Could I Have a bad SATA Controller?

Hello,
Hopefuly someone out there can help me out. I have an Intel 875PBZ
motherboard with 2x SATA Seagate 120GB HDDs (ST3120026AS) and for a
while i had them running in a RAID 0 setup. One day, all of a sudden,
the drive(s) began to make a "chirping" noise. This noise was always
accompanied with momentary freezes in XP for the slightest of
operations such as opening IE or Explorer to playing games. Shortly
there after i would get corrupted file messages and need to run CHKDSK
upon next reboot. After taking apart the RAID and setting both drives
as independent drives and after 3 hard drive RMAs, the end result is
always the same, hard drive(s) begin to chirp and im in a constant
loop of having to run chkdsk. The only logical conclusion to me is
that the SATA controller is somehow not functioning.

Has anyone outthere experienced this same type of behavior from
drives? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Leo.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You should try some utility that verifyes the hard-drive for errors in real
time. Seagate has such an utility fro download or on the installation CD.
Since it's very unlikely that you got 3 defective hard-drives (albeit
possible if all are from the same factory batch), I'd check the hard-drives'
temperature and voltage.
Michael

"Leo Juarbe" <leojuarbe@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Hopefuly someone out there can help me out. I have an Intel 875PBZ
> motherboard with 2x SATA Seagate 120GB HDDs (ST3120026AS) and for a
> while i had them running in a RAID 0 setup. One day, all of a sudden,
> the drive(s) began to make a "chirping" noise. This noise was always
> accompanied with momentary freezes in XP for the slightest of
> operations such as opening IE or Explorer to playing games. Shortly
> there after i would get corrupted file messages and need to run CHKDSK
> upon next reboot. After taking apart the RAID and setting both drives
> as independent drives and after 3 hard drive RMAs, the end result is
> always the same, hard drive(s) begin to chirp and im in a constant
> loop of having to run chkdsk. The only logical conclusion to me is
> that the SATA controller is somehow not functioning.
>
> Has anyone outthere experienced this same type of behavior from
> drives? Any input is greatly appreciated.
>
> Leo.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

That is a sure sign that one of your hard drives are dying! If you need any
of the data that is on that computer right now...Back it up
ASAFP!!!!!because you will loose it all! because you have a RAID0. If the
drive is still under warranty, get an RMA and get the drive replaced...

"Leo Juarbe" <leojuarbe@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Hopefuly someone out there can help me out. I have an Intel 875PBZ
> motherboard with 2x SATA Seagate 120GB HDDs (ST3120026AS) and for a
> while i had them running in a RAID 0 setup. One day, all of a sudden,
> the drive(s) began to make a "chirping" noise. This noise was always
> accompanied with momentary freezes in XP for the slightest of
> operations such as opening IE or Explorer to playing games. Shortly
> there after i would get corrupted file messages and need to run CHKDSK
> upon next reboot. After taking apart the RAID and setting both drives
> as independent drives and after 3 hard drive RMAs, the end result is
> always the same, hard drive(s) begin to chirp and im in a constant
> loop of having to run chkdsk. The only logical conclusion to me is
> that the SATA controller is somehow not functioning.
>
> Has anyone outthere experienced this same type of behavior from
> drives? Any input is greatly appreciated.
>
> Leo.

"Leo Juarbe" <leojuarbe@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Hopefuly someone out there can help me out. I have an Intel 875PBZ
> motherboard with 2x SATA Seagate 120GB HDDs (ST3120026AS) and for a
> while i had them running in a RAID 0 setup. One day, all of a sudden,
> the drive(s) began to make a "chirping" noise. This noise was always
> accompanied with momentary freezes in XP for the slightest of
> operations such as opening IE or Explorer to playing games. Shortly
> there after i would get corrupted file messages and need to run CHKDSK
> upon next reboot. After taking apart the RAID and setting both drives
> as independent drives and after 3 hard drive RMAs, the end result is
> always the same, hard drive(s) begin to chirp and im in a constant
> loop of having to run chkdsk. The only logical conclusion to me is
> that the SATA controller is somehow not functioning.
>
> Has anyone outthere experienced this same type of behavior from
> drives? Any input is greatly appreciated.
>
> Leo.

Get SpeedFan from the Internet and install it - there is a S.M.A.R.T monitor
integrated that tells you what's wrong with the hd's. BTW, Seagate is prone
to quality problems - I wouldn't wonder..