Athlon XP mobo advice?

Berman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Okay, I'm fairly certain my next upgrade will be to an Athlon XP, probably the 1600+ model. I don't have much time to do extensive research at the moment, so basically, what do you all think the best motherboard would be?

buckman666

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2001
i you like to try new, untested things, choose a nforce mobo. the msi on looks great, model MSI K7N420 Pro.
i'll go for it as soon as i've finished with the little duallie

Berman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I was wondering about the nForce. NVidia are a good company, but this is their first attempt at a motherboard, so I don't know... What's the price of one of these as against, say, a KT266A mb?

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I've had great experience with Abit boards. They have a new one coming out, I think the KR7? It's on the kt266a chipset, might be fun :)

G

I am VERY happy with my Asus a7m266, although I readily admit that there are cheaper and faster mobos out there. Note that the onboard sound on this one is not too bad.

My Thunderbird will keep me warm during the cold winter.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Wait for Asus'new motherboard with the VIA Technologies KT266A Chipset. Asus' model numbers are the A7V266-E and the A7V266-M. <A HREF="http://www.via.com.tw/jsp/en/products/apollo/ddrmobo.jsp" target="_new"> Motherboard Development - VIA Tech jp </A>

KT266A Chipset is currently the best performer.

<b>Oh Mrs. Green...I'm looking at you...You wore green so you could hide - Caddyshack</b> :lol:

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey B,
It is in your best interest to keep waiting then. In this 3 to 4 weeks retailers should have the new ASUS(w/ Via KT266A) and NForce mobos in stock, and hopefully some good reviews on the production mobos(not pre-production mules). If I were you, I would keep a open mind, buy everything at the same time, and don't look back. This way later, when people ask you why you got that, you can honestly say: I thought I made the best decision with the information that I had at that time. Don't worry after you buy anything, they will always be faster, more reliable and cheaper products in the future. Good Luck.
Peace Out.............tile
P.S. For kicks, I just got a EPoX 8KHA+(KT266A), Athlon XP 1700+, 2x 256mb OCZ PC2400 DDR, Gainward GeForce3 Ti 200, and I am building it right now.

Keep Hope Alive!