Current Delema with upgrading old system

lenny64

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2001
Greetings,
I have a current problem in my system which is definately out of date, that seems to point to the M/B.

My current system is a 466 Celeron (socket 370) on a Jetway 993AN MB running the Via Apollo Pro Plus VT82C693 Chipset. This is also running a 32Mb TnT2 M64 made by chaintech (another TW brand) with 256Mb RAM 2X128mB pc133. I am also running win98

Due to the age of the system (MB and Chip ) I am looking to upgrade. Currently getting alot of errors and BSoD's due to installing the latest Via drivers that were acceptable for my chipset. This has increased the stability of my video card at the expense of CD and HD reading. Not good.

Since it is getting old (and I believe the chipset was a first revision) I am looking to upgrade the system ASAP. However I am limited to $$$ and cannot do it all at once.

I would like to go to a AMD sys, pref Athlon 800Mhz with either an Asus or GigaBit MB. However, in the meantime it would be prefereable to keep the celeron until I have enough $$. Is there a M/B that can handle a slot A and Slot 370?

Im not concerned about the TNT2 for the moment, more about the stab. of my current system. There has been no overclocking that I have done.

Thanks for ppls help (in advance)

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
did you say Slot A and socket 370 together?

not in our lifetime. maybe not in this earth's lifetime.

BTW AMD chips dont come in slot A now, they are socket A, a 462 pin socket very veeery veeeery different from the intel's socket370.

you will <i>have to</i> buy a new mobo along with the cpu, if you go AMD way, or just the new board if you decide to keep your celeron.

for AMD, Athlon 800+ ECS K7S5A is good.
for Intel, get the Asus CUBX-E, I doubt newer boards supporting older PPGA celerons.

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

hi
like u i have an old system too and im upgradeing now too.
i ahve a ABIT BH6 mobo with at celeron 300 overclocked to 450 with 128mb ram with a TnT vidio card. when i looked around the best thing to get for the $ was that it was best to keep my mobo and get a celeron 800 becasue it can be easily overclocked to 1.1ghz and the most ive seen if 1.2ghz. Im also going to get Geforce2 mx or mx400 this is a very good card for the $. for the ram i think 256 is good for now.
prices
Gefore2 mx - $80-90
Gefore2 mx400 - $90-100
celeron 800 - $99
256 ram - $45-50
all canadian prices

hope that helps u a bit

DO NOT BUY A MX200
. You will be sorry. It is about as fastas a TNT2, Not a TNT2 ULTRA . The TNT2 ultra is faster at games. At least get the MX400. GTS2 32mb are even faster if you can find one. They are about the same price as the MX400.

I aint signing nothing!!!

G

Would you like me to put on a big smile on your face?? Well....? You know Tom's Hardware Guide have a lot more to offer than just maintaining this message board. I'll show you how: why don't you look around and read about it youself so goto Tom's Guides and click on How To for more comprehensive information and show me that big smile someday!!

John james

G

Check WWW.PRICEWATCH.COM, someone is selling a Celeron 1000 for only $59.

lenny64

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2001
Cheers. After I posted the message I did take a stroll through the archives looking for information. I thought I'd send a post since the last time I was interested in toms hardware & overclocking ... was when quake was released and I was trying to squeeze some more fps froma P166 with a monster and 32mb ram. Those were the days. Haven't had much to do with the upgrading since then due to time, money and the usual... and have been out of the game for a while.

The main reason why I haven't thought about keeping this M/B is that the reports from the diag that I have read/done stated that I had a first version of the motherboard and it was prone to problems.

I have always wanted to go the path of AMD, and thought I'd be dreaming if the same M/B could be used as the CPUs are implemented differently.

Thanks for all your help. :)