System 32 File (exe) interfering with Internet Explorer?

sarah

I had a virus last week (W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen) and quarantined and deleted two
exe files that had the virus (C:WINDOWS\system32\filename.exe &
C:WINDOWS\system32\winhlpp32.exe). Now the virus is gone, but after the
deletion of these two files, my internet has not worked properly since.

When I am on the internet, if I leave explorer unattended for awhile and try
to go back on, it says it cannot detect a server (I have broadband and it
working fine). The only way to resolve this problem is to restart my
computer, then it will work again but only for a short period of time (up to
two hours).

My question is the following: did the deletion of one of the files cause a
glitch in the operating system? Also, can I go to a website where I can
download these two files back into my hard drive?

Please help.

--
Thank you,
Sarah

After removing these baddies your Winsock settings may have got messed up.
You don't want those files back.

Repair/Reset Winsock settings (Links)
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

If XP SP2...
LSPFIX (and possibly WINSOCKFIX) is no longer necessary
with SP2. "netsh winsock reset" will reset the winsock catalog to a nice,
clean state.

If not SP2...

How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811259

[If you have suddenly lost your Internet connection after removing spy-ware
(such as NewDotNet, and Commonname) the following steps will help restore
your connection. This works for Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP.

1.) Download WinsockFix.zip. (by: Option^Explicit)
http://members.shaw.ca/installations/WinsockFix.zip

2.) UnZip WinsockFix.zip (Pay close attention to where the file is extracted
to.)
3.) Run WinsockFix.exe.
4.) Click the Fix button.

This program will clean up your TCP/IP connection and rebuild the database.
After the program is complete, reboot and your problems should be resolved.
----------------------

WinSock Fix
Winsock and TCP Repair Utility
This Utility Restores Registry Keys, that may become corrupt after Removing
the Host Program that
Modified them.]
-----------

The Winsockfix Utility will:
1.) Detect your current Operating System
2.) Release the IP address, taking you "Offline"
3.) Reset the TCP stack using Netsh.exe (Windows XP only)
4.) Delete the current Registry TCP and Winsock Values
5.) Import new "Working" Registry Values
6.) Backup any Current "Hosts" file
7.) Replace the "Hosts" file with a default one
8.) Reboot the Computer
================

WinsockFix.zip direct download
http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip

WinsockFix.zip direct download
http://www.snapfiles.com/dlnow/dlnow.dll?Inc=No&ID=107303

=============

WinsockFix.zip also available here:
http://news.swzone.it/swznews-9826.php
==================

WinsockFix.zip also available here:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
Repairing your Winsock Connection
=============

LSP-Fix
Repairs Winsock 2 settings, caused by buggy or improperly-removed Internet
software, that result in loss of Internet access
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Direct download
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.zip

Using LSP-Fix to remove Spyware & Hijackers
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?s=e86be7821d96fc6470ca665f6f4e2a77&showtutorial=59#conc

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes