Sign in with
Your question

A good FPS with a good storyline.

Last response: in Video Games
November 7, 2011 12:58:03 AM

Hey ho chaps,
To give you all a break from the relentless "will my PC run it" threads, I would like to see what you guys consider a good FPS.
I have recently finished playing Rage and wanted something a little more stimulating than BF3 single player, What would you say is a good FPS with a Good story line?
Even not so well known titles are welcome.

I personally think the original half-life series is always worth a re-play, my fav is blue shift. Morrowind, doom 3 (for the storey) and more recently Portal 2.

What cha think?
November 7, 2011 4:09:59 AM

Yup, Half Life has a very good story line, worth a replay any time.

Also, Bioshock and Bioshock 2, very good story there too. Crysis, Crysis 2. Farcry. Max Payne. F.E.A.R. (but not its sequels). Actually there a few out there. These were just the ones I've played and enjoyed not just for their graphics.
m
l
November 7, 2011 4:21:44 AM

I liked Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.

Fallout 3's story was not as tight as Fallout: NV, but I enjoyed playing that game more than Fallout: NV. I'm on my 3rd game now, while I only played Fallout: NV once.
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2011 5:42:29 AM

Fallout and Stalker are good too.
m
l
November 7, 2011 9:44:33 AM

Halo:CE, Halo Reach, Metro 2033, Half life 1, Half life 2, Bioshock, Deus Ex...
m
l
November 7, 2011 9:47:38 AM

I recently jumped into what is FEAR. For $20 you can buy the FEAR pack, which includes FEAR, two expansions for FEAR as well as FEAR 2. I just finished FEAR a few days ago and it was absolutely epic. Not very hard, but you do experience quite the fright from time to time and the psychological aspect of the game makes you actually think about the story before you simply make decisions to run and gun.

In short: Get the FEAR Pack on Steam. $20 is worth it.
m
l
November 7, 2011 10:00:01 AM

Toxxyc said:
I recently jumped into what is FEAR. For $20 you can buy the FEAR pack, which includes FEAR, two expansions for FEAR as well as FEAR 2. I just finished FEAR a few days ago and it was absolutely epic. Not very hard, but you do experience quite the fright from time to time and the psychological aspect of the game makes you actually think about the story before you simply make decisions to run and gun.

In short: Get the FEAR Pack on Steam. $20 is worth it.

Tried the first one, never could get into it...
m
l
November 7, 2011 11:01:34 AM

Gothams Finest said:
Halo:CE, Halo Reach, Metro 2033, Half life 1, Half life 2, Bioshock, Deus Ex...

Oh yes metro 2033...how I loved that game.
Buy the book.It is very much worth every penny.
m
l
November 7, 2011 11:30:36 AM

Gothams Finest said:
Tried the first one, never could get into it...

You...you...you aren't worthy of being a gamer! :p 

Hehe no I'm joking. It appeals to different people. What the game is though is exactly as the title asks for. It is a straight forward FPS (no funny things, you have a gun and you need ammo to shoot enemies), and it has a cool story (it's not generic, not for it's time anyhow). It also has a massive "Half-Life" edge to it, seeing as how it's Sierra who did it all. I truly think it's worth it, I'm not an FPS fan but I played the game through within a few days. I'm not sorry for the $20, and I would recommend the pack to everyone looking for a decent FPS to play, even if it is a few generations old. :) 

It must be remembered that it scored quite well in reviews of the time as well. Close to the scores of Half Life AFAIK.
m
l
November 7, 2011 12:38:49 PM

ZakX11 said:
Oh yes metro 2033...how I loved that game.
Buy the book.It is very much worth every penny.

I already have :)  I read it before the game came out, its one of my favorites. I'm still waiting for Metro 2034 to be translated in to english though :( 
m
l
November 7, 2011 12:43:36 PM

Toxxyc said:
You...you...you aren't worthy of being a gamer! :p 

Hehe no I'm joking. It appeals to different people. What the game is though is exactly as the title asks for. It is a straight forward FPS (no funny things, you have a gun and you need ammo to shoot enemies), and it has a cool story (it's not generic, not for it's time anyhow). It also has a massive "Half-Life" edge to it, seeing as how it's Sierra who did it all. I truly think it's worth it, I'm not an FPS fan but I played the game through within a few days. I'm not sorry for the $20, and I would recommend the pack to everyone looking for a decent FPS to play, even if it is a few generations old. :) 

It must be remembered that it scored quite well in reviews of the time as well. Close to the scores of Half Life AFAIK.

