prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
I'm going to build a pc, based on AMD s939, and i wonder if i should go with 64bit windows. i was originally going with xp pro, but 64bit version is $20 more than pro. will 64bit windows run games with no problem? anyone sufferng problems from 64but?
is 64bit good buy?

---------------------------------------------
?

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Just check that there are drivers for every part you have and you'll be OK.
32bit applications will run in windows 64.

<font color=red>Left to themselves, all things go from bad to worse</font color=red>

Some manufacturers still haven't got round to releasing their 64 bit drivers (....stupid Belkin, I want to WLAN card to work!). All hardware will work with XP64, as long as it has a 64bit driver.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Not only are there long lists of hardware that doesn't have 64-bit drivers, but there are a number of programs, especially games that either have problems or won't run under XP x64. Go to the Microsoft site and look aroung. They've posted lists of software. On the hardware side, Jake is quite right- as long as the manufacturer has released a 64-bit driver, you're okay.

Asking around, I've found that a number of printer manufacturers have decided NOT to write 64-bit drivers for any printer that isn't 'New right NOW' and a couple have said that they won't write ANY 64-bit drivers until XP x64 gets popular (a more assinine attitude I have yet to encounter).

So, don't ASSUME that drivers will show up in few weeks, write to the manufacturers and ASK, if you don't see the drivers already.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Sorry. Jake_Barnes in another thread here with the same question. Don't worry, Ned, I didn't forget you're around.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Peace be with you my son ...

<b>"The Edge - there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson, </b><b><i>Hell's Angels, 1965</i></b>

Bruxbox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
As a general proposition, if you currently have an AMD Athlon 64 based system, it's a good chance that your motherboard manufacturer has 64bit drivers for all the chipsets and controllers on your motherboard.

For instance Asus, Abit, and all the other major MB makers are quite good at making 64bit drivers available for download. There are a few exceptions like you have to go to RealTek to download 64bit drivers for MB that use RealTek audio chipsets. Creatve Labs has an abundance of 64bit drivers for most of the Sound Blaster audio cards.

AMD has super list of 64bit drivers found here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,30_2252_869_875^10454,00.html?redir=IEGFC07

Extended64.com and PlanetAMD64.com are helpful sites with links in the forums to some 64bit drivers.

The AMD webpage has links to 64bit drivers for Linux as well. In addition, the webpage says that HP and Lexmark have several 64bit drivers for some of their printer models. It says some 64bit drivers for some Xerox, Ricoh, Canon, and Epson printers are builtin the Windows x64 OS.

Broadcom has 64bit drivers for wireless products that use it's "54G family" chipsets.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BruxBox on 06/26/05 00:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>