Looking for a GOOD defragger.

November 25, 2004 6:33:03 AM

Anyone else remember the days of the DOS disk defragmenter, when things were
nicely laid out to show the whole contents of the hard drive on a single
screen in a meaningful way, it cleaned up ALL empty spaces between files and
packed everything into a minimal space on the hard drive, and was fully
functional (although extremely slow) if you had so much as a single block of
hard drive space free? Back in the days where the defragment actually
finished, come hell or high water, instead of stopping for no reason and
giving useless error messages, if errors are given at all? I'm looking for a
defragger that has all the power of the original DOS program, but works for
Windows XP. Quite frankly, there's no justifiable reason why anyone should
need to wipe out 10 gigs of files to defrag a 60 gig drive, nor should it
leave all that empty space between files without even giving you an option to
tighten up the space BETWEEN files, too. If anyone can point me in the
direction of a defrag program, fully functional under Windows XP which also
gets around those built in XP defragger's limitations, I'd be much obliged.
Thanks in advance. L8r.

More about : good defragger

Anonymous
November 26, 2004 1:41:33 AM

Why don't you commit suicide? Do us all a favour.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Kosh" <Kosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC71677C-8603-42B9-A0AF-92E941A48156@microsoft.com...
> Anyone else remember the days of the DOS disk defragmenter, when things were
> nicely laid out to show the whole contents of the hard drive on a single
> screen in a meaningful way, it cleaned up ALL empty spaces between files and
> packed everything into a minimal space on the hard drive, and was fully
> functional (although extremely slow) if you had so much as a single block of
> hard drive space free? Back in the days where the defragment actually
> finished, come hell or high water, instead of stopping for no reason and
> giving useless error messages, if errors are given at all? I'm looking for a
> defragger that has all the power of the original DOS program, but works for
> Windows XP. Quite frankly, there's no justifiable reason why anyone should
> need to wipe out 10 gigs of files to defrag a 60 gig drive, nor should it
> leave all that empty space between files without even giving you an option to
> tighten up the space BETWEEN files, too. If anyone can point me in the
> direction of a defrag program, fully functional under Windows XP which also
> gets around those built in XP defragger's limitations, I'd be much obliged.
> Thanks in advance. L8r.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 1:41:34 AM

"David Candy" wrote:

> Why don't you commit suicide? Do us all a favour.

That's a little extreme, don't you think?
November 26, 2004 2:14:04 AM

What do you expect? How important is this?

http://www.uscricket.com
"Kosh" <Kosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4FA0E3A-EE51-41F1-BD0C-84E685CDB51B@microsoft.com...
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Why don't you commit suicide? Do us all a favour.
>
> That's a little extreme, don't you think?
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 2:14:05 AM

"David Candy" wrote:

> What do you expect? How important is this?

Quite frankly, I consider it pretty important to be able to optimise my
system without having to gut a major portion of the data on it to do so. If
you don't see how that could be of any relevance, then please stop posting
here and troll somewhere else. L8r.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 2:14:06 AM

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> What do you expect? How important is this?
>

> Quite frankly, I consider it pretty important to be able to optimise my
> system without having to gut a major portion of the data on it to do so.
> If
> you don't see how that could be of any relevance, then please stop posting
> here and troll somewhere else. L8r.

Mr Candy (to you) is not a troll. His questions are quite valid.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

Kosh wrote:
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> What do you expect? How important is this?
>

> Quite frankly, I consider it pretty important to be able to optimise
> my system without having to gut a major portion of the data on it to
> do so. If you don't see how that could be of any relevance, then
> please stop posting here and troll somewhere else. L8r.

Just ignore David. He's forgotten to take his meds again...

In answer to your question I use Raxco's PerfectDisk and have never had a
problem with it. It will defrag a drive with as little as 1% free space
(though more is obviously beneficial). It also defrags boot and runtime
files. In addition, it can also be set to run as a scheduled task (I have it
set to defrag once a week at 2am, therefore it doesn't interrupt my work,
unless I'm burning the midnight candle at both ends again, or summat! ;o))

A 30-day, fully functional, free trial can be downloaded from www.raxco.com
(just follow the download link).

on salads.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 2:14:07 AM

> Kosh wrote:
>> "David Candy" wrote:
>>
>>> What do you expect? How important is this?
>>

>> Quite frankly, I consider it pretty important to be able to optimise
>> my system without having to gut a major portion of the data on it to
>> do so. If you don't see how that could be of any relevance, then
>> please stop posting here and troll somewhere else. L8r.
>

> Just ignore David. He's forgotten to take his meds again...
>
> In answer to your question I use Raxco's PerfectDisk and have never had a
> problem with it. It will defrag a drive with as little as 1% free space
> (though more is obviously beneficial). It also defrags boot and runtime
> files. In addition, it can also be set to run as a scheduled task (I have
> it set to defrag once a week at 2am, therefore it doesn't interrupt my
> work, unless I'm burning the midnight candle at both ends again, or
> summat! ;o))
>
> A 30-day, fully functional, free trial can be downloaded from
> www.raxco.com (just follow the download link).

