Skyrim and OCing

tomlikesguitar

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hello all, just two quick questions.

First, do you think my PC will run Skyrim well enough to justify getting it on PC vs 360.

Second, do you think my CPU or Video Card are OC'd too much with no cooling? Prime 95 ran for a good 15 hours with no errors and didn't really get very hot and I've stress tested the GPU multiple times as well.

Thank you all for your time.

hanrak

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
And you would like us to answer your question based on what? Clairvoyance? Guesswork? Did it seriously not occur to you that not posting what kind of system specs you have wouldnt be a problem?

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

Give him a break...

Here's his system:

AMD Athlon II X2 245 @ 3.5Ghz | BIOSTAR A880G+ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 @ 830MHz GPU, 1600MHz Shader, and 1900MHz VRAM | 2x 2GB Kingston PC3-10700 | Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3Gb/s 1TB HDD | ANTEC NEO ECO 620C 620W PSU | GSA-H60N DVD-RW | 2x Samsung SyncMaster™ 214T 21\" | Windows 7 32bit Professional.

But indeed, he could have done this copy/paste job himself.

hanrak

Distinguished
May 24, 2006

Yeah but come on could his post be any more vague? In fact i think its deliberately vague.

1. He wants us to tell him if his system is overclocked enough without putting any of his specs down.
2. Hes asking whether his system can run Skyrim. Nobody knows how well it will run except the developers as its not even released yet.
3. Hes asking if his system is too hot due OCing without even a mere mention of his system temps.
4. Does anybody really need to even ask if its going to be better on the PC over consoles?

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Mods, this game will have mods. Oblivion mods got me to buy a PC for gaming, and I have just built my second rig because I fell in love with the flexibility and customizability the platform offers.

This game can only be enjoyed in full on the PC. Because the user generated content will no doubt be insane. I am aware the engine is new and the CS will be different, but people (self included) will pick it up quick :D

tomlikesguitar

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Holy crap I'm sorry... I really thought that putting my system specs in my profile would throw them in my sig as well... my bad. But yeah, ill try to be more specific.

I'm really only worried about having only 4 Gb RAM on a 32 bit OS and only having a dual core CPU, overclocked as it may be.

I said my temps are quite low, but as far as numbers, CPU stays below 55 and GPU below 60 while stressing.

Also, I've been gaming for a while even if my hardware knowledge is ***. I have oblivs for pc and xbox and I know PC is usually hands down better for Bethesda; I just wanna make surr there's nothing blaringly wrong with my pc that would prevent me from playing it and having it run as good as xbox with at least slightly better graphics.

hanrak

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Ok mate nps. Anyway to answer your question but like I say it would be an educated guess, i would think if your running oblivion with out any hiccups you should not have any problems running skyrim on on max to medium. Your temps seem nice and cool so im sure you could squeeze a little more juice out of your cpu, maybe try and bump it up to 4Ghz because if anywhere thats gonna be your bottle neck. And yeah its definately gonna be better on PC as always ;)

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
1. Your CPU is dual core, and it's AMD to boot. That's double jeopardy.
2. You are running a 32 bit operating system. Win 7 64 would run it much better.
3. Adding 2GB of memory wouldn't hurt.
4. Your GPU is fine for Skyrim (educated guess), but your CPU is the real bneck.

tomlikesguitar

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Okay, a few more questions that I hopefully don't look too dumb for asking:

1. why is that double jeopardy?
2. can I just get 64 bit without changing hardware?
3. can you suggest some memory? should I just buy the exact same memory for compatibility?
4. can you suggest a CPU? I'm on a budget and I always end up sucking at balancing price and processing power...

I'll address these:
1) Your CPU likely won't hold you back in this game. Most games are not optimized for quad cores, but we really don't know much about Skyrim, other than it will be a beautiful looking game on the PC, provided you have a decent video card. Overclocking this CPU higher may not be harmful, but is it feasible? I've never heard of an Athlon II hitting 4 GHz, but I suppose anything is possible.

2) Yes you can install 64 bit OS. It will NOT help you with this game other than instead of having 3 GB of ram accessible, you will have all 4 GB available. You can get 4 more gigs of ram if you like, but I doubt you would see any perceivable difference in performance. Let me rephrase that, there won't be a significant difference!

3) Yes, buy the same exact memory unless you find a steal on an 8 GB kit that would be better (faster, better timings, etc.) 8 gigs of memory will be useless with a 32 bit OS.

4 CPU suggestions would be very motherboard dependent. The Biostar board is an AM3 it appears, so if you were really worried about maxing the game out, or for other purposes (general computing, multitasking), then the only CPU you should really be looking at is the X4 955BE. Bump voltage to 1.4V, set multi to 18X and enjoy your 3.6Ghz quad core.

tomlikesguitar

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

I don't follow... what is kinda like wow?