search bar

November 29, 2004 6:21:03 PM

Hi. I'm running Xp Home
Every time I boot up in the taskbar there is a search the web icony thing.
If i right click it it lists search engines. If i right click the taskbar i
get the option to remove it...this is ok until i boot up again and its back
again. Does anyone know how to get rid of it. Thanks.
I've uninstalled every dodgy thing in add/remove progs... select from run
msconfig only the esent progs but still its there.

Oh and one last question. does anyone know how to remove the logos etc from
internet explorer and added search bars that pop up with it ( internet
explorer by aol etc)
thank you.

More about : search bar

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 9:32:49 PM

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{Your unique ID #}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0
WindowTitle

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
Window Title

Both of mine are: Wes Vogel

How to Change the Internet Explorer Window Title
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;17649

===

BlazeFind????

blazefind.com
IE SearchBar
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/iesearchba...

BlazeFind
http://www.spywareguide.com/product_show.php?id=724

blazefind. removal instructions
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/ISTbar.html

Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2.

First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
perform a particular task.]]

Enable Install On Demand (Other)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
particular task.]]

Apply | OK

Enable Install On Demand (Other)
Is part of the driveby downloading of unwanted programs. i.e. Scumware or
whatever will install w/o you even being aware of it.
=====

Second. If you need a scan right now.

Follow the instructions!
THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

=====

Third.
It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates. Without updates,
you have a gun without ammo. You also need to use more than one
anti scumware program. One program will *not* catch everything.

1) CWShredder ver. 1.59 direct download:

1a) CWShredder ver. 2.0 direct download:
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

2) SpywareBlaster
[[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
ever being installed.
The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]

3) Spybot S & D (More for the advanced user)
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=...

4) HijackThis (some other stuff that may be of interest also)

4a) HijackThis (direct download)
http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=...

6) ToolbarCop
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

7) Ad-aware SE Personal

=====

HijackThis log tutorial
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

HijackThis Log Tutorial
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtu...

How To Install Spybot Search and Destroy & a brief tutorial
http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/index1.php

HOW TO: Reconfigure Ad-aware for a Full Scan
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877
=====

MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
=====

Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems....

Additional information & instructions.
A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315

Spyware and Deceptive Software
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.msp...

What you should know about spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

Cleaning Up XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cleanup

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:5A9FDB18-B988-4289-B37E-674B090C9907@microsoft.com,
Phill <Phill@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi. I'm running Xp Home
> Every time I boot up in the taskbar there is a search the web icony
> thing. If i right click it it lists search engines. If i right click
> the taskbar i get the option to remove it...this is ok until i boot
> up again and its back again. Does anyone know how to get rid of it.
> Thanks.
> I've uninstalled every dodgy thing in add/remove progs... select from
> run msconfig only the esent progs but still its there.
>
> Oh and one last question. does anyone know how to remove the logos
> etc from internet explorer and added search bars that pop up with it
> ( internet explorer by aol etc)
> thank you.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 12:57:06 PM

Quick Launch settings are not saved; Search Assistant Toolbar in Taskbar:
http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

Remove the ISP branding for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/ispunbrand.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Phill" <Phill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A9FDB18-B988-4289-B37E-674B090C9907@microsoft.com...
Hi. I'm running Xp Home
Every time I boot up in the taskbar there is a search the web icony thing.
If i right click it it lists search engines. If i right click the taskbar i
get the option to remove it...this is ok until i boot up again and its back
again. Does anyone know how to get rid of it. Thanks.
I've uninstalled every dodgy thing in add/remove progs... select from run
msconfig only the esent progs but still its there.

Oh and one last question. does anyone know how to remove the logos etc from
internet explorer and added search bars that pop up with it ( internet
explorer by aol etc)
thank you.
November 30, 2004 12:57:07 PM

100% spot on....its the exact thing.
Went to your link. printed the bits going to try it later. its got 2 work.
Many many thanks

"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> Quick Launch settings are not saved; Search Assistant Toolbar in Taskbar:
> http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm
>
> Remove the ISP branding for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/ispunbrand.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Phill" <Phill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A9FDB18-B988-4289-B37E-674B090C9907@microsoft.com...
> Hi. I'm running Xp Home
> Every time I boot up in the taskbar there is a search the web icony thing.
> If i right click it it lists search engines. If i right click the taskbar i
> get the option to remove it...this is ok until i boot up again and its back
> again. Does anyone know how to get rid of it. Thanks.
> I've uninstalled every dodgy thing in add/remove progs... select from run
> msconfig only the esent progs but still its there.
>
> Oh and one last question. does anyone know how to remove the logos etc from
> internet explorer and added search bars that pop up with it ( internet
> explorer by aol etc)
> thank you.

Anonymous
November 30, 2004 9:01:22 PM

YW, and Good luck with it. Take extreme care while fixing the Userinit value, and fix it before rebooting (after spyware removal) .

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

!