How are you getting on with v7.0?

--

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Mr Candy (to you) is not a troll. His questions are quite valid.

Oh really? And how, pray tell, is his question on why I don't just do
everyone a favour by committing suicide "valid" to this thread? Please do
enlighten me, I'd love to know. L8r.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 2:14:07 AM

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> Just ignore David. He's forgotten to take his meds again...
>
> In answer to your question I use Raxco's PerfectDisk and have never had a
> problem with it. It will defrag a drive with as little as 1% free space
> (though more is obviously beneficial). It also defrags boot and runtime
> files. In addition, it can also be set to run as a scheduled task (I have it
> set to defrag once a week at 2am, therefore it doesn't interrupt my work,
> unless I'm burning the midnight candle at both ends again, or summat! ;o))
>
> A 30-day, fully functional, free trial can be downloaded from www.raxco.com
> (just follow the download link).

Thank you, both for your advice and for being the only one so far to take my
post seriously enough to provide a worthwhile reply. L8r.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 2:14:08 AM

I like "VOPTXP" Shareware do a google search for it

Robin0800

Will Denny wrote:
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
>> Kosh wrote:

>>> Quite frankly, I consider it pretty important to be able to optimise
>>> my system without having to gut a major portion of the data on it to
>>> do so. If you don't see how that could be of any relevance, then
>>> please stop posting here and troll somewhere else. L8r.
>>

>> Just ignore David. He's forgotten to take his meds again...
>>
>> In answer to your question I use Raxco's PerfectDisk and have never
>> had a problem with it. It will defrag a drive with as little as 1%
>> free space (though more is obviously beneficial). It also defrags
>> boot and runtime files. In addition, it can also be set to run as a
>> scheduled task (I have it set to defrag once a week at 2am,
>> therefore it doesn't interrupt my work, unless I'm burning the
>> midnight candle at both ends again, or summat! ;o))
>>
>> A 30-day, fully functional, free trial can be downloaded from
>> www.raxco.com (just follow the download link).
>
> How are you getting on with v7.0?

I like the interface better than 6 (the first version I used). There is a
slight bug, in that it misreports the page file as damaged when it clearly
isn't (the colour of the indicator remains either red or yellow, not green
as it should be). I have just upgraded for £17. It's better than Diskeeper
certainly (I hated that).
on salads.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 2:14:08 AM

Will Denny wrote:
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
>> Kosh wrote:

>>> Quite frankly, I consider it pretty important to be able to optimise
>>> my system without having to gut a major portion of the data on it to
>>> do so. If you don't see how that could be of any relevance, then
>>> please stop posting here and troll somewhere else. L8r.
>>

>> Just ignore David. He's forgotten to take his meds again...
>>
>> In answer to your question I use Raxco's PerfectDisk and have never
>> had a problem with it. It will defrag a drive with as little as 1%
>> free space (though more is obviously beneficial). It also defrags
>> boot and runtime files. In addition, it can also be set to run as a
>> scheduled task (I have it set to defrag once a week at 2am,
>> therefore it doesn't interrupt my work, unless I'm burning the
>> midnight candle at both ends again, or summat! ;o))
>>
>> A 30-day, fully functional, free trial can be downloaded from
>> www.raxco.com (just follow the download link).
>
> How are you getting on with v7.0?

v7.0 is a significant performance improvement. Defrag is now *very*
fast; I estimate perhaps x2 or greater than previous versions. No more
refusal to defrag based on its rules - now user choice. Not as fast yet
as OO, but fast enough to not be obtrusive.

November 26, 2004 2:14:09 AM

news:o mopd.696$xt.369@fe48.usenetserver.com...
> Will Denny wrote:
>> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message

>>> Just ignore David. He's forgotten to take his meds again...
>>>
>>> In answer to your question I use Raxco's PerfectDisk and have never
>>> had a problem with it. It will defrag a drive with as little as 1%
>>> free space (though more is obviously beneficial). It also defrags
>>> boot and runtime files. In addition, it can also be set to run as a
>>> scheduled task (I have it set to defrag once a week at 2am,
>>> therefore it doesn't interrupt my work, unless I'm burning the
>>> midnight candle at both ends again, or summat! ;o))
>>>
>>> A 30-day, fully functional, free trial can be downloaded from
>>> www.raxco.com (just follow the download link).
>>
>> How are you getting on with v7.0?
>

> I like the interface better than 6 (the first version I used). There is a
> slight bug, in that it misreports the page file as damaged when it clearly
> isn't (the colour of the indicator remains either red or yellow, not green
> as it should be). I have just upgraded for £17. It's better than Diskeeper
> certainly (I hated that).