Haha :lol:  I'm sure it is a great game, I just couldn't get into it. Theres not many FPS games I haven't played but for some reason F.E.A.R just didn't appeal to me at the time. Maybe I'll try it again sometime if I find it in the sale.
m
l
November 7, 2011 12:54:33 PM

I second the STALKER series.
Nice story line, but at the same time its open world and lots of sub-quests which keep the lore flowing.
Plus I love the atmosphere.
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:04:26 PM

joedastudd said:
I second the STALKER series.
Nice story line, but at the same time its open world and lots of sub-quests which keep the lore flowing.
Plus I love the atmosphere.

Just been playing Call of Pripyat. It seems buggy, it freezes a lot and menus take forever to load but apart from that is very fun to play.
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:16:26 PM

Not really into FPS.. I only have CoD WaW and BiA Hell's Highway because they came with a hardware buy from Newegg. Fun to play if I want a quick game but I prefer the turn based strat games, Civ V, Total War Shogun and that type of thing. Besides, I'm 63 yrs old and don't want to get into a 9 hour online frackfest. I need to pee too often...
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:19:44 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
Not really into FPS.. I only have CoD WaW and BiA Hell's Highway because they came with a hardware buy from Newegg. Fun to play if I want a quick game but I prefer the turn based strat games, Civ V, Total War Shogun and that type of thing. Besides, I'm 63 yrs old and don't want to get into a 9 hour online frackfest. I need to pee too often...

Damn how could I forget about Brothers in Arms, love them games.
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:24:08 PM

Gothams Finest said:
Just been playing Call of Pripyat. It seems buggy, it freezes a lot and menus take forever to load but apart from that is very fun to play.

Have you tried the complete mods?

They not only fix a lot of the bugs, but add some nice extra content (mainly visual and all round tweaks).

I'm currently doing a full play through of SoC compelte 2009, it looks beautiful (in league with CoP) and I've yet to run into a single bug.
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:01:17 PM

joedastudd said:
Have you tried the complete mods?

They not only fix a lot of the bugs, but add some nice extra content (mainly visual and all round tweaks).

I'm currently doing a full play through of SoC compelte 2009, it looks beautiful (in league with CoP) and I've yet to run into a single bug.

No I haven't, but I'll look into it. Thanks :)  Which is the best mod?
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:11:16 PM

Crysis and crysis warhead. Metro 2033 is the best survival horror since RE4, its actually scarier than RE4 though (not saying much really but.. :p  ) It also looks friggen amazing.

All 3 are must play as far as im concerned.
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:45:52 PM

Gothams Finest said:
I already have :)  I read it before the game came out, its one of my favorites. I'm still waiting for Metro 2034 to be translated in to english though :( 

Yessssss
I have been dying to read that book.I'm more excited for that book to be translated in english than I am interested in MW3 (I absolutely love cod).
I've heard hunter doesn't really die and makes a re-appearance in that book.
m
l
November 7, 2011 7:35:38 PM

What about the action-RPG Deus Ex: Human Revolution? You might not class it as a full FPS but it has a really good story on it. It also has good ratings! Sorry to go off topic but I thought I should post.
m
l
November 7, 2011 8:06:02 PM

I listed Deus Ex earlier :) , to me its an FPS just as much as an RPG. I haven't played Human Revolution but I loved the original.
m
l
November 7, 2011 8:36:24 PM

Gothams Finest said:
I listed Deus Ex earlier :) , to me its an FPS just as much as an RPG. I haven't played Human Revolution but I loved the original.

Oh sorry, I didn't notice. :ange: 

I never played the first one, to be honest.

The only problem I had with Human Revolution was the bosses! They're really easy kill with the grenade launcher or just normal hand grenade. :sarcastic: 
m
l
November 7, 2011 8:53:00 PM

Thegeek said:
Oh sorry, I didn't notice. :ange: 

Hmmm no need for sarcasm :non: 

You should play the first one. :) 
m
l
November 8, 2011 3:06:17 AM

System Shock 2.
m
l
November 8, 2011 6:36:22 AM

Gothams Finest said:
Haha :lol:  I'm sure it is a great game, I just couldn't get into it. Theres not many FPS games I haven't played but for some reason F.E.A.R just didn't appeal to me at the time. Maybe I'll try it again sometime if I find it in the sale.

