Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intermiitent Connection Problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
December 31, 2004 4:47:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Running Win XP on Compaq Presario 2195

with Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Broadband Router

and Linksys Wireless Adapter WPC11

Connection is fine up to 10ft away. However, when I venture into a room 30ft
away, my connection drops down from excellent to very low.

My walls are wallboard, with no obstructions in the hallway between my
router and laptop.

I have tried changing my channels (1, 6, 11) and lowered my threshold, per
Linksys Tech support and still nothing changes. Any suggestions as to what I
am doing wrong?

Thanks,

RED
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 31, 2004 4:47:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

RED wrote:
> Running Win XP on Compaq Presario 2195
>
> with Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Broadband Router
>
> and Linksys Wireless Adapter WPC11
>
> Connection is fine up to 10ft away. However, when I venture into a
> room 30ft away, my connection drops down from excellent to very low.
>
> My walls are wallboard, with no obstructions in the hallway between my
> router and laptop.
>
> I have tried changing my channels (1, 6, 11) and lowered my
> threshold, per Linksys Tech support and still nothing changes. Any
> suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> RED

Orient the antennas at a right angle to the direction of the receiving
laptop, i.e., point the front face of the router to the laptop. Move
the router away from any other electrical device (the modem for
example). Broadcast SSID, use open key. Try different antenna
settings, but default should work the best.

Q
December 31, 2004 5:23:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Still scenario after suggestions made; no change.


"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
news:1tudneUhXf5-OUjcRVn-tw@comcast.com...
> RED wrote:
>> Running Win XP on Compaq Presario 2195
>>
>> with Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Broadband Router
>>
>> and Linksys Wireless Adapter WPC11
>>
>> Connection is fine up to 10ft away. However, when I venture into a
>> room 30ft away, my connection drops down from excellent to very low.
>>
>> My walls are wallboard, with no obstructions in the hallway between my
>> router and laptop.
>>
>> I have tried changing my channels (1, 6, 11) and lowered my
>> threshold, per Linksys Tech support and still nothing changes. Any
>> suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> RED
>
> Orient the antennas at a right angle to the direction of the receiving
> laptop, i.e., point the front face of the router to the laptop. Move the
> router away from any other electrical device (the modem for example).
> Broadcast SSID, use open key. Try different antenna settings, but default
> should work the best.
>
> Q
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 31, 2004 5:27:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:47:15 -0500, "RED" <anglirich@lexcominc.net>
wrote:

>Running Win XP on Compaq Presario 2195

XP with SP2 or not?

>with Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Broadband Router

BEFW11S4 version 1, 2, 3.2 or 4?

>and Linksys Wireless Adapter WPC11

WPC11 version 2.4, 3.0 or 4?

>Connection is fine up to 10ft away. However, when I venture into a room 30ft
>away, my connection drops down from excellent to very low.

OK, an RF issue. The problem is that I can't tell from here whether
it's the BEFW11S4 or the WPC11. The only way to be sure is to test
each one individually. Invite someone over with a known working
laptop with wireless and have them test your BEFW11S4. Similarly,
take your laptop to the nearest free hot spot or place with a known
working wireless, and do some range testing. That should assign the
blame to one or the other.

>My walls are wallboard, with no obstructions in the hallway between my
>router and laptop.

Perhaps some aluminium foil backed fiberglass insulation in the walls?

How is the signal strength inside the room? Can you walk around the
room and keep the connection at excellent? If so, then it's possible
that the problem is in the walls. Move the access point temporarily
to some location where you have unobstructed line of sight. Take a
hike with your laptop. See how far you get. 100ft before it starts
to screw up is minimum acceptable. 300ft before you lose connection
is typical.

>I have tried changing my channels (1, 6, 11) and lowered my threshold, per
>Linksys Tech support and still nothing changes.

