Offline selling

Do you think Sony will ever allow for offline selling in either EQ Live or
EQ 2? Staying logged in while I'm at work or sleeping stinks.
25 answers Last reply
More about offline selling

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:29:49 GMT, JK wrote:

    > Do you think Sony will ever allow for offline selling in either EQ Live or
    > EQ 2? Staying logged in while I'm at work or sleeping stinks.

    My opinion is probably not. They've had five years in EQ1 to do it and
    didn't bother with it in EQ2 so I'd say it probably isn't going to happen.
    --
    RJB
    12/8/2004 11:11:43 AM

    "If there are any questions, direct them to that brick wall over there." --
    Network President (South Park)

    "JK" <kolf@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Do you think Sony will ever allow for offline selling in either EQ Live or
    > EQ 2? Staying logged in while I'm at work or sleeping stinks.

    From
    http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=faq&message.id=4

    Will there be a bazaar in EverQuest II?

    There is no Bazaar zone in EverQuest II as there is in EQ. Instead, each
    city has a market. You can open up a store within your home and put items up
    for sale, which can either be purchased directly from you or through a
    broker. The standard market is accessible only within city borders, but
    items listed for sale in the opposing city may be purchased through a
    black-market broker (for a price, of course).

    Can I put items up for sale anywhere?

    In order to list your items for sale in the city market, you must be online
    and in your house. You can enter vendor mode which lets you be away from the
    keyboard while still allowing other players to buy from you.

    Why did you decide on an online vendor model instead of allowing sales while
    the player is offline?

    We understand that offline vending makes buying and selling easy, and some
    players would like the convenience of this feature.
    However, there is a downside to such convenience. The ability to instantly
    buy any item at any time changes the fundamental experience of the game.
    Instead of logging in to seek adventure, you're logging in to go to an
    online shopping mall. The fun of this game is meant to be in going out and
    killing monsters to get loot and finding components to make items, not
    clicking the mouse a few times to have whatever you want.
    The online vendor model allows a lot of convenience while still putting
    limitations on the flow of items and cash in the market. The economy is
    bound to grow quickly on its own, and we prefer not to accelerate the pace
    immediately by making buying and selling instantly trivial.

    --
    EQ: Binnen 65+ enc - Zeb
    EQ2: Lahr 10+ enc - Kith

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 17:10:08 GMT, Foxeye Vaeltaja wrote:

    > Has anyone noticed the "kicking" of the overnight merchants? I can leave
    > my character in merchant mode all day...9 hours straight...and she never
    > goes down. But at night, she can't go more than 2 hours before the room
    > instances are mysteriously "down" and everyone is kicked out of their inn
    > rooms.

    Haven't had mine online during the day but on two of two overnights my
    merchants were offline when I woke up. I'm getting seriously peeved with
    this game in some respects.
    --
    RJB
    12/8/2004 12:47:21 PM

    There's nothing as pathetic as an aging hipster.
    --Dr. Evil

    "RJB" <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 17:10:08 GMT, Foxeye Vaeltaja wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone noticed the "kicking" of the overnight merchants? I can leave
    >> my character in merchant mode all day...9 hours straight...and she never
    >> goes down. But at night, she can't go more than 2 hours before the room
    >> instances are mysteriously "down" and everyone is kicked out of their inn
    >> rooms.
    >
    > Haven't had mine online during the day but on two of two overnights my
    > merchants were offline when I woke up. I'm getting seriously peeved with
    > this game in some respects.

    /shrug the game is still new. I imagine they'll be kicking people off
    regularly for another month. But yes, it's definitely annoying.

    Keep in mind that it's not always them. Are you SURE that your ISP works
    flawlessly while you're asleep? Unless my EQ bazaar mule does a /who when
    he logs back on and sees less than 50 in the bazaar I assume it's my
    connection to their server causing the problem. I mention EQ because I have
    never gotten around to checking in EQ2 on that mule.

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 12:53:23 -0500, Dan Harmon wrote:

    > "RJB" <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 17:10:08 GMT, Foxeye Vaeltaja wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone noticed the "kicking" of the overnight merchants? I can leave
    >>> my character in merchant mode all day...9 hours straight...and she never
    >>> goes down. But at night, she can't go more than 2 hours before the room
    >>> instances are mysteriously "down" and everyone is kicked out of their inn
    >>> rooms.
    >>
    >> Haven't had mine online during the day but on two of two overnights my
    >> merchants were offline when I woke up. I'm getting seriously peeved with
    >> this game in some respects.
    >
    > /shrug the game is still new. I imagine they'll be kicking people off
    > regularly for another month. But yes, it's definitely annoying.
    >
    > Keep in mind that it's not always them. Are you SURE that your ISP works
    > flawlessly while you're asleep? Unless my EQ bazaar mule does a /who when
    > he logs back on and sees less than 50 in the bazaar I assume it's my
    > connection to their server causing the problem. I mention EQ because I have
    > never gotten around to checking in EQ2 on that mule.

    Of course I'm not *sure* it isn't the ISP. I don't work for Verizon nor do
    I know what their maintenance schedules are. I do know that I don't get
    kicked from several P2P apps and other associated online apps. I know it
    may not even be Verizon's fault but some intermediary. It could be that
    since the server is full some Europeans or Asians are hitting the server
    while I'm asleep (nor do I blame them). I take into account for all that
    and frankly this peevage is a minor one. However, added up with the other
    little peevages, I'm seriously beginning to wonder how long this one will
    hold my attention.
    --
    RJB
    12/8/2004 1:12:25 PM

    "The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."
    -James Bond: Tomorrow Never Dies

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Dan Harmon wrote:

    > Keep in mind that it's not always them. Are you SURE that your ISP works
    > flawlessly while you're asleep?

    No, but...it isn't that I'm necessarily kicked out of the game, you see.
    I'll either still be in character select screen, or standing outside the
    player housing.

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Jerelyn Foxeye -- http://www.foxeye-art.com

    On Antonia Bayle (EQ):
    [20 Iksar Templar] Viizanafyaeth
    [6 High Elf Fighter] Foxeye

    On Order (Horizons):
    [10 Monk/Druid Saris] Foxeye

    Foxeye Vaeltaja wrote:
    > On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Dan Harmon wrote:
    >

    >>Keep in mind that it's not always them. Are you SURE that your ISP works
    >>flawlessly while you're asleep?
    >

    > No, but...it isn't that I'm necessarily kicked out of the game, you see.
    > I'll either still be in character select screen, or standing outside the
    > player housing.

    Very odd...

    Maybe they are having to reboot instance servers regularly? (Biggest
    disaster in an SoE game, and afaik has not changed yet, was that they
    had to reboot the SWG servers Every Single Day after they went live.
    Every morning at 6 am CST (I use CST because that's what I'm on) or so,
    all servers go down, then come back up in random order one at a time.
    The random order was because Wanderhome was starting to revolt always
    being down till 8:30 CST or so.

    Mind you, I don't play that game anymore, so things may have changed.)
    Anyway it might be something like that.

    <SNIP>

    > Why did you decide on an online vendor model instead of allowing sales while
    > the player is offline?
    >
    > We understand that offline vending makes buying and selling easy, and some
    > players would like the convenience of this feature.
    > However, there is a downside to such convenience. The ability to instantly
    > buy any item at any time changes the fundamental experience of the game.
    > Instead of logging in to seek adventure, you're logging in to go to an
    > online shopping mall. The fun of this game is meant to be in going out and
    > killing monsters to get loot and finding components to make items, not
    > clicking the mouse a few times to have whatever you want.
    > The online vendor model allows a lot of convenience while still putting
    > limitations on the flow of items and cash in the market. The economy is
    > bound to grow quickly on its own, and we prefer not to accelerate the pace
    > immediately by making buying and selling instantly trivial.

