MW3 Resolution Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

heids24

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Hi all,

I've run into a strange situation with MW3. It seems I cannot adjust the resolution. I normally play at 2560x1600. When I loaded up the game for the first time, I went into options and set everything to max, and changed the res from the default to 2560x1600. Once I got in game, the resolution is clearly much lower than what I had set it to. So naturally I thought my settings modifications just didn't take. I backed out and did the process again, but again no change. Even tried for a third time and nothing.

For some reason, even though it shows the game is playing at 2560x1600 resolution in my video settings, my resolution is significantly less than that. It seems that no matter what I set the resolution to, it doesn't change at all. Anyone else run into this issue? And more importantly, anyone have any ideas what may be going on here???

eminded1

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
is is weird i am gettign the same thing.. no matter 1920 x1080 or 800x600,, all it changes is the quality of the picutre, not the aucal resolutioin. i think the game is supposed tobe like that/. for people who have an advantage with higher res vs lower res.

heids24

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Nice to see I'm not alone. You know, misery loves company. ;)

Hopefully there's a fix soon because the visual quality really sucks - to the point that I don't even want to play it.

To eminded1: This isn't how it's supposed to be. There is no advantages for higher resolutions. Just a crisper and cleaner look. It may look okay on a 22" monitor at this "locked" resolution, but on my 30" monitor it is very blurry and looks like graphics from 5 years ago. Looks like a pile of crap. There is a bug that isn't allowing resolution changes.

keatre

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
EXACTLY! my issue. On a 24", at 1080, the everything looks stretched and really poor image. Also, all text being said ingame is HUGE!...

Compared to MW2, the image looks a lot worse... What gives?

shaneyp00

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
@ HEXiT,
So do you mean to say that the digital DL copy hasnt got this issue?....

I have the same problem as 'keatre'. 1920x 1080, everything maxed, and well it just looks like crap.
Having said this tho, My single player campaign mode looks absoultely stunning and flawless, so much so that I finished the game in 5 hrs on normal difficulty.

All after a recent format and reinstall of windows 7.

SO WHAT THE HELL IS GOIN ON PPL!!!!!!!! ?

I run this setup:- Core i7 920 stcok (Yeh i know D: ), GeForce GTX 460 1 gig., 12 gig ram 1600Mhz, 24" LED monitor.

btw is this setup good enough?.....

Hit me back 'yo.

999Meta666

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
I've got the same problem on my Steam version. I'm running a 30" monitor (HP ZR30w) with two Asus GTX580's in SLI, and MW3 is just not looking the way I'd expect. To give you an idea, MW2 looks way crisper on my rig than MW3 does, and I'm pretty sure this is not supposed to be the case.

keatre

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
Exactly. MW2 looks better and more crisp. I'm playing on a physical copy - 24" LED. It just looks 'fuzzy' and not right. I'm having a hard time trying to explain to my clanmates the issue...

heids24

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
as far as i know its an issue with the crack only and the retail dvd...

Mine was purchased as a Steam digital download.

I was looking for a config file somewhere to see if the setting changes were correct but I can't find anything in the file structure. I'm clueless. I've asked others in mp matches if they have the same issue and I haven't found anyone who says they know what I'm talking about. They all say the game looks crisp. I've tried searching elsewhere on the internet, but I can't find anything. Pretty frustrating to say the least.

heids24

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009

Wait, your single player looked great? I just tried and it's the same thing for me. Very poor graphics quality and low resolution, just like MP.

btw, your system is plenty good enough for MW3. The issue is not your system.

heids24

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
SOLUTION...

Alright guys, I think I found the fix. It's a bit strange and not very intuitive, but it resolved the poor graphics quality issue.

Under video settings go to advanced. There you will find a category called Image Quality. There are 5 settings: low, normal, high, extra, and native. Select NATIVE. I had it set to "extra" thinking this was the highest and never even noticed the native setting before. The graphics are much more crisp with the NATIVE setting.

Give it a shot and let me know how it works.

b0ltzz

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
This is starting to get pretty frustrating... once again PC got probably zero testing prior to shipping the final product. My game resolutions are doing the exact same things. I set it to 1920x1080 in MP, and the game is clearly running in 1280x720. It is pixelated and obviously stretched, and just looks like complete garbage. The Single Player client, when set to 1920x1080, seems to stay in this resolution, although even with every setting maxed, looks pretty awful in some areas. However, you can tell it is actually running the proper resolution. I still have yet to find the config file for this, and since the Steam forums are down there is almost nowhere else to look up information on this, except this site -

http://www.mapmodnews.com/staticpages/index.php/MW3-Errors-Freezes-Crashes

I am not sure of the validity of this site, and the guys "fix" for the widescreen resolution issue is a download that has already reached its limit, so I guess we have to wait and see if Activision says anything about it :??:

I really don't see how something like this can go unnoticed and shipped... because there's no way I'll be playing this game in a resolution that looks so bad and isn't even the proper native reso for my monitor.... :heink:

b0ltzz

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011

Worked for me, thanks for this. :bounce:

Still a shame the client is such a console port... having to enable the Dedicated Server browser in Options..... :lol:

heids24

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009

Good to hear it worked for you.