Leave the CTS/RTS flow control threshold along. With a fairly high
number, CTS/RTS flow control is turned off. That's what you want with
a small indoor system. If you were running the router outdoors, and
were in a location where you have a "hidden transmitter" type problem
(where multiple client radios cannot hear each other), then you might
consider enabling flow control. Otherwise, leave it off, which is the
default. Same with fragmentation limit, which is great for getting
though interference, but that's not the problem here.

Normally, I would say that it's not a software/driver issue. However,
I just had a miserable time with a Dlink DWL-G520vB1 PCI card on a W2K
SP4 system. It would work, but the range was about 5 ft from my known
working access point. I knew the card wasn't broken because I had
just removed it from a working machine as part of a system upgrade.
Eventually, I discovered that the latest driver 3.17 from the web pile
just didn't work. I removed it and installed the driver that came on
the cdrom in the box (1.0 ??) , and everything worked as expected.
I'm not sure what to suggest other than try different WPC11 drivers.

>Any suggestions as to what I
>am doing wrong?

Karma failure? Repent your evil ways? Burnt offerings required?

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
December 31, 2004 6:07:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Do you have other sources of 2.4Ghz interferrence nearby? Possibly
2.4Ghz cordless phones or microwave ovens? These types of issues are
made worse when you live in higher-density housing, like apartment
buildings and townhouse communities.

good luck,
Jonathan

RED wrote:
> Still scenario after suggestions made; no change.
>
>
> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
> news:1tudneUhXf5-OUjcRVn-tw@comcast.com...
>
>>RED wrote:
>>
>>>Running Win XP on Compaq Presario 2195
>>>
>>>with Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Broadband Router
>>>
>>>and Linksys Wireless Adapter WPC11
>>>
>>>Connection is fine up to 10ft away. However, when I venture into a
>>>room 30ft away, my connection drops down from excellent to very low.
>>>
>>>My walls are wallboard, with no obstructions in the hallway between my
>>>router and laptop.
>>>
>>>I have tried changing my channels (1, 6, 11) and lowered my
>>>threshold, per Linksys Tech support and still nothing changes. Any
>>>suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>RED
>>
>>Orient the antennas at a right angle to the direction of the receiving
>>laptop, i.e., point the front face of the router to the laptop. Move the
>>router away from any other electrical device (the modem for example).
>>Broadcast SSID, use open key. Try different antenna settings, but default
>>should work the best.
>>
>>Q
>>
>
>
>
December 31, 2004 6:17:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

No, they are not near either router or modem.

"Jonathan" <jonathan@somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:I_mdnWVQD8heLEjcRVn-pw@speakeasy.net...
> Do you have other sources of 2.4Ghz interferrence nearby? Possibly 2.4Ghz
> cordless phones or microwave ovens? These types of issues are made worse
> when you live in higher-density housing, like apartment buildings and
> townhouse communities.
>
> good luck,
> Jonathan
>
> RED wrote:
>> Still scenario after suggestions made; no change.
>>
>>
>> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
>> news:1tudneUhXf5-OUjcRVn-tw@comcast.com...
>>
>>>RED wrote:
>>>
>>>>Running Win XP on Compaq Presario 2195
>>>>
>>>>with Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Broadband Router
>>>>
>>>>and Linksys Wireless Adapter WPC11
>>>>
>>>>Connection is fine up to 10ft away. However, when I venture into a
>>>>room 30ft away, my connection drops down from excellent to very low.
>>>>
>>>>My walls are wallboard, with no obstructions in the hallway between my
>>>>router and laptop.
>>>>
>>>>I have tried changing my channels (1, 6, 11) and lowered my
>>>>threshold, per Linksys Tech support and still nothing changes. Any
>>>>suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?
>>>>
>>>>Thanks,
>>>>
>>>>RED
>>>
>>>Orient the antennas at a right angle to the direction of the receiving
>>>laptop, i.e., point the front face of the router to the laptop. Move the
>>>router away from any other electrical device (the modem for example).
>>>Broadcast SSID, use open key. Try different antenna settings, but
>>>default should work the best.
>>>
>>>Q
>>>
>>
>>
!