Yes. Yes you should. I wasn't an FPS fan for a long time, and I didn't enjoy the FEAR gameplay and mechs all those years ago. Now though... It's like jumping back a few ages (with graphics that's surprisingly good for such an old game) into a game and experiencing what I've missed all those years back. I do consider myself a more "worthy" gamer now that it's complete though, it's a mature game that's way ahead of it's time, reminding me of and sometimes exceeding the mindset, dialogue and story of the most modern FPS games. I love it... :D 
m
l
November 8, 2011 3:58:07 PM

deus ex: human revolution is a good game but it is more focused on sneaking and rpg elements than fps combat
m
l
November 8, 2011 6:59:53 PM

HL2 plus Ep1 and Ep2 (if you haven't played them already). Yeah, it is aging. But Ep2 still has one of the most impactful endings I've ever experienced in a video game. Which is why Valve better be well on their way with concluding the series!!!!
m
l
November 8, 2011 8:02:38 PM

Look like most of my favorites are already up (Crysis / Warhead, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC and CoP, Metro2033).

I loved FEAR, and I played it well after it was already out for years and considered antiquated. I think the story is interesting, the AI was way above average for games of that time (shoot, it's better than some modern games), and the atmosphere / gameplay is great. Contrary to a lot of opinion, I actually like FEAR 2 as well....I wouldn't call it a great game, but IMO it is a definitely a good one....and for the price that you can get the whole package now on STEAM it is certainly worth a play.

I'm going to take some flak for this one (I always do), but one of my favorite FPS campaigns is FarCry2. I was into the story, the environment, the gameplay......yes, it is repetitive, but this game just has that intangible quality that draws me in to a good game.
m
l
November 8, 2011 8:23:14 PM

I really liked Crysis (1 & 2), you should def try it.
m
l
November 8, 2011 11:27:37 PM

Tonnes of great answers here, I shall replay fear and then try fear2 (with an adult diaper on). I loved the stalker series but i never thought of trying mods so that sounds very good. I got several more years of fun out of Oblivion with some mods.
I am currently 3 hrs in to crysis 2 but im finding it a little annoying hard to put my finger on what it could be tough. The half-life 2s i will play again just cause the crowbar rocks my world, i have seen some where you can mod the portal gun in to the game to that may be a bit of fun.
Gothams finest listed Deus ex, i will give it a go. i never played the first one though should i?

Cheers to all.
m
l
November 8, 2011 11:41:14 PM

jamesvini said:
Tonnes of great answers here, I shall replay fear and then try fear2 (with an adult diaper on). I loved the stalker series but i never thought of trying mods so that sounds very good. I got several more years of fun out of Oblivion with some mods.
I am currently 3 hrs in to crysis 2 but im finding it a little annoying hard to put my finger on what it could be tough. The half-life 2s i will play again just cause the crowbar rocks my world, i have seen some where you can mod the portal gun in to the game to that may be a bit of fun.
Gothams finest listed Deus ex, i will give it a go. i never played the first one though should i?

Cheers to all.

The "Complete Mod" is all you need for any of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. The sleeping bag alone is worth the mod. ;) 
m
l
November 9, 2011 3:58:23 AM

jamesvini said:
I am currently 3 hrs in to crysis 2 but im finding it a little annoying hard to put my finger on what it could be tough.

You're not liking Crysis 2 because it relies a lot less on stealth and evasion than Crysis and Crysis: Warhead. You may not notice it while playing the game, but when you're done you don't have that sense of "wow, I outsmarted the AI there" you had when completing a mission on Crysis. Also, the AI infantry (general aliens) is damn stupid, slower than on Crysis (they don't fly) and much easier to kill. It's not hard to take on a field filled with 10 of them single-handed, guns blazing with the Nanosuit on Armor, whereas you try that in Crysis or Crysis Warhead you'll maybe kill one or two of the flying aliens before you're dead. Crysis 2 is fun, yes, but it's a lot more straight-forward FPS than a tactical shooter (as Crysis was), and you'll realize that upon completion of the game.