    Translation.. you wouldnt need a mule account to sell then and you would deprive sony of $12 a month. thank you have a nice day

    In article <QMmdnVGfMMCupCrcRVn-hQ@giganews.com>, Dan Harmon quoted the EQ2
    devs:
    > However, there is a downside to such convenience. The ability to instantly
    > buy any item at any time changes the fundamental experience of the game.
    > Instead of logging in to seek adventure, you're logging in to go to an
    > online shopping mall. The fun of this game is meant to be in going out and
    > killing monsters to get loot and finding components to make items, not
    > clicking the mouse a few times to have whatever you want.

    Hmm...what about tradeskillers? Haven't they said that being a tradeskiller
    instead of an adventurer is supposed to be viable?

    Also, if I'm supposed to be out killing monsters, aren't I more likely to do
    that if I can find the items I want to buy quickly and then go fight, rather
    than having to hang around the city waiting for someone with the item I want
    to log in and start selling?

    I think they are making a fundamental error here. If there are items that
    they do not want to see easily available for sale, they need to limit those
    items from coming into the world too fast in the first place. Letting the
    items in and then trying to limit their circulation by making trading more
    difficult is a bad approach.

    --
    --Tim Smith

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 01:50:23 GMT, Bob Jones
    <whatwattSpamArghBahh@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >> Why did you decide on an online vendor model instead of allowing sales while
    >> the player is offline?

    >> We understand that offline vending makes buying and selling easy, and some
    >> players would like the convenience of this feature.
    >> However, there is a downside to such convenience. The ability to instantly
    >> buy any item at any time changes the fundamental experience of the game.
    >> Instead of logging in to seek adventure, you're logging in to go to an
    >> online shopping mall. The fun of this game is meant to be in going out and
    >> killing monsters to get loot and finding components to make items, not
    >> clicking the mouse a few times to have whatever you want.
    >> The online vendor model allows a lot of convenience while still putting
    >> limitations on the flow of items and cash in the market. The economy is
    >> bound to grow quickly on its own, and we prefer not to accelerate the pace
    >> immediately by making buying and selling instantly trivial.

    >Translation.. you wouldnt need a mule account to sell then and you would deprive sony of $12 a month. thank you have a nice day

    Yes I agree. The whole "having to be logged in and playing" in order
    sell is stupid, and ruins any chance of running a successful shop for
    most people. Other games let you have offline vendors and I don't see
    their economies failing.

    The arguments they give don't make sense. You still have to go out and
    kill monsters in order to get funds to buy things.

    Cheers,

    Fazza wrote:
    =
    > Yes I agree. The whole "having to be logged in and playing" in order
    > sell is stupid, and ruins any chance of running a successful shop for
    > most people. Other games let you have offline vendors and I don't see
    > their economies failing.
    >
    > The arguments they give don't make sense. You still have to go out and
    > kill monsters in order to get funds to buy things.

    EQ1 did the same sort of thing and I don't remember anyone complaining
    about it much; you want to sell things, you leave your character online
    holding them.

    You don't have to be "Playing", in fact its mostly better not to, you
    just leave the computer hooked up with the game on overnight, or during
    the day while you're at school/work.

    Used to be, in the dark days before the bazaar, that you did have to be
    "playing" to sell things, as there was no automated way to do it; we
    used to sit around in the East Commonlands tunnel hitting an auction
    hotkey with a list of our items every now and then.

    I'm enough of an oldtimer to remember those days, but I'm not going to
    give you the old "uphill both ways, and we Liked It That Way" speech;
    the bazaar was a hundred times better for the majority of people, who
    don't really enjoy haggling all that much.

    I don't really see how being able to go into vendor mode offline would
    hurt all that much, as implemented in EQ2, but in EQ1 I can think of a
    problem; the bazaar zone was the only place you could do this, and it
    was always very crowded with vendors and people shopping, in fact on
    some servers they got up to their imposed limit on how many people could
    be in vendor mode at any one time, so new vendors weren't allowed till
    someone dropped out. Even with this limit in place, it was usually the
    laggiest zone in the game, which is to say, the most crowded. If you
    could be in vendor mode without being on line you'd see ten times as
    many vendors... heck, I'd still have a character in vendor mode even
    though I quit the game months ago; I'd have put my stuff to sell on him
    and left him in vendor mode in case I ever come back.

    Since vendors aren't all crowded into one EQ2 zone (and since they could
    just instance the bazaar zone if there was one) I don't see how the same
    can be said of EQ2; does anyone who -is- playing EQ2 know of a similar
    crowding issue that might develop? Say, that the mechanism to hunt for
    vendors can become overcrowded?

    Lance

    "Lance Berg" <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in message

    > You don't have to be "Playing", in fact its mostly better not to, you just
    > leave the computer hooked up with the game on overnight, or during the day
    > while you're at school/work.

    You can't be playing. You must be in your room at the inn. Being a vendor
    costs at least 5s a week in rent (500c which is worth a heck of a lot more
    in EQ2 than EQ :) ). To buy stuff you can use centrally located brokers, or
    go to the person's room and buy directly from them (and save on broker
    commission fee if I understand that correctly) but if you do that you likely
    will have to travel to their home town (max of one zone away).

    On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Dan Harmon wrote:

    > Being a vendor costs at least 5s a week in rent (500c which is worth a
    > heck of a lot more in EQ2 than EQ :) ).

    A bit of a tangent, but some folks may not know this bit of advice.
    Instead of paying the 5s, claim all your apartment items before your time
    is up, relinquish it, and rebuy it. Since the purchase-price is free, you
    won't ever have to pay rent. Though you do have to remember to get all
    your items before the time is up, or else you'd lose them if you
    relinquish the apartment.

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    In article <Pine.LNX.4.58.0412091231280.17105@bolt.sonic.net>,
    foxeye@EEKSPAM.com says...

    > On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Dan Harmon wrote:
    >
    > > Being a vendor costs at least 5s a week in rent (500c which is worth a
    > > heck of a lot more in EQ2 than EQ :) ).
    >
    > A bit of a tangent, but some folks may not know this bit of advice.
    > Instead of paying the 5s, claim all your apartment items before your time
    > is up, relinquish it, and rebuy it. Since the purchase-price is free, you
    > won't ever have to pay rent. Though you do have to remember to get all
    > your items before the time is up, or else you'd lose them if you
    > relinquish the apartment.

    Might want to /bug that. I'm sure Sony doesn't want to reward players
    who jump through moronic hoops to save 5sp. And its easily fixed by
    putting a 5sp purchase price on the place.

    42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in

    > In article <Pine.LNX.4.58.0412091231280.17105@bolt.sonic.net>,
    > foxeye@EEKSPAM.com says...
    >>
    >> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Dan Harmon wrote:
    >>
    >> > Being a vendor costs at least 5s a week in rent (500c which is
    >> > worth a heck of a lot more in EQ2 than EQ :) ).
    >>
    >> A bit of a tangent, but some folks may not know this bit of advice.
    >> Instead of paying the 5s, claim all your apartment items before your
    >> time is up, relinquish it, and rebuy it. Since the purchase-price is
    >> free, you won't ever have to pay rent. Though you do have to
    >> remember to get all your items before the time is up, or else you'd
    >> lose them if you relinquish the apartment.
    >>

    > Might want to /bug that. I'm sure Sony doesn't want to reward players
    > who jump through moronic hoops to save 5sp. And its easily fixed by
    > putting a 5sp purchase price on the place.

    You don't have to pay the upkeep until you actually want to go back into
    the apartment.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
    Graeme, 17 Dwarven Shaman, 14 Scholar

    "42" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > In article <Pine.LNX.4.58.0412091231280.17105@bolt.sonic.net>,
    > foxeye@EEKSPAM.com says...
    > >
    > > On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Dan Harmon wrote:
    > >
    > > > Being a vendor costs at least 5s a week in rent (500c which is worth a
    > > > heck of a lot more in EQ2 than EQ :) ).
    > >
    > > A bit of a tangent, but some folks may not know this bit of advice.
    > > Instead of paying the 5s, claim all your apartment items before your
    time
    > > is up, relinquish it, and rebuy it. Since the purchase-price is free,
    you
    > > won't ever have to pay rent. Though you do have to remember to get all
    > > your items before the time is up, or else you'd lose them if you
    > > relinquish the apartment.
    > >

    > Might want to /bug that. I'm sure Sony doesn't want to reward players
    > who jump through moronic hoops to save 5sp. And its easily fixed by
    > putting a 5sp purchase price on the place.

    Which of course means that new people fresh off IoR will be unable to get
    their apartment, will be unable to talk to the caretaker, and will be unable
    to do the citizenship quest.

    On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Ken Andrews wrote:

    > "42" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <Pine.LNX.4.58.0412091231280.17105@bolt.sonic.net>,
    > >
    > > Might want to /bug that. I'm sure Sony doesn't want to reward players
    > > who jump through moronic hoops to save 5sp. And its easily fixed by
    > > putting a 5sp purchase price on the place.
    >
    > Which of course means that new people fresh off IoR will be unable to get
    > their apartment, will be unable to talk to the caretaker, and will be unable
    > to do the citizenship quest.

    Aye, there's no way to stop it short of screwing over new characters or
    doing away with the ability to get rid of your apartment. And since this
    technique was mentioned often on the beta boards, I doubt the developers
    are unaware of it.

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:03:50 -0500, "Dan Harmon" <deharmon@bigfoot.com>
    wrote:

    >"Lance Berg" <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> You don't have to be "Playing", in fact its mostly better not to, you just
    >> leave the computer hooked up with the game on overnight, or during the day
    >> while you're at school/work.
    >
    >You can't be playing. You must be in your room at the inn. Being a vendor
    >costs at least 5s a week in rent (500c which is worth a heck of a lot more
    >in EQ2 than EQ :) ). To buy stuff you can use centrally located brokers, or
    >go to the person's room and buy directly from them (and save on broker
    >commission fee if I understand that correctly) but if you do that you likely
    >will have to travel to their home town (max of one zone away).

    If they don't want to allow offline selling, how about making it that
    as soon as you log on your shop opens for business ? That way I could
    be off adventuring while my shop is running and would give even more
    time with a vendor going.

    It is just stupid that I have to have my system up and running and
    connected with EQ running and a character just standing there doing
    nothing. I don't want to run my system 24 hours a day with EQ running
    in the background.

    Cheers,

    Probably due to all the patches they've been doing recently. They
    happen overnight (if you live in the US) and will kick you off.

    In article <Pine.LNX.4.58.0412091515290.13620@bolt.sonic.net>,
    foxeye@EEKSPAM.com says...

    > On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Ken Andrews wrote:
    >
    > > "42" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > In article <Pine.LNX.4.58.0412091231280.17105@bolt.sonic.net>,
    > > >
    > > > Might want to /bug that. I'm sure Sony doesn't want to reward players
    > > > who jump through moronic hoops to save 5sp. And its easily fixed by
    > > > putting a 5sp purchase price on the place.
    > >
    > > Which of course means that new people fresh off IoR will be unable to get
    > > their apartment, will be unable to talk to the caretaker, and will be unable
    > > to do the citizenship quest.

    Unless of course, they -start- with it.

    > Aye, there's no way to stop it short of screwing over new characters or
    > doing away with the ability to get rid of your apartment. And since this
    > technique was mentioned often on the beta boards, I doubt the developers
    > are unaware of it.

    Ah... even so, I'm sure it wasn't a beta priority.

    Foxeye Vaeltaja <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> writes:

    > On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Ken Andrews wrote:
    >
    > > "42" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > In article <Pine.LNX.4.58.0412091231280.17105@bolt.sonic.net>,
    > > >
    > > > Might want to /bug that. I'm sure Sony doesn't want to reward players
    > > > who jump through moronic hoops to save 5sp. And its easily fixed by
    > > > putting a 5sp purchase price on the place.
    > >
    > > Which of course means that new people fresh off IoR will be unable
    > > to get their apartment, will be unable to talk to the caretaker,
    > > and will be unable to do the citizenship quest.
    >
    > Aye, there's no way to stop it short of screwing over new characters or
    > doing away with the ability to get rid of your apartment. And since this
    > technique was mentioned often on the beta boards, I doubt the developers
    > are unaware of it.

    They could just make it so the first apartment is free, but the second
    you have to pay. Not terribly difficult to achieve.

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, BombayMix wrote:

    > Probably due to all the patches they've been doing recently. They
    > happen overnight (if you live in the US) and will kick you off.

    Probably not. :) Those are in the morning. These kicks happen at 11:00 pm,
    midnight, and presumably sometime before I wake up at 6am (and the patch
    happens at 7am).

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Jerelyn Foxeye -- http://www.foxeye-art.com

    On Antonia Bayle (EQ):
    [20 Iksar Templar] Viizanafyaeth
    [6 High Elf Fighter] Foxeye

    On Order (Horizons):
    [10 Monk/Druid Saris] Foxeye

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 01:51:21 GMT, Tim Smith
    <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

    >In article <QMmdnVGfMMCupCrcRVn-hQ@giganews.com>, Dan Harmon quoted the EQ2
    >devs:
    >> However, there is a downside to such convenience. The ability to instantly
    >> buy any item at any time changes the fundamental experience of the game.
    >> Instead of logging in to seek adventure, you're logging in to go to an
    >> online shopping mall. The fun of this game is meant to be in going out and
    >> killing monsters to get loot and finding components to make items, not
    >> clicking the mouse a few times to have whatever you want.
    >
    >Hmm...what about tradeskillers? Haven't they said that being a tradeskiller
    >instead of an adventurer is supposed to be viable?

    Aye, they've painted themselves into the corner on this one. Really,
    I'm betting that the RL economic argument ("this way they'll have to
    pay us for a second account") is holding sway here. Given the goals
    they've stated for tradeskiller game-play, there's no decent excuse
    for them to not have a consignment shop. Put a fairly stiff fee on
    it if necessary (say 25-30%).

    kaev

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 01:50:23 GMT in
    <zbOtd.159741$V41.13883@attbi_s52>, Bob Jones
    <whatwattSpamArghBahh@mindspring.com> graced the world with this
    thought:

    ><SNIP>
    >>
    >> Why did you decide on an online vendor model instead of allowing sales while
    >> the player is offline?
    >>
    >> We understand that offline vending makes buying and selling easy, and some
    >> players would like the convenience of this feature.
    >> However, there is a downside to such convenience. The ability to instantly
    >> buy any item at any time changes the fundamental experience of the game.
    >> Instead of logging in to seek adventure, you're logging in to go to an
    >> online shopping mall. The fun of this game is meant to be in going out and
    >> killing monsters to get loot and finding components to make items, not
    >> clicking the mouse a few times to have whatever you want.
    >> The online vendor model allows a lot of convenience while still putting
    >> limitations on the flow of items and cash in the market. The economy is
    >> bound to grow quickly on its own, and we prefer not to accelerate the pace
    >> immediately by making buying and selling instantly trivial.
    >>

    >Translation.. you wouldnt need a mule account to sell then and you would deprive sony of $12 a month. thank you have a nice day

    ummm.... aren't you already paying them to play the game?

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 02:40:53 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
    wrote:

    >>Translation.. you wouldnt need a mule account to sell then and you would deprive sony of $12 a month. thank you have a nice day
    >
    >ummm.... aren't you already paying them to play the game?

    Answering for him: Yes, but only for one account. What he's saying is
    that the online requirement for selling encourages those who can
    afford it to purchase and pay for merchant mule accounts in addition
    to their play accounts.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Sympathy for the retailer: