slow to boot, sometimes freezes

December 1, 2004 4:07:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I have winxp pro. The installation of windows is about a year old and its
updated with SP2.
I have installed a lot of progams and it seems that by installing them the
pc started to boot slower and slower
during the months that passed. I tried disabling the startup programs
leaving only a very few of them that I need.
But that does not help very much.
My pc is also clean of viruses ans spyware. It takes lots of time from the
point of the welcome screen
where you enter the password to get the interface up and the disk to stop
thrashing like crazy.
Sometimes something happenes and the pc freezes, meaning that the mouse can
move on the
screen but I cannot close or start another program.. and ALT CTRL DEL does
not do anything.
The only option there is to press the RESET button and reload windows hoping
that it will not freeze again.

when I log onto another user the freeze does not happen, even though it has
the same startup programs, and its somewhat faster.

Are there other things being loaded like ocx, dll or other files that become
a big burden when
you install more and more programs? How can I control them?

I was about to transfer my files to another user account that was faster and
use that as my main log on,
but I saw that on the new users Outlook Express opened alot slower, so I
abandoned that Idea.

I am sure that if I format and reinstall it will be fast again, but I am
trying to avoid this.

Any help, ideas, tips would be great.

thanks in advance

More about : slow boot freezes

Anonymous
December 1, 2004 4:07:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Could you have too many programs running in the background?

What processes are occupying your CPU? (Open Task Manager to find out.)

Are you maintaining your computer regularly? (Defragment, disc cleanup,
eyc)?

Ted Zieglar

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>I have winxp pro. The installation of windows is about a year old and its
>updated with SP2.
> I have installed a lot of progams and it seems that by installing them the
> pc started to boot slower and slower
> during the months that passed. I tried disabling the startup programs
> leaving only a very few of them that I need.
> But that does not help very much.
> My pc is also clean of viruses ans spyware. It takes lots of time from the
> point of the welcome screen
> where you enter the password to get the interface up and the disk to stop
> thrashing like crazy.
> Sometimes something happenes and the pc freezes, meaning that the mouse
> can move on the
> screen but I cannot close or start another program.. and ALT CTRL DEL does
> not do anything.
> The only option there is to press the RESET button and reload windows
> hoping that it will not freeze again.
>
> when I log onto another user the freeze does not happen, even though it
> has the same startup programs, and its somewhat faster.
>
> Are there other things being loaded like ocx, dll or other files that
> become a big burden when
> you install more and more programs? How can I control them?
>
> I was about to transfer my files to another user account that was faster
> and use that as my main log on,
> but I saw that on the new users Outlook Express opened alot slower, so I
> abandoned that Idea.
>
> I am sure that if I format and reinstall it will be fast again, but I am
> trying to avoid this.
>

> Any help, ideas, tips would be great.
>
> thanks in advance

Anonymous
December 1, 2004 5:24:50 PM

Kenny S wrote:

> I have installed a lot of progams and it seems that by installing them the
> pc started to boot slower and slower
> Any help, ideas, tips would be great.

Time for a major tuneup.
December 1, 2004 6:41:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I have now 48 processes and I am defraging the harddrive now....
But I dont think that those are the problem...
A screen capture of the taskmanager with the processes is here:
The perfectdisk.exe and PDengine are the defragmenter I am running now...

http://www.computerboom.net/download/kenny/processes.gi...

most of theses tasks I know what they do, but there are some like

alg.exe
hpgs2wnf.exe (probably something from my hp printer)
sdncp.exe
wdfmgr
csrss.exe
smss.exe
spoolsv.exe

that I dont know what they are

> Could you have too many programs running in the background?
>
> What processes are occupying your CPU? (Open Task Manager to find out.)
>
> Are you maintaining your computer regularly? (Defragment, disc cleanup,
> eyc)?
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have winxp pro. The installation of windows is about a year old and its
>>updated with SP2.
>> I have installed a lot of progams and it seems that by installing them
>> the pc started to boot slower and slower
>> during the months that passed. I tried disabling the startup programs
>> leaving only a very few of them that I need.
>> But that does not help very much.
>> My pc is also clean of viruses ans spyware. It takes lots of time from
>> the point of the welcome screen
>> where you enter the password to get the interface up and the disk to stop
>> thrashing like crazy.
>> Sometimes something happenes and the pc freezes, meaning that the mouse
>> can move on the
>> screen but I cannot close or start another program.. and ALT CTRL DEL
>> does not do anything.
>> The only option there is to press the RESET button and reload windows
>> hoping that it will not freeze again.
>>
>> when I log onto another user the freeze does not happen, even though it
>> has the same startup programs, and its somewhat faster.
>>
>> Are there other things being loaded like ocx, dll or other files that
>> become a big burden when
>> you install more and more programs? How can I control them?
>>
>> I was about to transfer my files to another user account that was faster
>> and use that as my main log on,
>> but I saw that on the new users Outlook Express opened alot slower, so I
>> abandoned that Idea.
>>
>> I am sure that if I format and reinstall it will be fast again, but I am
>> trying to avoid this.
>>

>> Any help, ideas, tips would be great.
>>
>> thanks in advance

Anonymous
December 1, 2004 9:16:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I found out about those processes and fixed them.. most of them were XP
system things

>I have now 48 processes and I am defraging the harddrive now....
> But I dont think that those are the problem...
> A screen capture of the taskmanager with the processes is here:
> The perfectdisk.exe and PDengine are the defragmenter I am running now...
>
> http://www.computerboom.net/download/kenny/processes.gi...
>
> most of theses tasks I know what they do, but there are some like
>
> alg.exe
> hpgs2wnf.exe (probably something from my hp printer)
> sdncp.exe
> wdfmgr
> csrss.exe
> smss.exe
> spoolsv.exe
>

> that I dont know what they are

>> Could you have too many programs running in the background?
>>
>> What processes are occupying your CPU? (Open Task Manager to find out.)
>>
>> Are you maintaining your computer regularly? (Defragment, disc cleanup,
>> eyc)?
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>>
>> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have winxp pro. The installation of windows is about a year old and its
>>>updated with SP2.
>>> I have installed a lot of progams and it seems that by installing them
>>> the pc started to boot slower and slower
>>> during the months that passed. I tried disabling the startup programs
>>> leaving only a very few of them that I need.
>>> But that does not help very much.
>>> My pc is also clean of viruses ans spyware. It takes lots of time from
>>> the point of the welcome screen
>>> where you enter the password to get the interface up and the disk to
>>> stop thrashing like crazy.
>>> Sometimes something happenes and the pc freezes, meaning that the mouse
>>> can move on the
>>> screen but I cannot close or start another program.. and ALT CTRL DEL
>>> does not do anything.
>>> The only option there is to press the RESET button and reload windows
>>> hoping that it will not freeze again.
>>>
>>> when I log onto another user the freeze does not happen, even though it
>>> has the same startup programs, and its somewhat faster.
>>>
>>> Are there other things being loaded like ocx, dll or other files that
>>> become a big burden when
>>> you install more and more programs? How can I control them?
>>>
>>> I was about to transfer my files to another user account that was faster
>>> and use that as my main log on,
>>> but I saw that on the new users Outlook Express opened alot slower, so I
>>> abandoned that Idea.
>>>
>>> I am sure that if I format and reinstall it will be fast again, but I am
>>> trying to avoid this.
>>>

>>> Any help, ideas, tips would be great.
>>>
>>> thanks in advance

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 2:43:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

my xp shuts down automatically and shows the message that "the process
lsas.exe terminated unexpectedly and the system will now shutdoen and
restart".and before this happens i get a message that LSA shell export
version terminated.So please tell me how to stop this auto shutdown

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Could you have too many programs running in the background?
>
> What processes are occupying your CPU? (Open Task Manager to find out.)
>
> Are you maintaining your computer regularly? (Defragment, disc cleanup,
> eyc)?
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have winxp pro. The installation of windows is about a year old and its
> >updated with SP2.
> > I have installed a lot of progams and it seems that by installing them the
> > pc started to boot slower and slower
> > during the months that passed. I tried disabling the startup programs
> > leaving only a very few of them that I need.
> > But that does not help very much.
> > My pc is also clean of viruses ans spyware. It takes lots of time from the
> > point of the welcome screen
> > where you enter the password to get the interface up and the disk to stop
> > thrashing like crazy.
> > Sometimes something happenes and the pc freezes, meaning that the mouse
> > can move on the
> > screen but I cannot close or start another program.. and ALT CTRL DEL does
> > not do anything.
> > The only option there is to press the RESET button and reload windows
> > hoping that it will not freeze again.
> >
> > when I log onto another user the freeze does not happen, even though it
> > has the same startup programs, and its somewhat faster.
> >
> > Are there other things being loaded like ocx, dll or other files that
> > become a big burden when
> > you install more and more programs? How can I control them?
> >
> > I was about to transfer my files to another user account that was faster
> > and use that as my main log on,
> > but I saw that on the new users Outlook Express opened alot slower, so I
> > abandoned that Idea.
> >
> > I am sure that if I format and reinstall it will be fast again, but I am
> > trying to avoid this.
> >

> > Any help, ideas, tips would be great.
> >
> > thanks in advance

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 11:23:44 AM

ashik wrote:
> my xp shuts down automatically and shows the message that "the process
> lsas.exe terminated unexpectedly and the system will now shutdoen and
> restart".and before this happens i get a message that LSA shell export
> version terminated.So please tell me how to stop this auto shutdown
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>

>>Could you have too many programs running in the background?
>>
>>What processes are occupying your CPU? (Open Task Manager to find out.)
>>
>>Are you maintaining your computer regularly? (Defragment, disc cleanup,
>>eyc)?
>>
>>Ted Zieglar
>>
>>"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have winxp pro. The installation of windows is about a year old and its
>>>updated with SP2.
>>>I have installed a lot of progams and it seems that by installing them the
>>>pc started to boot slower and slower
>>>during the months that passed. I tried disabling the startup programs
>>>leaving only a very few of them that I need.
>>>But that does not help very much.
>>>My pc is also clean of viruses ans spyware. It takes lots of time from the
>>>point of the welcome screen
>>>where you enter the password to get the interface up and the disk to stop
>>>thrashing like crazy.
>>>Sometimes something happenes and the pc freezes, meaning that the mouse
>>>can move on the
>>>screen but I cannot close or start another program.. and ALT CTRL DEL does
>>>not do anything.
>>>The only option there is to press the RESET button and reload windows
>>>hoping that it will not freeze again.
>>>
>>>when I log onto another user the freeze does not happen, even though it
>>>has the same startup programs, and its somewhat faster.
>>>
>>>Are there other things being loaded like ocx, dll or other files that
>>>become a big burden when
>>>you install more and more programs? How can I control them?
>>>
>>>I was about to transfer my files to another user account that was faster
>>>and use that as my main log on,
>>>but I saw that on the new users Outlook Express opened alot slower, so I
>>>abandoned that Idea.
>>>
>>>I am sure that if I format and reinstall it will be fast again, but I am
>>>trying to avoid this.
>>>

>>>Any help, ideas, tips would be great.
>>>
>>>thanks in advance

Is your "My Documents folder still on the same drive as
the OS?

Try creating a new partition and exporting the folder to
that partition. May help, particularly if you have lots of
Document files, mp3s, pictures or more in there. Lots of
internal baggage slows down the OS, as it has to hunt for
critical file fragments to boot.
After that try finding another copy of lsass.exe and copying
that in to the old files place. If windows says its a
protected file and wants to restart to copy/install, let it
do so. Then run disk cleanup/defrag cycle then chkdsk.

I had this happen a couple of times too until i
partitioned my drive(s) and categorized the data. Now it's
very,very rare.

--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

that is the SASSER worm (virus) creating your problem!
There is a fix for that here:

download and install

"ashik" <ashik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my xp shuts down automatically and shows the message that "the process
> lsas.exe terminated unexpectedly and the system will now shutdoen and
> restart".and before this happens i get a message that LSA shell export
> version terminated.So please tell me how to stop this auto shutdown
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
>> Could you have too many programs running in the background?
>>
>> What processes are occupying your CPU? (Open Task Manager to find out.)
>>
>> Are you maintaining your computer regularly? (Defragment, disc cleanup,
>> eyc)?
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>>
>> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have winxp pro. The installation of windows is about a year old and
>> >its
>> >updated with SP2.
>> > I have installed a lot of progams and it seems that by installing them
>> > the
>> > pc started to boot slower and slower
>> > during the months that passed. I tried disabling the startup programs
>> > leaving only a very few of them that I need.
>> > But that does not help very much.
>> > My pc is also clean of viruses ans spyware. It takes lots of time from
>> > the
>> > point of the welcome screen
>> > where you enter the password to get the interface up and the disk to
>> > stop
>> > thrashing like crazy.
>> > Sometimes something happenes and the pc freezes, meaning that the mouse
>> > can move on the
>> > screen but I cannot close or start another program.. and ALT CTRL DEL
>> > does
>> > not do anything.
>> > The only option there is to press the RESET button and reload windows
>> > hoping that it will not freeze again.
>> >
>> > when I log onto another user the freeze does not happen, even though it
>> > has the same startup programs, and its somewhat faster.
>> >
>> > Are there other things being loaded like ocx, dll or other files that
>> > become a big burden when
>> > you install more and more programs? How can I control them?
>> >
>> > I was about to transfer my files to another user account that was
>> > faster
>> > and use that as my main log on,
>> > but I saw that on the new users Outlook Express opened alot slower, so
>> > abandoned that Idea.
>> >
>> > I am sure that if I format and reinstall it will be fast again, but I
>> > am
>> > trying to avoid this.
>> >

>> > Any help, ideas, tips would be great.
>> >
>> > thanks in advance

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 6:20:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

in order to stop the countdown and download the fix I told you about do
this:

once the countdown starts go to START>RUN
and type: shutdown -a
then press enter

that will stop the shutdown and let you download and install the fix.

!