Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Skyrim compatibility conundrum

Last response: in Video Games
November 8, 2011 3:21:50 PM

I've come across a problem. Skyrim requires a video card with 512mb of ram, a vertex and pixel shader version of 3, and directX 9. My video card has 1.7Gb of ram, a vertex and pixel shader version of 4, and directX 11. However, I have Intel Hd graphics, which "doesn't work", apparently. Can someone explain to me exactly how this is supposed to make sense?
November 8, 2011 10:05:29 PM

By the way, the rest of my computer is powerful enough, so I'm set there
November 9, 2011 5:48:01 PM

Your onboard video should be disabled when a discrete card in installed. Motherboards usually do this automatically but check your bios.
Related resources
November 9, 2011 6:02:59 PM

Confused and ticked off said:
I've come across a problem. Skyrim requires a video card with 512mb of ram, a vertex and pixel shader version of 3, and directX 9. My video card has 1.7Gb of ram, a vertex and pixel shader version of 4, and directX 11. However, I have Intel Hd graphics, which "doesn't work", apparently. Can someone explain to me exactly how this is supposed to make sense?

That's because integrated graphics are crap for gaming. Its not like buying an Xbox that will play all the gaming that come out for it. Just because you have new brand name PC doesn't mean it can play PC games. You are going to need to buy a discrete GPU to play Skyrim. Just live by the rule that integrated graphics will NOT allow to play most of the cool PC games.
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 6:31:09 PM

it looks that your dedicated GPU is well above the minimum requirements for skyrim, so don't fret over the integrated gpu, you shouldn't be using it anyway
November 9, 2011 7:36:06 PM

Quote:
it looks that your dedicated GPU is well above the minimum requirements for skyrim, so don't fret over the integrated gpu, you shouldn't be using it anyway

the integrated gpu (the Intel one) is the one whose specs I am describing, which is what confuses me. Is the fact that it is integrated or the fact that it is intel is the reason it won't work? Or will it work?

Best solution

November 9, 2011 9:53:10 PM

The computer you have has integrated graphics, which uses the Southbride/CPU to generate graphical power using system resources.

The reason why you have so much Vram is because it calculated based off of your total system memory and that memory is not dedicated to graphics if it is needed by the system.

That is the problem with integrated graphics and games. The games require so much ram and then it takes away from total amount of video memory available for the system, not only that but the CPU has to process graphics and the game simultaneously.

While technically the integrated graphics will work, it will struggle under the load Skyrim will put on the CPU.

Its like having a 400hp car with 90 ft/tq. You have more then enough graphical power to run most things like 1080p movies but games... not so much.

Go out and spend $150 on a GPU and you will see a gigantic difference.
a b U Graphics card
November 9, 2011 10:36:24 PM

ah sorry I misread and got an impression you have 2 GPUs. no upgrading your ram will yield more vram available for the integrated gpu, but that doesn't help you run the game, the integrated gpu doesn't have enough processing power
November 10, 2011 12:13:55 AM

Alright, so I understand how it works, but if I run it on minimum (I don't care if it's pretty), Which is 2gb of RAM for processing and 512mb for video, That will leave at least 1 extra gb left of my 4gigs of RAM, right? Or is it going to steal that last bit as well?
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 11:41:11 AM

the gpu will use whatever is available if active applications eat up only 2gb the integrated chipset will use as much of the remaining ram as possible
a b U Graphics card
November 10, 2011 7:32:44 PM

no, because graphical memory is not the same as processing power. Memory wise you might have enough, but the chipset won't be able to process the data fast enough for you to play.
Here compare the parameters:
Intel HD (SB) vs. GTX560M

bottom of the line is, if you think that you still want to try running the game with integrated card, go ahead and try tomorrow :) 

a c 271 U Graphics card
January 22, 2012 3:43:17 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 22, 2012 3:43:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!