EQ1 base stat changes?

I don't have a Magelo, but I do maintain a private file that, among
other things, lists my equipment and stats. (For one thing, it gives
me something to refer to when my bazaar mule sees an item and wonders
if it's an upgrade.) Each time I ding, I update the file to account
for changes in "recommended level" items.

When I dinged 50, I noticed something odd. My save vs Fire went up
by 1, even though none of my gear showed any change in that stat. So
I stripped down, and found that my naked base SvF (as an Iksar Monk)
is 39, where it used to be 38.

Now, there's nothing wrong with having base stats increase as a
character levels up, and indeed I might wish for more of it, but
having it happen not at all through level 49, and then getting one
point in SvF (nothing else changed) at 50, seems weird. I poked
around some (googling for "Iksar fire 39", for instance) and can't
find any mention of this. Does anyone know anything more about
this, and possibly other, stat increases?

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 50 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 38 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don

Don Woods <don-ns@icynic.com> wrote:
> I don't have a Magelo, but I do maintain a private file that, among
> other things, lists my equipment and stats. (For one thing, it gives
> me something to refer to when my bazaar mule sees an item and wonders
> if it's an upgrade.) Each time I ding, I update the file to account
> for changes in "recommended level" items.

> When I dinged 50, I noticed something odd. My save vs Fire went up
> by 1, even though none of my gear showed any change in that stat. So
> I stripped down, and found that my naked base SvF (as an Iksar Monk)
> is 39, where it used to be 38.

> Now, there's nothing wrong with having base stats increase as a
> character levels up, and indeed I might wish for more of it, but
> having it happen not at all through level 49, and then getting one
> point in SvF (nothing else changed) at 50, seems weird. I poked
> around some (googling for "Iksar fire 39", for instance) and can't
> find any mention of this. Does anyone know anything more about
> this, and possibly other, stat increases?
I can't help you there but my Iksar necromancer is 46 right now. If I
remember this thread when he dings lvl50 I'll watch my fire resistance
and report back here. Unless it is resolved earlier. :)

An idea would be stat food you looted without noticing it being stat
food.

Hagen

Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de> writes:
> An idea would be stat food you looted without noticing it being stat
> food.

Heh, it would have to be stat drink, since I'd notice if I had any food;
I usually go around hungry to keep my Stone of Defiance active. And I
don't think there's any stat drink where I'm hunting, but I'll try
lifting out each bag to make sure. Thanks for the idea.

Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in news:7w3byfllsd.fsf@ca.icynic.com:

> Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de> writes:
>> An idea would be stat food you looted without noticing it being stat
>> food.
>
> Heh, it would have to be stat drink, since I'd notice if I had any food;
> I usually go around hungry to keep my Stone of Defiance active. And I
> don't think there's any stat drink where I'm hunting, but I'll try
> lifting out each bag to make sure. Thanks for the idea.

Can't say for Iksar Monks and Save Fire off hand, but warriors get
increases in Save Magic as they level.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
Graeme, 17 Dwarven Shaman, 14 Scholar

"Don Woods" <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in message

> When I dinged 50, I noticed something odd. My save vs Fire went up
> by 1, even though none of my gear showed any change in that stat. So
> I stripped down, and found that my naked base SvF (as an Iksar Monk)
> is 39, where it used to be 38.

Monks gain FR as they level 50+, and Iksars have an inherent FR bonus (5
points) and CR penalty (10 points). Some other classes gain other resists -
the most dramatic is warriors with MR. A level 1 monk gets 8 FR bonus, and
for every level from 50 on gain 1 FR.

If you ever want to see what happens to various characters as they
level, play with a made-up character on Magelo. By and large, their formulae
are dead-on.

James

"James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> writes:
> Monks gain FR as they level 50+, and Iksars have an inherent FR bonus (5
> points) and CR penalty (10 points). Some other classes gain other resists -
> the most dramatic is warriors with MR. A level 1 monk gets 8 FR bonus, and
> for every level from 50 on gain 1 FR.

Yup, that accounts for it exactly. I'm still a bit surprised that
none of this (except the level 1 stats) seems to be mentioned on
Monkly Business or any of the other sites I've checked. Thanks!

-- Don.

p.s.: Oh boy, so I can gain an awesome +20 SvF as I level from 50
to 70. Compared to the sorts of resists that seem to be required
for the content at those levels, it's hard to see the point.

> p.s.: Oh boy, so I can gain an awesome +20 SvF as I level from 50
> to 70. Compared to the sorts of resists that seem to be required
> for the content at those levels, it's hard to see the point.

The formula likely would have been implemented during Kunark, when
levels 51-60 were added. At that time, 10 FR would have been a fairly big
deal, especially when pulling.

James