Yeah, totally a crappy minimal effort console port. I checked the dedicated servers, and there are only 291 people on them on the night of launch. Assuming most people haven't figured out they're there.

dudedud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I couldnt fix it with the way listed above but i found another way.
if anyone is still have problems you can manually fix it in the config.cfg file (search it in your game folder)

look for

seta r_imageQuality "1"
seta r_inGameVideo "1"

set the "1" value to "0"

keatre

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011

Wow! This worked perfectly! Fixed it for me! Thank you, sir! I owe you a beer...

18sika99

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

i have no image quality option in my game......

but your solution works perfectly!!!!!

thanks....

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Just reading of what everyone has to say about MW3 just makes me wonder if i should really get the game, Although i enjoy the good graphics we blessed with today its clear that the visual appeal isn't grabbing anyone.

I bought BF3 limited edition and was blown away,Is the multi player any good?

heids24

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009

If you view MW3 as a $60 map expansion pack, you might be happy with it. If you go into the purchase expecting exciting NEW gameplay, you may be disappointed. If you played MW2, you've played MW3. While I've had my moments of fun so far, it is all starting to feel very stale. Or stated another way, if you're sick of MW2 or BLOPS, don't get MW3. All you'll find is some different scenery with some minor additions to the gameplay. If you still find yourself playing MW2 or BLOPS and have fun with it, there is still some enjoyment to be had with MW3.

shaneyp00

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011

YES! My single player looks flawless, yet the MP is garbage. I KNOW RIGHT !? :eek:

I have nfi whats goin on.... Ok so Ive ried the whole option of setting the video settings to "Native".
Im pissed off to hear that it has worked for some ppl, cos I cant say the same. I tried the option on all levels. To no avail.

Having just read some of these replys... Im still yet to try and find my config file and see what "Dudedud" 's fix does.

So I will let you's know.

shaneyp00

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
OK... So as I havent been on the computer for 2 days now, Steam did some update... which appears to have fixed the problem.

So I start MP, and as the program goes to launch, it says "MW3 has changed since you last played. Would you like it configure itself optimally now for you?" I clicked yes.

Straight into a TDM match, instantly I can see things are better.

I then leave and check out the settings.... Sure enough they're changed to the correct resolution.
I then max out everything, even putting the image quality option to EXTRA.

Join another game, its better... but Im still not satisfied. I leave again and turn image
quality to NATIVE.... Ding!

Profit.

Native option confirmed. SET IT TO NATIVE. :D

I leave you now to PWN cos it looks great.

batmanroxus

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I disagree that this game is MW2 with a map pack. I WISH that is what it is. I am not impressed with the limitations in MW3 specially in regards to speed. There is no Marathon or Lightweight, and the game is S-L-O-W. I am sooo damn tired of walking around in this game. It is very frustrating to me. They should have sped the game up, but they slowed it down. They tried to make it more balanced and made it more unbalanced. I suspect we will be back to playing MW2 soon. MW2 just feels better to me. MW3 feels more like BLOPS with no lag to me. I do like the weapons though, and the mission and ops, but that's all. Multi SUX. I'm getting finger cramps from trying to make my avatar GOOOO!:)

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

All i can say about MW3 is " Epic Fail ", i am in no way trolling the game or a BF fanboy, COD is always number one on my list of FPS titles but all i said was " OMG " what happened why is this such an MW2 rehash " during the single player ", i have every Call of Duty game besides the Call of Duty 3 which is on console.

The graphics is still practically the same not much of a difference really to MW 2 maybe slightly better, what i enjoyed was the scope swop over thats new.

The mere fact that they kept the graphics the same is one up in a way as my frames were sitting around 58 - 60 most of the time.

The single player reminded me of MW 2 all the way felt like i was giving MW 2 a replay.

The shortest campaign thus far and felt like i wanted something more and was left with end game credits and said " is this it "

After such a long wait and the media proclaiming it the best shooter and that BF3 stood no chance " uhm "

I suppose if they kept the multiplayer like MW 1 and just added a new style of play to keep it going i would of said Hmmm probably is better than BF3 Multiplayer wise.

BF3 owns MW3 in every way,Im sorry but that's my honest opinion,MW3 is a big disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS