Build new reliable KT133A?

G

I am ready to build another computer, this one for my daughter. I am interested in a very reliable system. I am planning to move over existing video, HD, modem and buy new MB, CPU and memory. I have been considering the AMD KT133A chipset versions with the leading candidate an ASUS A7V133-whatever. I am hoping that all of the bugs are out of the BIOS and I can give her a modest simple system that will last a while and still leaves some room for upgrades if necessary. Am I on the right track for a very reliable system? Which board would you recommend?

An alternative I have considered is a P3 BX system which as I read here is one of the most reliable systems. If I went this way, what would be the best board here that is readily available? I might have to buy on Ebay but I don't relish the idea for a motherboard.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thx

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
KT133A chipset doesn't support DDR memory. Price of DDR is almost thr same as PC-133. Shuttle (something) mobo with KT266A chipset is cheap, reliable and fast (requires DDR). It supports all AMD CPUs, from Duron up to AthlonXP, so it can be upgraded later.
Regarding memory, 128 Mb PC2100 should work. Later, if needed, you can add another 128.
Regarding where to buy, check <A HREF="http://NewEgg.com" target="_new">http://NewEgg.com</A>.
mobo SHUTTLE AK31A $85 ($7 s+h)
CPU lowest AMD DURON 750MHz $30 ($6.95 s+h) (w/o HSF)
CPU highest AMD ATHLON XP 1800+ $214 ($6.95 s+h) (w/o HSF)
HSF Thermaltake VOLCANO II $8 ($4 s+h)
memory Crucial Micron 128MB 16x64 PC2100 DDR RAM $20 ($4)
memory Crucial Micron 256MB 32x64 PC2100 DDR RAM $36 ($4)
Lowest $143 ($22 s+h)
Highest $343 ($22 s+h)

Breaking news: Intel hit by a SledgeHammer! AMD to blame! More in just a moment...

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I've had no trouble with this motherboard. The only problem I've had is trying to reset the BIOS using soldier points instead of jumpers, in which I shorted it out stupidly. Since you're not overclocking, you'll have no problem. Stability is standard.

Although some people have been reporting problems in the past with the SB Live sound card, I don't think they exist anymore. BIOS updates and VIA 4-in-1 drivers have basically fixed the problem.

It doesn't support DDR memory, but my system is fast enough for my needs. I don't know what kind of hard drive your old one is, but if it isn't ATA100, it might hold back your performance. But, if reliability is everything, don't worry about it.

Don't pay any attention to my chickenscratch. :eek:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Did you just recommend a Shuttle KT266a board based on stability?

My KT7a-RAID (KT133a chipset) is VERY stable, and has great tweaking options (in case it matters). I recommend it highly. However, no need to update the BIOS. I did, and lost some options :(
L2 ECC checking, etc.

<font color=orange>Quarter <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Why do I have a sudden urge to throw him on an open fire?

<font color=orange>Quarter <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

Thanks for all of the help. I note you like the ABIT KT7A-Raid. I am using that one now and it is not fully functional. I had to disable DMA access for the HD to keep running. This took me a long while trying to get it to stay up. In the meantime I reloaded W98SE three times and I still need to try one more time before I throw the board away. I have a new power supply on order and I hope that sets the basis for a reliable system reload. I don't want to go through that experience again.

G

I hope you are wrong on the Via reliability but I am afraid you may be right. What path would you recommend?

I do play chess casually, coffee house style.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
am using that one now and it is not fully functional. I had to disable DMA access for the HD to keep running.
It's not a good idea to disable DMA for HD, it can slow your system significantly.
There is something wrong with your system. It might be an IRQ conflict among devices. Check to see if there is one. I used to have <b>Abit KT7-RAID</b> (<i>KT133</i> not <b><font color=red>A</b></font color=red>) and it was very stable. The Highpoint controller is not cooperative when it comes to sharing an IRQ with another device so don't put any in PCI slot 5 that shares IRQ with it.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.