The sliding arrow has vanished from my notification area. I have tried
resetting the values in the properties area, but it does nothing. Any
suggestions?

Try the following,

Right click a blank spot on the bottom tool bar,
select Properties,
Click Hide Inactive Icons and the Customize button,
Double click a current item and select your choice of Hide when inactive,
Always hide,
Always show.

"Sally" <strongsally@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The sliding arrow has vanished from my notification area. I have tried
> resetting the values in the properties area, but it does nothing. Any
> suggestions?

Thanks Jerry... I have tried that with no change.

Does it make any change when you lock or unlock the task bar ?

> Thanks Jerry... I have tried that with no change.

No...that doesn't do anything.

I've got a related problem that just cropped up. I can activate/inactivate
the "hide inactive icons" feature is I go into properties and then customize
in the following way: take one of the entries that says "hide when inactive"
and change it to, say, "always hide." Apparently changing the setting for a
single item will get the thing going again.

but, related problem: the icons that are set to "hide when inactive" don't
seem to want to hide for this username (even though I tinkered, as above, for
this same username). The same feature seems to work fine for other users.

any idea if there's a way to tinker w the settings to recalibrate how long
it takes for something to register itself as "inactive"?

(also related: had same problem on office computer all of a sudden, worked
for several hours and nothing disappeared as inactive; left computer on
overnight, when I came back in morning it was functioning properly. weird.)

thanks?

Tenney