EQ2 Scribe - Impossible to be successful ?

I chose a scribe as a trade profession and am currently level 15. I
was just browsing the scrolls for sale and see truckloads of people
selling app3 scrolls for 3sp.

How can they do this ? In order to scribe an app3 scroll I need to buy
a maple quill which go for 5sp and a piece of caliun paper at 6sp.
That's 11sp before you even take into account harvesting materials for
the ink and time spent making the scrolls.

You'd have to be charging 15-20sp before it became worthwhile, yet
people are selling them for 3sp ?

Cheers,

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:47:05 GMT, Fazza <gjf_fazza@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I chose a scribe as a trade profession and am currently level 15. I
>was just browsing the scrolls for sale and see truckloads of people
>selling app3 scrolls for 3sp.
>
>How can they do this ? In order to scribe an app3 scroll I need to buy
>a maple quill which go for 5sp and a piece of caliun paper at 6sp.
>That's 11sp before you even take into account harvesting materials for
>the ink and time spent making the scrolls.
>
>You'd have to be charging 15-20sp before it became worthwhile, yet
>people are selling them for 3sp ?

Alts making the other supplies and passing them off through shared
bank slots, I'd wager. That, or the ones selling cheap are ones people
got as mob drops? (They do drop off mobs, right? 's what I've been
told)

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

"Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:47:05 GMT, Fazza <gjf_fazza@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I chose a scribe as a trade profession and am currently level 15. I
>>was just browsing the scrolls for sale and see truckloads of people
>>selling app3 scrolls for 3sp.
>>
>>How can they do this ? In order to scribe an app3 scroll I need to buy
>>a maple quill which go for 5sp and a piece of caliun paper at 6sp.
>>That's 11sp before you even take into account harvesting materials for
>>the ink and time spent making the scrolls.
>>
>>You'd have to be charging 15-20sp before it became worthwhile, yet
>>people are selling them for 3sp ?
>
> Alts making the other supplies and passing them off through shared
> bank slots, I'd wager. That, or the ones selling cheap are ones people
> got as mob drops? (They do drop off mobs, right? 's what I've been
> told)
>
> --
> Dark Tyger
>
> Sympathy for the retailer:
> http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
> "Door's to your left" -Gord
> (I have no association with this site. Just thought it was funny as hell)
>
> Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

I've made a lot of my app3 scrolls just w/ stuff I've harvested. No maple
quill needed for some of them. no calium paper. The crusader/sk line of
spells is pretty easy to make (at least some of them)

"Fazza" <gjf_fazza@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I chose a scribe as a trade profession and am currently level 15. I
> was just browsing the scrolls for sale and see truckloads of people
> selling app3 scrolls for 3sp.
>
> How can they do this ? In order to scribe an app3 scroll I need to buy
> a maple quill which go for 5sp and a piece of caliun paper at 6sp.
> That's 11sp before you even take into account harvesting materials for
> the ink and time spent making the scrolls.
>
> You'd have to be charging 15-20sp before it became worthwhile, yet
> people are selling them for 3sp ?

Prices are high right now, due to everyone trying to skill up past those
levels. It'll settle down soon, hopefully. But at the moment the
interdependence is driving the market more than a bit crazy. All of the
trade classes are busy gouging each other unless you have several friends that
want to craft as a group, or are willing to raise up some mules.

5s is high for a quill though, and 6s for the paper is outrageous. One
chemical and one foraged component in the paper. I personally sell mine for
2s when I make it... but up to 3s is probably reasonable.

Try checking the broker at other times, rather than just buying whatever is on
there, and assuming it must be going rate. Or ask in the crafting channel
if anyone wants to trade scholar products for paper or quills.

Perhaps the App 3's you're seeing sold for 3s are the tier 1? Those are made
quite a bit cheaper....

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

Gouge them back for stroma wash resin and oil. Every class has things
they can make and the othe classes need. They cant make decent quills
without stromas nor much else of higher level.

Fazza wrote:
> I chose a scribe as a trade profession and am currently level 15. I
> was just browsing the scrolls for sale and see truckloads of people
> selling app3 scrolls for 3sp.
>
> How can they do this ? In order to scribe an app3 scroll I need to buy
> a maple quill which go for 5sp and a piece of caliun paper at 6sp.
> That's 11sp before you even take into account harvesting materials for
> the ink and time spent making the scrolls.
>
> You'd have to be charging 15-20sp before it became worthwhile, yet
> people are selling them for 3sp ?
>
> Cheers,

Join the local trade and crafting channels for your area. If the prices
on the market are outrageous, look for your own source. There are many
folks out there that will do it for trade. As someone else mentioned,
washes and tempers are good trade fodder.

Inyidd

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 05:02:00 GMT, "Davian"
<davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:

>5s is high for a quill though, and 6s for the paper is outrageous. One
>chemical and one foraged component in the paper. I personally sell mine for
>2s when I make it... but up to 3s is probably reasonable.

What trade makes these ? I've been checking for days and these are the
going prices for the 4-5 days that i've been looking. I'll make myself
a mule and make my own if possible.

Cheers,

some ap3 scrolls are about 5s, but some 20s and even 40s. I am 18lvl
and still have some spells unupgraded.

I think the biggest question is what tier scrolls are being sold for
3sp? Tier one, which includes Smite can be crafted by a single
artisan, so they should be pretty inexpensive. If you harvest all of
the ingrediants yourself, total out of pocket expense for a tier 1
spell is well under 1sp. Once you jump to tier 2, you have to buy the
quill and paper from someone else (or make an alt to supply them) so
expect the price for the finished product to be higher.

Qayla

"Fazza" <gjf_fazza@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I chose a scribe as a trade profession and am currently level 15. I
> was just browsing the scrolls for sale and see truckloads of people
> selling app3 scrolls for 3sp.
>
> How can they do this ? In order to scribe an app3 scroll I need to buy
> a maple quill which go for 5sp and a piece of caliun paper at 6sp.
> That's 11sp before you even take into account harvesting materials for
> the ink and time spent making the scrolls.
>
> You'd have to be charging 15-20sp before it became worthwhile, yet
> people are selling them for 3sp ?
>
> Cheers,

I was killing white spideys in the cave outside Qeynos and some gnome handed
me a App 3 smite for free! I thanked him profusely for being so nice. But
it shows that maybe in addition to him being nice, that app3 scrolls are not
nearly as valuable as you might think, despite what the investment is to
make them.

LoonBoon

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 06:11:02 GMT, Fazza <gjf_fazza@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 05:02:00 GMT, "Davian"
><davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>5s is high for a quill though, and 6s for the paper is outrageous. One
>>chemical and one foraged component in the paper. I personally sell mine for
>>2s when I make it... but up to 3s is probably reasonable.
>
>What trade makes these ? I've been checking for days and these are the
>going prices for the 4-5 days that i've been looking. I'll make myself
>a mule and make my own if possible.

Artisans make Maple Quill and Callin Paper - I made an alt to make
them, so my main (a Scholar) could make app3s on her own, as
quantities of both were in short supply.

And what's with all the carrots ?

On 2004-12-09, Davian <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
>> You'd have to be charging 15-20sp before it became worthwhile, yet
>> people are selling them for 3sp ?

I made apprentice 3 scrolls for my early skill still on the Isle of
Refuge, so its not hard. All I used were foraged roots, mined
lead, canine spit, etc. Making it was time consuming, but free. I didnt
sell them, of course, I used them myself, but I did almost all my
starting combat skills; certainly all the ones I used soloing, and
sneak and pathfinding as well.

Matt

Wolfie

Fazza wrote:

> I chose a scribe as a trade profession and am currently level 15. I
> was just browsing the scrolls for sale and see truckloads of people
> selling app3 scrolls for 3sp.
>
> How can they do this ? In order to scribe an app3 scroll I need to buy
> a maple quill which go for 5sp and a piece of caliun paper at 6sp.
> That's 11sp before you even take into account harvesting materials for
> the ink and time spent making the scrolls.
>
> You'd have to be charging 15-20sp before it became worthwhile, yet
> people are selling them for 3sp ?

There is -- or was -- a feature/bug/exploit which allows a
tradeskill class to scribe the level 10 books for the other
classes. So you'd have the recipe for the maple quill and
caliun paper and could make them yourself. The books cost
4s80c IIRC -- and a lot of people just traded for them (i.e.,
give someone a level 10 scholar for a level 10 craftsman,
etc.) or paid 10s for them. They'd have a harder time
making pristine items without the second tier buffs, of course,
but with secondary components it doesn't matter anyway.

