PC Chips board / onboard graphics

G

Stupidly bought barebones sys on auction and they cut corners (duh!). Having graphics and out of memory trouble.

System info:

PC Chips/PC133 GFXCEL SystemBoard, model M758mr (Socket 370)
FCPGA Pentium III CPU - 96.0MB RAM
SiS 630 Chipset Rev 20 with onboard 128-bit 2D/3D 100MHz Host interface AGP
......Driver version 1.03.51
SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller (using basic ms driver)
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (using basic ms driver)
DirectX 7.0 (diags OK)

I am computer literate but a novice (everything seems second nature but I need a tutor!) The troubleshooting of one of the games I installed referred to needing a Microsoft certified driver for my SiS 630 and the only one I have isn't. I have tried to update but PC Chips-no response, SiS-see manufacturer, vendor-needs invoice number.

The program freezes at startup. If I eject the cd and reinsert, I get two taskbars. When I choose the right one, the program starts but the graphics blink, wink and shake. As soon as the program tries to go to the next page, it freezes again and I have to reboot.

I have another program that, if run for a couple of hours, I get out of memory error. I know I need more ram but my swapfile is huge!

Besides buying new components, is there anything else I can do?

Hope someone can help! Thanks!

Debby

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
fairly novice on this stuff myself, but id suggest hammering your mobo maker for that graphics driver. also you need more ram, a P3 with 96mb?

what program freezes on startup?

take out any non-essential cards, sound, modem etc and try and get your hands on a graphics card, any will do, and see if the problem stops - disabling onboard graphics can be a pain on some boards though. Also use a program like in Norton Utilities - though since you have to pay for that, try SiSoft SANDRA. They have quite a lot of diagnostics stuff.

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"

G

The game I am having trouble with is EA Sim Coaster. I have contacted them, but everything they say to try I have already done.

I found an graphics driver update that is ms certified, upgraded my directx to 8.0, uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. Still having program freezes. There is a tech diag tool in the help file for the game that says the game does not recognize the directx, so I think my question may be for another board. Still... if anyone can help???

<font color=purple>Old enough to know better, but too young to care!</font color=purple> :wink:

My wife has Sims theme park and Sims living large. It usually takes her three tries just to start the game.I have tried installing it on 4 different computers.with basically the same results. I personally believe it to be a software problen with the games. AS all the computers I tried it on were very different. So a new motherboard may not solve your problem.

I aint signing nothing!!!