HELP- System keeps Freezing

PLEASE HELP! I don't know why but my computer keeps freezing up, and
ctrl+alt+del does nothing. The only way I can get it to work again is by
turning off the computer entirely. It has happened from the very beginning
of startup to after working on the computer for an hour. Now I have found
some of my folders have just disappeared?!? Can anyone tell me what might
fix this?
4 answers Last reply
More about help system freezing

    Could it be that you have a virus or spyware?

    Ted Zieglar

    "sheply" <sheply@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > PLEASE HELP! I don't know why but my computer keeps freezing up, and
    > ctrl+alt+del does nothing. The only way I can get it to work again is by
    > turning off the computer entirely. It has happened from the very
    > beginning
    > of startup to after working on the computer for an hour. Now I have found
    > some of my folders have just disappeared?!? Can anyone tell me what might
    > fix this?

    HI TED...

    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY- I APOLOGIZE FOR TAKING SO LONG TO GET BACK
    TO YOU, BUT THIS HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE. IF YOU SHOULD BE INCLINED TO REPLY
    AGAIN AND COULD DIRECTLY E-MAIL ME AT CS.CS@COMCAST.NET THAT WOULD BE GREAT-
    I CAN ACCESS THAT EASILY FROM MY TREO AND I'VE BEEN HAVING A HECK OF A TIME
    WITH MY COMPUTER (AND GOING ONLINE WITH THE TREO CAN BE VERY SLOW). LET ME
    TELL YOU WHAT I HAVE TRIED AND WHAT HAS HAPPENED...

    I RAN AD-AWARE SE (UPDATED), AND WENT THROUGH THE RESULTS, DELETING THE
    PROBLEMS IT CAME UP WITH... I HAVE THE PRINT OUT OF THAT IF YOU NEED ANY
    INFO, BUT JUST SO YOU KNOW I HAVE SUBSEQUENTLY RUN IT AGAIN AND COME OUT WITH
    0 CRITICAL PROBLEMS.

    I THEN RAN SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY AND ALSO ELIMINATED THE PROBLEMS THAT
    IT LISTED. NOTE: WHENEVER I AM ONLINE, I KEEP GETTING POPUP WINDOWS- "SPYBOT
    SEARCH AND DESTROY REPORTS THAT YOU WANT TO DOWNLOAD "DOUBLECLICK" WITH YES
    AND NO BUTTONS. I'LL HIT NO, BUT ALMOST EVERY NEW WEBSITE THAT I OPEN I KEEP
    GETTING THAT POPUP BEFORE IT WILL LOAD... EBAY IS KILLING ME WITH IT (AND I'M
    SELLING SOME STUFF- ALBEIT MUCH LESS THAN I'D LIKE BECAUSE I CAN'T KEEP MY
    SCREEN UP LONG ENOUGH TO COMPLETE LISTINGS!!)

    IT LISTED THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS FOR THE VIRUSES:
    1. WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\IEACCESS2.DLL (NO FURTHER INFORMATION AVAILABLE)
    2. WINDOWS\SENTRY.EXE (NO FURTHER INFORMATION AVAILABLE)

    AND NOW, WHEN I AM IN A FOLDER, SAY ‘MY DOCUMENTS’, IF I DOUBLE-CLICK A
    FOLDER, WINDOWS POPS UP ASKING WHAT PROGRAM I WANT TO USE TO OPEN THE
    FOLDER??? THE LEFT PANEL (FORGIVE ME IGNORANCE ON THE PROPER TERM) WHICH
    EXPANDS THE FOLDER ‘TREE’ ALLOWS ME TO SHOW THE FOLDER’S CONTENTS IN THE MAIN
    VIEW PANEL, SO I CAN OPEN FILES THAT WAY, BUT THIS IS SOMETHING NEW NOW...

    CAN YOU HELP?? I HAVE EVEN TYPED THIS REPLY INTO A WORD DOC. SAVING EVERY
    TWO SECONDS BECAUSE MY COMPUTER FROZE WHILE TYPING IT IN THE LIVE REPLY
    WINDOW... SO I LOST THIS!!

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > Could it be that you have a virus or spyware?
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "sheply" <sheply@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > PLEASE HELP! I don't know why but my computer keeps freezing up, and
    > > ctrl+alt+del does nothing. The only way I can get it to work again is by
    > > turning off the computer entirely. It has happened from the very
    > > beginning
    > > of startup to after working on the computer for an hour. Now I have found
    > > some of my folders have just disappeared?!? Can anyone tell me what might
    > > fix this?

    Please do not post in capitals. In a newsgroup, that means you are shouting.
    And it's harder on the eyes.

    Sounds like your computer has been seriously compromised. Spyware can be
    notoriously difficult - and sometimes, impossible - to remove. And when you
    are successful in removing spyware, it often makes your system unstable.
    That's why prevention is so much better than cure. And it's yet another
    reason to make regular backups of your system.

    You need to try a few more spyware removal programs. (You can find lists of
    trustworthy programs by reading through the posts in this newsgroup.) If
    you can't completely eliminate the spyware, you'll have to reinstall
    Windows. And if that doesn't help you'll need to wipe your hard disk clean
    and start from scratch.

    The custom in newsgroups is to reply to the group so that all may benefit.
    Frankly, it's also an anti-spam measure.

> [...]
    >
    > CAN YOU HELP?? I HAVE EVEN TYPED THIS REPLY INTO A WORD DOC. SAVING EVERY
    > TWO SECONDS BECAUSE MY COMPUTER FROZE WHILE TYPING IT IN THE LIVE REPLY
    > WINDOW... SO I LOST THIS!!
    >

    > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    >
    >> Could it be that you have a virus or spyware?
    >>
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >>
    >> "sheply" <sheply@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > PLEASE HELP! I don't know why but my computer keeps freezing up, and
    >> > ctrl+alt+del does nothing. The only way I can get it to work again is
    >> > by
    >> > turning off the computer entirely. It has happened from the very
    >> > beginning
    >> > of startup to after working on the computer for an hour. Now I have
    >> > found
    >> > some of my folders have just disappeared?!? Can anyone tell me what

    I appreciate your reply and apologize for the caps. It was unintentional from
    the way my font is default set in Word and I didn't know it would copy in
    like that. I also meant no disservice to anyone in asking for an individual
    reply- it has been very difficult for me to access this website. Sorry if I
    screwed something else up now too. Maybe by next week I can be online long
    enough to find the additional safe sites with the programs you refer to.
    Sorry to have so obviously irritated you.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP