Linksys WRT54G and Atheros AR5004G

I have a new Linksys WRT54G wireless router and a Toshiba laptop with
an Atheros AR5004G integrated wireless card. I'm running WinXP-SP2 and
I cannot see the wireless network at all. I've searched on Linksys'
site for help, but their Knowledge Base suggestion for non-Linksys
cards assumes that the wireless device can see the network with the
defaults in place, but mine cannot. I've also tried setting up the
network between XP and the router with a new SSID, with MAC filtering,
WEP, the whole nine, but the laptop NEVER sees the network. Any ideas?
TIA
2 answers Last reply
More about linksys wrt54g atheros ar5004g

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:43:02 -0500, Dave@home.com wrote:

    >I have a new Linksys WRT54G wireless router and a Toshiba laptop with
    >an Atheros AR5004G integrated wireless card. I'm running WinXP-SP2 and
    >I cannot see the wireless network at all. I've searched on Linksys'
    >site for help, but their Knowledge Base suggestion for non-Linksys
    >cards assumes that the wireless device can see the network with the
    >defaults in place, but mine cannot. I've also tried setting up the
    >network between XP and the router with a new SSID, with MAC filtering,
    >WEP, the whole nine, but the laptop NEVER sees the network. Any ideas?

    Some Toshiba laptops (you didn't supply the model number) have a tiny
    little slide switch to turn on and off the wireless. It's usually on
    the edge of the laptop, toward the user, toward the left side.

    If you right click on the wireless device icon, in the:
    Control Panel -> Network
    window, and select "repair this connection", you will eventually get a
    clue as to what might be broken. Things like "device disabled" should
    be obvious. To insure maximum confusion, you can also disable the
    device in software. Right click on the icon in the system tray (lower
    right of screen), and if it offers "Enable" as a choice, you might
    wanna select "Enable" to turn it on.

    Incidentally, some of my customers have various Toshiba laptops and
    all of them have phoned me at some time to complain about the lack of
    wireless connectivity. It's usually the slide switch.

    However, since the WRT54G is new, it's possible that it's
    misconfigured or non-functional. You should be able to connect or
    "see" the router in the default (as shipped) condition. If you've
    been tinkering with the wireless settings, I suggest a grand reset and
    start over. If you're still not sure, drag your laptop to a wireless
    hotspot or other location that has a known working wireless access
    point. Test the laptop there. If it works, then you know something
    might be messed up with the access point. Similarly, inviting a
    friend over with a known working laptop will help you test the WRT54G.
    In other words, substitute for both the laptop and the access point to
    determine the culprit.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    The switch was the deal, thanks a million. I've had the laptop for
    about 3 months (Satellite A65), but just picked up my router last
    week. I had forgotten completely about the wireless switch on the
    side. It came right up and saw the network just fine. I appreciate
    your help.

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:11:13 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:43:02 -0500, Dave@home.com wrote:
    >
    >>I have a new Linksys WRT54G wireless router and a Toshiba laptop with
    >>an Atheros AR5004G integrated wireless card. I'm running WinXP-SP2 and
    >>I cannot see the wireless network at all. I've searched on Linksys'
    >>site for help, but their Knowledge Base suggestion for non-Linksys
    >>cards assumes that the wireless device can see the network with the
    >>defaults in place, but mine cannot. I've also tried setting up the
    >>network between XP and the router with a new SSID, with MAC filtering,
    >>WEP, the whole nine, but the laptop NEVER sees the network. Any ideas?
    >
    >Some Toshiba laptops (you didn't supply the model number) have a tiny
    >little slide switch to turn on and off the wireless. It's usually on
    >the edge of the laptop, toward the user, toward the left side.
    >
    >If you right click on the wireless device icon, in the:
    > Control Panel -> Network
    >window, and select "repair this connection", you will eventually get a
    >clue as to what might be broken. Things like "device disabled" should
    >be obvious. To insure maximum confusion, you can also disable the
    >device in software. Right click on the icon in the system tray (lower
    >right of screen), and if it offers "Enable" as a choice, you might
    >wanna select "Enable" to turn it on.
    >
    >Incidentally, some of my customers have various Toshiba laptops and
    >all of them have phoned me at some time to complain about the lack of
    >wireless connectivity. It's usually the slide switch.
    >
    >However, since the WRT54G is new, it's possible that it's
    >misconfigured or non-functional. You should be able to connect or
    >"see" the router in the default (as shipped) condition. If you've
    >been tinkering with the wireless settings, I suggest a grand reset and
    >start over. If you're still not sure, drag your laptop to a wireless
    >hotspot or other location that has a known working wireless access
    >point. Test the laptop there. If it works, then you know something
    >might be messed up with the access point. Similarly, inviting a
    >friend over with a known working laptop will help you test the WRT54G.
    >In other words, substitute for both the laptop and the access point to
    >determine the culprit.

Wireless Linksys Wireless Networking