So you don't really *need* a mule (or another crafter) until
level 20 (unless the secondary component is level 11 or
higher.)

"Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in message
> Fazza wrote:
>
> > I chose a scribe as a trade profession and am currently level 15. I
> > was just browsing the scrolls for sale and see truckloads of people
> > selling app3 scrolls for 3sp.
> >
> > How can they do this ? In order to scribe an app3 scroll I need to buy
> > a maple quill which go for 5sp and a piece of caliun paper at 6sp.
> > That's 11sp before you even take into account harvesting materials for
> > the ink and time spent making the scrolls.
> >
> > You'd have to be charging 15-20sp before it became worthwhile, yet
> > people are selling them for 3sp ?
>
> There is -- or was -- a feature/bug/exploit which allows a
> tradeskill class to scribe the level 10 books for the other
> classes. So you'd have the recipe for the maple quill and
> caliun paper and could make them yourself. The books cost
> 4s80c IIRC -- and a lot of people just traded for them (i.e.,
> give someone a level 10 scholar for a level 10 craftsman,
> etc.) or paid 10s for them. They'd have a harder time
> making pristine items without the second tier buffs, of course,
> but with secondary components it doesn't matter anyway.
>
> So you don't really *need* a mule (or another crafter) until
> level 20 (unless the secondary component is level 11 or
> higher.)

SOE are planning on fixing that feature at some point, which may include
removing those recipies from people who scribed the incorrect book. So that way
around it might work for a while, but I wouldn't count on being able to do it
long term.

Rich

Wolfie

Richard Wingrove wrote:
> "Wolfie" wrote

>> There is -- or was -- a feature/bug/exploit which allows a
>> tradeskill class to scribe the level 10 books for the other
>> classes.

> SOE are planning on fixing that feature at some point, which may
> include removing those recipies from people who scribed the incorrect
> book. So that way around it might work for a while, but I wouldn't
> count on being able to do it long term.

Neither would I. As I pointed out, it *only* works for the level
10 books anyway. As soon as you want to make something
which requires something higher-level you'll need a mule or
friend or money anyway.

But *right now* people can use that feature/bug/exploit and
make the subcomponents themselves -- which means they
can sell App3 scrolls for substantially less (3s) than someone
who has to buy them (15s.)

Long-term the "lone craftsman" will always have a much
harder time being profitable than someone with mules or
friend/guild associates. EQ2 is a grouping game -- you
need a group to do much of anything useful, whether
fighting or crafting. You CAN solo -- but you WON'T
be on a level playing field with groups. The only real
difference is you can create your own crafting group
with only one account (even though you'll still need to
buy a few items since you're limited to 4 crafters.)

Fazza <gjf_fazza@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I chose a scribe as a trade profession and am currently level 15. I
> was just browsing the scrolls for sale and see truckloads of people
> selling app3 scrolls for 3sp.
>
> How can they do this ? In order to scribe an app3 scroll I need to buy
> a maple quill which go for 5sp and a piece of caliun paper at 6sp.
> That's 11sp before you even take into account harvesting materials for
> the ink and time spent making the scrolls.
>
> You'd have to be charging 15-20sp before it became worthwhile, yet
> people are selling them for 3sp ?

Perhaps they have an alt making the quills and paper for them? Another
thing to consider is that they are selling them at a loss in order to move
them, and not be a total loss.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
Graeme, 17 Dwarven Shaman, 14 Scholar

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in

> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:47:05 GMT, Fazza <gjf_fazza@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I chose a scribe as a trade profession and am currently level 15. I
>>was just browsing the scrolls for sale and see truckloads of people
>>selling app3 scrolls for 3sp.
>>
>>How can they do this ? In order to scribe an app3 scroll I need to buy
>>a maple quill which go for 5sp and a piece of caliun paper at 6sp.
>>That's 11sp before you even take into account harvesting materials for
>>the ink and time spent making the scrolls.
>>
>>You'd have to be charging 15-20sp before it became worthwhile, yet
>>people are selling them for 3sp ?
>
> Alts making the other supplies and passing them off through shared
> bank slots, I'd wager. That, or the ones selling cheap are ones people
> got as mob drops? (They do drop off mobs, right? 's what I've been
> told)

Not App 3s. Adept 1 drops off mobs, as do maybe some higher ones.

