A good FPS with a good storyline.

jamesvini

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Hey ho chaps,
To give you all a break from the relentless "will my PC run it" threads, I would like to see what you guys consider a good FPS.
I have recently finished playing Rage and wanted something a little more stimulating than BF3 single player, What would you say is a good FPS with a Good story line?
Even not so well known titles are welcome.

I personally think the original half-life series is always worth a re-play, my fav is blue shift. Morrowind, doom 3 (for the storey) and more recently Portal 2.

What cha think?

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Yup, Half Life has a very good story line, worth a replay any time.

Also, Bioshock and Bioshock 2, very good story there too. Crysis, Crysis 2. Farcry. Max Payne. F.E.A.R. (but not its sequels). Actually there a few out there. These were just the ones I've played and enjoyed not just for their graphics.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I recently jumped into what is FEAR. For $20 you can buy the FEAR pack, which includes FEAR, two expansions for FEAR as well as FEAR 2. I just finished FEAR a few days ago and it was absolutely epic. Not very hard, but you do experience quite the fright from time to time and the psychological aspect of the game makes you actually think about the story before you simply make decisions to run and gun.

In short: Get the FEAR Pack on Steam. $20 is worth it.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Tried the first one, never could get into it...

ZakX11

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Oh yes metro 2033...how I loved that game.
Buy the book.It is very much worth every penny.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

You...you...you aren't worthy of being a gamer! :p

Hehe no I'm joking. It appeals to different people. What the game is though is exactly as the title asks for. It is a straight forward FPS (no funny things, you have a gun and you need ammo to shoot enemies), and it has a cool story (it's not generic, not for it's time anyhow). It also has a massive "Half-Life" edge to it, seeing as how it's Sierra who did it all. I truly think it's worth it, I'm not an FPS fan but I played the game through within a few days. I'm not sorry for the $20, and I would recommend the pack to everyone looking for a decent FPS to play, even if it is a few generations old. :)

It must be remembered that it scored quite well in reviews of the time as well. Close to the scores of Half Life AFAIK.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

I already have :) I read it before the game came out, its one of my favorites. I'm still waiting for Metro 2034 to be translated in to english though :(

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Haha :lol: I'm sure it is a great game, I just couldn't get into it. Theres not many FPS games I haven't played but for some reason F.E.A.R just didn't appeal to me at the time. Maybe I'll try it again sometime if I find it in the sale.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Just been playing Call of Pripyat. It seems buggy, it freezes a lot and menus take forever to load but apart from that is very fun to play.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Not really into FPS.. I only have CoD WaW and BiA Hell's Highway because they came with a hardware buy from Newegg. Fun to play if I want a quick game but I prefer the turn based strat games, Civ V, Total War Shogun and that type of thing. Besides, I'm 63 yrs old and don't want to get into a 9 hour online frackfest. I need to pee too often...

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Damn how could I forget about Brothers in Arms, love them games.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007

Have you tried the complete mods?

They not only fix a lot of the bugs, but add some nice extra content (mainly visual and all round tweaks).

I'm currently doing a full play through of SoC compelte 2009, it looks beautiful (in league with CoP) and I've yet to run into a single bug.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

No I haven't, but I'll look into it. Thanks :) Which is the best mod?

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Crysis and crysis warhead. Metro 2033 is the best survival horror since RE4, its actually scarier than RE4 though (not saying much really but.. :p ) It also looks friggen amazing.

All 3 are must play as far as im concerned.

ZakX11

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Yessssss
I have been dying to read that book.I'm more excited for that book to be translated in english than I am interested in MW3 (I absolutely love cod).
I've heard hunter doesn't really die and makes a re-appearance in that book.

Thegeek

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
What about the action-RPG Deus Ex: Human Revolution? You might not class it as a full FPS but it has a really good story on it. It also has good ratings! Sorry to go off topic but I thought I should post.

Thegeek

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Oh sorry, I didn't notice. :ange:

I never played the first one, to be honest.

The only problem I had with Human Revolution was the bosses! They're really easy kill with the grenade launcher or just normal hand grenade. :sarcastic:

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Yes. Yes you should. I wasn't an FPS fan for a long time, and I didn't enjoy the FEAR gameplay and mechs all those years ago. Now though... It's like jumping back a few ages (with graphics that's surprisingly good for such an old game) into a game and experiencing what I've missed all those years back. I do consider myself a more "worthy" gamer now that it's complete though, it's a mature game that's way ahead of it's time, reminding me of and sometimes exceeding the mindset, dialogue and story of the most modern FPS games. I love it... :D