That bug was, supposedly, going to be fixed!! Agree with you on the
interface - much clearer to work with.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups
November 26, 2004 2:14:09 AM

Ms Tick...what was it about Diskeeper you didn't like (I use Diskeeper Pro
8.0)??

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
news:o mopd.696$xt.369@fe48.usenetserver.com...
> Will Denny wrote:
>> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message

>>> Just ignore David. He's forgotten to take his meds again...
>>>
>>> In answer to your question I use Raxco's PerfectDisk and have never
>>> had a problem with it. It will defrag a drive with as little as 1%
>>> free space (though more is obviously beneficial). It also defrags
>>> boot and runtime files. In addition, it can also be set to run as a
>>> scheduled task (I have it set to defrag once a week at 2am,
>>> therefore it doesn't interrupt my work, unless I'm burning the
>>> midnight candle at both ends again, or summat! ;o))
>>>
>>> A 30-day, fully functional, free trial can be downloaded from
>>> www.raxco.com (just follow the download link).
>>
>> How are you getting on with v7.0?
>

> I like the interface better than 6 (the first version I used). There is a
> slight bug, in that it misreports the page file as damaged when it clearly
> isn't (the colour of the indicator remains either red or yellow, not green
> as it should be). I have just upgraded for £17. It's better than Diskeeper
> certainly (I hated that).
> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

Anonymous
November 26, 2004 2:14:09 AM

> Will Denny wrote:
>> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message

>>> Just ignore David. He's forgotten to take his meds again...
>>>
>>> In answer to your question I use Raxco's PerfectDisk and have never
>>> had a problem with it. It will defrag a drive with as little as 1%
>>> free space (though more is obviously beneficial). It also defrags
>>> boot and runtime files. In addition, it can also be set to run as a
>>> scheduled task (I have it set to defrag once a week at 2am,
>>> therefore it doesn't interrupt my work, unless I'm burning the
>>> midnight candle at both ends again, or summat! ;o))
>>>
>>> A 30-day, fully functional, free trial can be downloaded from
>>> www.raxco.com (just follow the download link).
>>
>> How are you getting on with v7.0?
>
> v7.0 is a significant performance improvement. Defrag is now *very* fast;
> I estimate perhaps x2 or greater than previous versions. No more refusal
> to defrag based on its rules - now user choice. Not as fast yet as OO,
> but fast enough to not be obtrusive.

Hi

Yes, a lot faster. Probably up to x2. It's also a lot better as it doesn't
need as much free hard disk/partition space to operate, as already pointed
out.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 7:23:13 PM

It will be fixed as part of the first update to PDV7 (release date soon).

- Greg/Raxco Software
Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Want to email me? Delete ntloader.
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
> news:o mopd.696$xt.369@fe48.usenetserver.com...
> > Will Denny wrote:
> >> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message

> >> How are you getting on with v7.0?
> >

> > I like the interface better than 6 (the first version I used). There is
> > slight bug, in that it misreports the page file as damaged when it
clearly
> > isn't (the colour of the indicator remains either red or yellow, not
green
> > as it should be). I have just upgraded for £17. It's better than
Diskeeper
> > certainly (I hated that).
>
> That bug was, supposedly, going to be fixed!! Agree with you on the
> interface - much clearer to work with.
>

> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 7:50:13 PM

"Quite frankly, I consider it pretty important to be able to optimise my
system without having to gut a major portion of the data on it to do so."

I must admit, I always chuckle when I read posts from standalone computer
users who feel they must defragment their hard disks down to the last
percent in order to "optimise" their systems, and feel the need to purchase
third party products to do so. As if it matters.

Now, if you're running a server on a busy network, that's one thing. Your
disks can become dramatically fragmented in no time, and you need heavy duty
defragging to keep the network humming. But a home user? Even with a typical
home network, the extra performance to be gained by using anything other
than XP's own defragmenter is so miniscule as to exist only in the user's
mind.

But hey, if there's money to be made, why not go for it, right? If you can
convince people (scare them, actually) that their performance will suffer
unless they have full time high power defragging, why not play off their
ignorance? After all, look at how many people buy natural remedies from
radio infomercials.
--
Ted Zieglar

news:o l07J1e7EHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...