Linksys WRT54G and Atheros AR5004G

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
December 31, 2004 3:43:02 PM

I have a new Linksys WRT54G wireless router and a Toshiba laptop with
an Atheros AR5004G integrated wireless card. I'm running WinXP-SP2 and
I cannot see the wireless network at all. I've searched on Linksys'
site for help, but their Knowledge Base suggestion for non-Linksys
cards assumes that the wireless device can see the network with the
defaults in place, but mine cannot. I've also tried setting up the
network between XP and the router with a new SSID, with MAC filtering,
WEP, the whole nine, but the laptop NEVER sees the network. Any ideas?
TIA
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 31, 2004 3:43:03 PM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:43:02 -0500, Dave@home.com wrote:

>I have a new Linksys WRT54G wireless router and a Toshiba laptop with
>an Atheros AR5004G integrated wireless card. I'm running WinXP-SP2 and
>I cannot see the wireless network at all. I've searched on Linksys'
>site for help, but their Knowledge Base suggestion for non-Linksys
>cards assumes that the wireless device can see the network with the
>defaults in place, but mine cannot. I've also tried setting up the
>network between XP and the router with a new SSID, with MAC filtering,
>WEP, the whole nine, but the laptop NEVER sees the network. Any ideas?

Some Toshiba laptops (you didn't supply the model number) have a tiny
little slide switch to turn on and off the wireless. It's usually on
the edge of the laptop, toward the user, toward the left side.

If you right click on the wireless device icon, in the:
Control Panel -> Network
window, and select "repair this connection", you will eventually get a
clue as to what might be broken. Things like "device disabled" should
be obvious. To insure maximum confusion, you can also disable the
device in software. Right click on the icon in the system tray (lower
right of screen), and if it offers "Enable" as a choice, you might
wanna select "Enable" to turn it on.

Incidentally, some of my customers have various Toshiba laptops and
all of them have phoned me at some time to complain about the lack of
wireless connectivity. It's usually the slide switch.

However, since the WRT54G is new, it's possible that it's
misconfigured or non-functional. You should be able to connect or
"see" the router in the default (as shipped) condition. If you've
been tinkering with the wireless settings, I suggest a grand reset and
start over. If you're still not sure, drag your laptop to a wireless
hotspot or other location that has a known working wireless access
point. Test the laptop there. If it works, then you know something
might be messed up with the access point. Similarly, inviting a
friend over with a known working laptop will help you test the WRT54G.
In other words, substitute for both the laptop and the access point to
determine the culprit.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
December 31, 2004 11:35:02 PM

The switch was the deal, thanks a million. I've had the laptop for
about 3 months (Satellite A65), but just picked up my router last
week. I had forgotten completely about the wireless switch on the
side. It came right up and saw the network just fine. I appreciate
your help.

!