How do I know I got KT266A?

lordmeatball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
I have a MSIK7T266 Pro2. It is suppose to be a 266<b>A</b> chipset. I just ran WCPUID and it reports the host bridge as VIA APOLLO KT266. Is this a program error?

:mad: Man...this cookie tastes like crap!! :mad:
:lol: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i don't believe theres a way to tell other than ripping the hs(fan) off of it and looking at the numbers. i have a new gigabyte board with the kt266a chipset. everything i've ran has only showed kt266.

lordmeatball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. What program did you use to identify?

:mad: Man...this cookie tastes like crap!! :mad:
:lol: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
mbm, sisoft, bios flash utility. i called gigabyte just to confirm this when i first got the board (hey i really don't trust the place i bought it from). and that's what the guy said.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
they probably havent updated the programs that you are using to id the chip. they have to include that chip in their database before the program will identify the chip as a revision of it...
like sandra reports the athlon xp as an athlon mp i think...
not sure because i havent had that chip, or seen one tested in sandra...
i know that the bios for the k7s5a didnt report athlon xp's as xp until they revised the bios..
so i would say, that if you check the manufacturer's website, and see that they use the kt266a chipset, then you should be safe in assuming that the board has that chipset. and if you wait a little while, they will probably release an update for sandra, cpuid, and the likes that will make them report it as a kt266a...
remember that this chip is basically the same, they just revised it so that it is a little more optimised, and a bit more stable.
at least it isnt reporting it as a via appolo mvp3....then i would be worried! ;)

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
no i understand those things and know which board is using the kt266a, etc. i just honestly wouldn't put it past the company i got it from to slap, what gigabyte uses to identify it, the "P" sticker down on the side next to the pci slots. very shaddy company (not gigabyte) but they were the only ones carrying the board and took my chances. but for anyone else out there, do not buy from unitedmicro.com, bad place, very very bad place.