--

Moopy <pingu@keg.zymurgy.org> wrote in

> On 2004-12-09, Davian <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote:
>>> You'd have to be charging 15-20sp before it became worthwhile, yet
>>> people are selling them for 3sp ?
>>>

> I made apprentice 3 scrolls for my early skill still on the Isle of
> Refuge, so its not hard. All I used were foraged roots, mined
> lead, canine spit, etc. Making it was time consuming, but free. I didnt
> sell them, of course, I used them myself, but I did almost all my
> starting combat skills; certainly all the ones I used soloing, and
> sneak and pathfinding as well.
>
> Matt

That would be the tier 1 app 3 scrolls, the tier 2 ones require someone
other than a scholar to make the quills and paper.

--

"LoonBoon" <LCallis@nuvox.net> wrote in

> "Fazza" <gjf_fazza@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I chose a scribe as a trade profession and am currently level 15. I
>> was just browsing the scrolls for sale and see truckloads of people
>> selling app3 scrolls for 3sp.
>>
>> How can they do this ? In order to scribe an app3 scroll I need to
>> buy a maple quill which go for 5sp and a piece of caliun paper at
>> 6sp. That's 11sp before you even take into account harvesting
>> materials for the ink and time spent making the scrolls.
>>
>> You'd have to be charging 15-20sp before it became worthwhile, yet
>> people are selling them for 3sp ?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> I was killing white spideys in the cave outside Qeynos and some gnome
> handed me a App 3 smite for free! I thanked him profusely for being
> so nice. But it shows that maybe in addition to him being nice, that
> app3 scrolls are not nearly as valuable as you might think, despite
> what the investment is to make them.

Smite is tier 1, and is dirt cheap to make, others are tier 2, and cost
more to make, and, more importantly, require two different tradeskills to
make.

--

"Richard Wingrove" <rich@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in message
> > Fazza wrote:
> >
> > > I chose a scribe as a trade profession and am currently level 15. I
> > > was just browsing the scrolls for sale and see truckloads of people
> > > selling app3 scrolls for 3sp.
> > >
> > > How can they do this ? In order to scribe an app3 scroll I need to buy
> > > a maple quill which go for 5sp and a piece of caliun paper at 6sp.
> > > That's 11sp before you even take into account harvesting materials for
> > > the ink and time spent making the scrolls.
> > >
> > > You'd have to be charging 15-20sp before it became worthwhile, yet
> > > people are selling them for 3sp ?
> >
> > There is -- or was -- a feature/bug/exploit which allows a
> > tradeskill class to scribe the level 10 books for the other
> > classes. So you'd have the recipe for the maple quill and
> > caliun paper and could make them yourself. The books cost
> > 4s80c IIRC -- and a lot of people just traded for them (i.e.,
> > give someone a level 10 scholar for a level 10 craftsman,
> > etc.) or paid 10s for them. They'd have a harder time
> > making pristine items without the second tier buffs, of course,
> > but with secondary components it doesn't matter anyway.
> >
> > So you don't really *need* a mule (or another crafter) until
> > level 20 (unless the secondary component is level 11 or
> > higher.)
>
> SOE are planning on fixing that feature at some point, which may include
> removing those recipies from people who scribed the incorrect book. So
that way
> around it might work for a while, but I wouldn't count on being able to do
it
> long term.

I hope while they're at it they also put the recipes in the right books.
That's a major reason why people are doing this; the recipes are screwed up.

There's no reason in the world that Outfitters can make every piece of
ironmongery in the game *except* iron buckles and iron studs. Similarly,
why is it that Craftsmen make Burlap Patterns? I can understand and would
accept that an Outfitter would have to go to a Craftsman to get the paper
for the pattern, but the pattern itself should be made by the tailor (the
aspiring Outfitter). That's one of the things tailors do, they make
clothing patterns. They don't go kyoodling off to a cabinetmaker (or a
papermaker) for a finished pattern.

Now that I've specialized in Armoursmith, I'd expect to go to a Tailor to
get my patterns, no more making patterns for me. Similarly, I'd expect to
get my more advanced paddings from him. But why do I have to get studs from
an Alchemist or Jeweler (dunno which one will be making them)?

An Outfitter should go to Scholars for inks and stinks, and to Craftsmen for
woods and goods, and they should come to us for the rusty bits.