Boot after XP aborted setup/ Win Setup/ Win Recovery Conso..

Had a virus & trojan horse infection... seems to be cleared up now after much
gyration. At one point I started a reinstall of XP Pro, now boot up wants to
continue this 9aborted) install. How do I get system back to a "normal" boot
to XP pro?
5 answers Last reply
More about boot aborted setup setup recovery conso

    Hi Rick,

    You can edit the boot.ini file to get rid of the reference to the aborted
    setup.

    Currently, the file probably looks something like this:

    [Boot Loader]
    Timeout=5
    Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
    [Operating Systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

    to get rid of the "WIN XP Setup" boot menu option, delete the line:
    C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"
    Now you'll have to get rid of the C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT as default
    choice in boot menu and change it to:
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional" /fastdetect

    You can alter the time values (i.e., timeout= ) to be the length of time in
    seconds that you want the boot menu displayed.

    When you're done editing the file, go to File>Save and File>Exit

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Had a virus & trojan horse infection... seems to be cleared up now after
    much
    > gyration. At one point I started a reinstall of XP Pro, now boot up wants
    > continue this 9aborted) install. How do I get system back to a "normal"
    boot
    > to XP pro?

    Hi

    Could you please post the contents of the boot.ini file?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Had a virus & trojan horse infection... seems to be cleared up now after
    > much
    > gyration. At one point I started a reinstall of XP Pro, now boot up wants
    > continue this 9aborted) install. How do I get system back to a "normal"
    > boot
    > to XP pro?

    Just searched all hidden & system folders... no "boot.ini" found...where do I
    look?

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Could you please post the contents of the boot.ini file?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Had a virus & trojan horse infection... seems to be cleared up now after
    > > much
    > > gyration. At one point I started a reinstall of XP Pro, now boot up wants
    > > continue this 9aborted) install. How do I get system back to a "normal"
    > > boot
    > > to XP pro?

    In the root of the system partition (usually C:\)

    Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden files
    and folders" *and* also uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating system
    files".

    Patti's reply is correct.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Rick" wrote:
    | Just searched all hidden & system folders... no "boot.ini" found...where
    do I
    | look?
    |
    | "Will Denny" wrote:
    |
    | > Hi
    | >
    | > Could you please post the contents of the boot.ini file?
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Will Denny
    | > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    | > Please reply to the News Groups
    | >

    | > "Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > Had a virus & trojan horse infection... seems to be cleared up now
    after
    | > > much
    | > > gyration. At one point I started a reinstall of XP Pro, now boot up
    wants
    | > > continue this 9aborted) install. How do I get system back to a
    "normal"
    | > > boot
    | > > to XP pro?

    Hi

    The boot.ini file is in the system folder of you system. It is needed to
    boot your system, so it must be there. From a command prompt type

    cd\
    dir boot.ini /a/s

    --

    > Just searched all hidden & system folders... no "boot.ini" found...where
    > do I
    > look?
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Could you please post the contents of the boot.ini file?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Had a virus & trojan horse infection... seems to be cleared up now
    >> > after
    >> > much
    >> > gyration. At one point I started a reinstall of XP Pro, now boot up
    >> > wants
    >> > continue this 9aborted) install. How do I get system back to a
    >> > "normal"
    >> > boot
    >> > to XP pro?

Data Recovery Boot Windows XP