I am using the XP Recovery CD to repair a PC.

When I boot with the recovery CD it asks if I want to partion the hard drive,
will this remove all my personal files or will it just repair the XP
installation.
3 answers Last reply
More about recovery repair

    It will completely and permanently erase your hard disk.

    Ted Zieglar

    "April Floyd" <April Floyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I boot with the recovery CD it asks if I want to partion the hard
    > drive,
    > will this remove all my personal files or will it just repair the XP
    > installation.

    You definitely do NOT want to partition or format.

    Here are some link about how to use the repair option of XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

    http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3998,a=23979,00.asp

    If XP can not find any partitions, then the master boot record might be
    damaged. If so, try the recovery console instead of a repair install onf
    XP. Use FIXMBR once you get into the recovery console. The recovery
    console can also copy single files and run CHKDISK, among other things.
    Here are some links about the recovery console:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

    http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy33.htm

    If the recovery console asks for a password, it wants the password for the
    person you installed XP, not just any admnistrator. If someone else built
    the PC, you may need to ask them for the password. However, just hitting
    return to signify a blank password is a good guess worth trying. If you can
    still get into XP and edit the registry, it is possible to bypass the whole
    password problem by changing the following key:

    Start à Run à Regedit

    Navigate to

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

    Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1

    "April Floyd" <April Floyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I boot with the recovery CD it asks if I want to partion the hard
    > drive,
    > will this remove all my personal files or will it just repair the XP
    > installation.

    Hi, April.

    There is no WinXP Recovery CD. If you have a Recovery CD, it must have been
    provided by the OEM - the Original Equipment Manufacturer who built your
    computer. That probably is a major company such as Dell or HP, but it could
    be your local computer repair shop. So you might have an HP Recovery Disk,
    in which case you should visit www.hp.com to find out how to use it - or
    read the manual that came with your computer. Typically, an OEM's Recovery
    CD restores the computer to the way it left the store, erasing everything
    you've added to the computer since you bought it. That probably is NOT what
    you want to do!

    If you have a retail WinXP CD-ROM, whether Home or Professional Edition, and
    either the "full" or the upgrade version, you should be able to boot from it
    and run an "in-place upgrade", as explained by Microsoft in this KB article:

    How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q315341

    and by MVP Michael Stevens here:

    The WinXP CD-ROM has a utility called the Recovery Console, but this is NOT
    the same as an OEM's Recovery Disk. If you don't have a full retail WinXP
    CD-ROM, contact the vendor who sold you the computer with WinXP
    pre-installed.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "April Floyd" <April Floyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I boot with the recovery CD it asks if I want to partion the hard
    > drive,
    > will this remove all my personal files or will it just repair the XP
    > installation.

Data Recovery CD-Rom Windows XP