in visual basic, and c++, play some games (mainly diablo2exp at the moment), and watch some tv with my tv card.

i was thinking of the SocketA JetWay 866AS Raid KT266 DDR+
for the raid configuration

or of the SocketA ASUS A7V266 when i would go for just 1 60 GB harddisk.

is it possible to use this ASUS card in a RAID configuration as well ? didnt know you could use a pci card for the RAID as well.

those cards are both in my budget, but i quite limited in the brands since i have to buy the compononents at 1 shop (buying via my work)

Hrqls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
thanks for the link to www.raid.com.
i think i dont need a raid config right now.

but maybe i will upgrade my system after some time by adding another 60gb hd and 'raiding' my system then.

will it be possible with the ASUS A7V266 ?

(no more info is given in the lists from the shop)