Oh, and I'm also currently doing my third playthrough of Crysis. In between the Brotherhood (most time consuming), Far Cry 2 (although I may skip out on Far Cry 2, it's getting damn repetitive and boring), Unreal Tournament 3 (stoopid AI) and a few others. :na: 
m
l
November 9, 2011 10:06:23 AM

jamesvini said:

The first Deus Ex is an amazing game with a great immersive story and world. I really recommend it as long as you dont mind the the dated graphics as it is an old game now. Its only cheap on steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/6910

Maybe see if there is any gameplay videos on youtube to see what you think to it before buying....

Invisible war is also a great game but is a little lacking ccompared to the original. I can't comment on Human Revolution as I have never played it.
m
l
November 9, 2011 10:08:25 AM

Toxxyc said:
You're not liking Crysis 2 because it relies a lot less on stealth and evasion than Crysis and Crysis: Warhead. You may not notice it while playing the game, but when you're done you don't have that sense of "wow, I outsmarted the AI there" you had when completing a mission on Crysis. Also, the AI infantry (general aliens) is damn stupid, slower than on Crysis (they don't fly) and much easier to kill. It's not hard to take on a field filled with 10 of them single-handed, guns blazing with the Nanosuit on Armor, whereas you try that in Crysis or Crysis Warhead you'll maybe kill one or two of the flying aliens before you're dead. Crysis 2 is fun, yes, but it's a lot more straight-forward FPS than a tactical shooter (as Crysis was), and you'll realize that upon completion of the game.

Oh, and I'm also currently doing my third playthrough of Crysis. In between the Brotherhood (most time consuming), Far Cry 2 (although I may skip out on Far Cry 2, it's getting damn repetitive and boring), Unreal Tournament 3 (stoopid AI) and a few others. :na: 

Is anyone still playing UT3 online?
m
l
November 9, 2011 10:12:53 AM

I have absolutely no idea. I guess if you activate the UT3 CD key on Steam (Activate Product on Steam, quick and easy and can be done with any CD key of the game) you'll find some active servers on Steam itself, but I've never really been one for online FPS games like that, so I'm not at all sure. There's always that one sniper who'll make the game hell for everyone involved... :p 
m
l
November 9, 2011 10:59:03 PM

Toxxyc, I totally see what you mean in regards to crysis 2.
I tried my friends copy of deus ex last night and it does have a cool story line, he had a graphics mod in his copy so Im going to grab a copy and see what the rest of it is like.
Thanks for the suggestions.

What are your thoughts on halo for PC?
I enjoyed the story but i had read the books previously.
m
l
November 10, 2011 9:31:57 AM

You will need the high texture pack for Deus Ex to not be bothered by the low quality textures you'll encounter along the game. A little like Rage as well. All in all though, a great game.

With regards to Halo on PC, I've never seen it on PC before. I was genuinely under the impression that it's a console exclusive game... :/ 
m
l
November 10, 2011 9:42:08 AM

Halo Combat Evolved and Halo 2 are the only Halo games on PC that I'm aware of.

Comabt Evolved is by far the best Halo game, so if you haven't already played it then you should definitely play it, its f ing awesome.

Which Deus Ex did you try James?
m
l
November 10, 2011 10:44:49 AM

Yes play deus ex HR and dead space 2, both have pretty amazing single player. Dead space one was garbage, but the 2nd is pretty good.
m
l
November 10, 2011 9:40:05 PM

Gothem: I tried the first one, with the HD pack. I'll grab a cheap copy this weekend and try that out.

I got the complete mod for stalker COP lastnight and i have to say its pretty wicked. very crisp.

Kyle: i never thought dead space came out on pc i tried the first one on xbox but was not too impressed but ill give 2 a lash.

now that skyrim has come out ill have some thing to take up my time for a while.
Thank you for your help all
m
l
November 11, 2011 11:05:15 PM

kyle382 said:
Yes play deus ex HR and dead space 2, both have pretty amazing single player. Dead space one was garbage, but the 2nd is pretty good.

Calling Dead Space 1 is too harsh. The second one is just better than the first. I'm guessing that you don't like the slow movement speed as well as the sluggish targeting and turn speed. :p  It was designed that way to make it more thrilling. Nothing beats being chased by a monster and slowly turning around, just in time to shoot off one of its limbs. Then stomping the hell out of it. :bounce: 

As for the topic, Bioshock 1 and 2. If you want pants shitting scares, Amnesia.
m
l
!