vicky

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2003

Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2
Have a swappable bay for 2nd HD and CD/DVD - laptop
My IT re-installed the OS while the second HD was removed.

Problem: Am unable to assign a drive letter to the 2nd HD. Have gone
through diskpart, and all other online help.

The 2nd HD is listed as Healthy, Dynamic, Foreign. It was formatted using
FAT. Any suggestions without re-formatting? I did not have any data backed
up as I didn't know they were going to re-install the OS.

Thanks,
--
Vicky

Moving Disks
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkb_cnc_ykyz.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Vicky" wrote:

| Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2
| Have a swappable bay for 2nd HD and CD/DVD - laptop
| My IT re-installed the OS while the second HD was removed.
|
| Problem: Am unable to assign a drive letter to the 2nd HD. Have gone
| through diskpart, and all other online help.
|
| The 2nd HD is listed as Healthy, Dynamic, Foreign. It was formatted using
| FAT. Any suggestions without re-formatting? I did not have any data backed
| up as I didn't know they were going to re-install the OS.
|
| Thanks,
| --
| Vicky

vicky

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2003

This did not help me with my problem. The Import Foreign Disk is not an
option. Can you give me any other direction?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Moving Disks
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkb_cnc_ykyz.asp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Vicky" wrote:
>
> | Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2
> | Have a swappable bay for 2nd HD and CD/DVD - laptop
> | My IT re-installed the OS while the second HD was removed.
> |
> | Problem: Am unable to assign a drive letter to the 2nd HD. Have gone
> | through diskpart, and all other online help.
> |
> | The 2nd HD is listed as Healthy, Dynamic, Foreign. It was formatted using
> | FAT. Any suggestions without re-formatting? I did not have any data backed
> | up as I didn't know they were going to re-install the OS.
> |
> | Thanks,
> | --
> | Vicky

Disk Status Descriptions
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_rbre.asp

Can not "Import Foreign Disk" on Windows XP system
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Storage/Q_21059268.html

R-Studio Data Recovery Software
http://www.data-recovery-software.net/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Vicky" wrote:

| This did not help me with my problem. The Import Foreign Disk is not an
| option. Can you give me any other direction?

vicky

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2003

So I must find my answer on a site where I pay for the information? Hmm...
Not much help really..

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Disk Status Descriptions
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_rbre.asp
>
> Can not "Import Foreign Disk" on Windows XP system
> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Storage/Q_21059268.html
>
> R-Studio Data Recovery Software
> http://www.data-recovery-software.net/
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Vicky" wrote:
>
> | This did not help me with my problem. The Import Foreign Disk is not an
> | option. Can you give me any other direction?

Why did you convert the drive to a dynamic drive in the
first place? Unless you have a RAID configuration, there
is absolutely no benefit to converting a basic disk to a
dynamic disk, especially with a laptop computer.

Option to Upgrade Basic Disk to Dynamic on Laptop Not Available
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232463

Error Message About Partition Appears When You Install Windows XP to a Dynamic Volume
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283421

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP