Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Lagbuster

Last response: in Video Games
Share
November 9, 2011 12:09:07 PM

Port forward, get an iplate (if using an old adsl line), get new filters (again adsl only) and if that fails change providers.

Gaming NIC's, lag busting software and lag busting hardware are all BS products which tend to cause more hassle then there worth.
Score
0
November 9, 2011 2:31:40 PM

It's BS. if your network cannot deliver no piece of crap on your end will force it to.
Score
0
November 9, 2011 2:46:50 PM

i'm not thinking of buying one, just wanted to know what u guys think. i hate the lag 007 for wii. particularly when hosting. but do u guys thinks this thing works? do u think that xbox, sony, or nintendo could integrate this tecno into their systems? think it has a future?
Score
0
November 9, 2011 2:56:26 PM

Nope its just another BS product which has the sole aim of tricking people into buying it.
Think chocolate fireguard
Score
0

Best solution

November 10, 2011 9:18:07 AM

I strongly disagree in principle with the previous posters. While I don't know the effectiveness of this particular product, the prioritization of game traffic for QoS is something extremely useful for anyone in general, and in particular for those whose internet connection is used by more than one device. Some high end routers provide a Quality Of Service filtering option allowing the priority setting of different types of packets. My router does this, albeit somewhat poorly. In my experience router-based QoS is put on as an afterthought by the manufacturer (for regular consumer routers anyhow). The built-in list of games and their corresponding protocols and ports is usually short and rarely (if ever) updated. Manual settings are difficult for most people, and even for experts the number of rules you can add can be limited (they are quite limited on the router I use).

Now like I said I can't vouch for this product or company, but it appears to me like this is the only product they sell and I would imagine their firmware updates are quite frequent and likely include all the settings you will need for today's games.

I've been looking for a product like this for a while (I didn't want to buy an enterprise router and I certainly didn't want to configure the damn thing weekly). I might buy this thing myself. Although $200 is a bit steep.
Share
November 10, 2011 9:35:49 AM

@intel4eva

You don't need a enterprise level router, simply get a tomato firmware (or similar) compatible router.
Score
0
November 10, 2011 12:30:04 PM

i'm with intel4eva (awesome by the way). you guys should watch the videos on the site. they make sense to me.

but what if someone else is lagging? would they lag on their screen but not yours?
Score
0
November 10, 2011 4:53:11 PM

I would have to agree with most people here. There are so many factors that can cause lag, and not all of them are your own connection. I don't think some over priced gadget like this can totally eliminate lag.
Maybe you are up late, and maybe you are in a room with mostly European players when you are in the US. That right there on certain games is enough to cause some very bad lagging.

It is possible that it would help some people, but i have been gaming a long time now and lag just happens sometimes. No matter how fast your connection is.
Score
0
November 10, 2011 5:54:43 PM

Hey guys. Thanks to the magic of Google Alerts we found your thread on LagBuster. I am a representative of Sejent Corporation and I would be more than happy to answer any questions that you have about our product. Post them here and I will check this thread periodically to post responses.
Score
0
November 10, 2011 5:55:10 PM

AntiZig said:
It's BS. if your network cannot deliver no piece of crap on your end will force it to.


That is correct. If your Internet connection is too slow to run an online game then no hardware will be able to fix it for you. However, most games only require between 32 kilobits per second (kbps) and 100kbps of upstream bandwidth to be played lag-free, meaning that virtually every broadband connection is fast enough to play games as long as you can ensure that the game traffic is not interfered with.
Score
0
November 10, 2011 5:57:05 PM

intel4eva said:
I strongly disagree in principle with the previous posters. While I don't know the effectiveness of this particular product, the prioritization of game traffic for QoS is something extremely useful for anyone in general, and in particular for those whose internet connection is used by more than one device. Some high end routers provide a Quality Of Service filtering option allowing the priority setting of different types of packets. My router does this, albeit somewhat poorly.


That is also correct, however prioritization itself is not enough to effectively eliminate lag from online games. While the high end routers that you mention usually are very good pieces of equipment, they fail in one crucial area: measuring the bandwidth of your connection in real time. In the control panel of routers with prioritization features you will see an input field that asks you to estimate the upstream bandwidth of your connection. The problem with this method is that bandwidth of broadband connections changes rapidly (“bandwidth thrashing”), so a static value for bandwidth doesn’t really do your equipment any good. Because of bandwidth thrashing your actual available bandwidth is almost never equal to what your ISP claims your bandwidth is. We have a couple of videos on the link in the OP that illustrate why measuring speed is so important. I’ll link them for you here:

What causes lag?

How to eliminate lag

Score
0
November 10, 2011 6:09:22 PM

steimy said:
I would have to agree with most people here. There are so many factors that can cause lag, and not all of them are your own connection. I don't think some over priced gadget like this can totally eliminate lag.
Maybe you are up late, and maybe you are in a room with mostly European players when you are in the US. That right there on certain games is enough to cause some very bad lagging.

It is possible that it would help some people, but i have been gaming a long time now and lag just happens sometimes. No matter how fast your connection is.


You are absolutely correct; there are many different causes of lag. The lag you are referring to is due to latency (the time it takes for your packets to travel from your home to your opponent’s home overseas). You are correct in saying that the LagBuster will not fix latency. Delays in travel time are an unfortunate by-product of the laws of physics (perhaps we can get CERN’s help solving that problem). The LagBuster eliminates all delays caused by your home network, which are typically much greater than the delays caused by latency or server processing, etc. (think 50ms-100ms delays outside of your home network vs 250ms-1000ms delays inside your home network). Again, you can watch the “What Causes Lag” video for a more detailed explanation.
Score
0
November 10, 2011 6:24:17 PM

intel4eva said:
I strongly disagree in principle with the previous posters. While I don't know the effectiveness of this particular product, the prioritization of game traffic for QoS is something extremely useful for anyone in general, and in particular for those whose internet connection is used by more than one device. Some high end routers provide a Quality Of Service filtering option allowing the priority setting of different types of packets. My router does this, albeit somewhat poorly. In my experience router-based QoS is put on as an afterthought by the manufacturer (for regular consumer routers anyhow). The built-in list of games and their corresponding protocols and ports is usually short and rarely (if ever) updated. Manual settings are difficult for most people, and even for experts the number of rules you can add can be limited (they are quite limited on the router I use).

Now like I said I can't vouch for this product or company, but it appears to me like this is the only product they sell and I would imagine their firmware updates are quite frequent and likely include all the settings you will need for today's games.

I've been looking for a product like this for a while (I didn't want to buy an enterprise router and I certainly didn't want to configure the damn thing weekly). I might buy this thing myself. Although $200 is a bit steep.

The product is just a stripped down switch with a Qos on it and an ugly housing. It will help a little on a very busy network, but it will do nothing (or next to nothing) for the average user. As you said, getting a high end router, or flashing a good router, will do the same thing, while providing a great many more helpful features to the network at the same time.

When it comes down to it though, 99% of lag is provided by your friendly neighborhood ISP, because many of them do not have enough equipment installed to handel all the upstream data flow, and so your packets are getting placed behind everyone else's packets, and you have no controll over that. If you are having lag issues try something like http://speedtest.net/ and if your lag is anywhere close to 100 then complain to your ISP and they may help you out (for fear of loosing a customer). As previously mentioned, DSL is highly dependant on the quality of your phone line, so new wires, new filters, and other tricks help. On cable the most you can really do is get a better cable modem, and whine and complain until the internet company upgrades.

Also, the class of your internet determines ping rate. DSL will often be north of 50, there is no helping that, it is old tech. Cable should be south of 40, and optical should be damn near instant. This does not change based on the 'speed' of your internet package. The throughput of your internet is different than your ping rate, so even on a slow optical connection caped at DSL speed should still have an instant (10 or less) ping rate.

For $200 you can buy a sweet router that would solve all your problems. Any time a company uses some 'cool kid' to hock a product you can almost be sure it is crap.
Score
0
November 10, 2011 7:56:09 PM

@sejent

What about other people lagging? I'm thinking that everyone would have to own one of these to make a difference...
can they lag on their screen but not on yours?
Score
0
November 10, 2011 8:15:45 PM

Ben95 said:
@sejent

What about other people lagging? I'm thinking that everyone would have to own one of these to make a difference...
can they lag on their screen but not on yours?


It depends on the game. In most games (first person shooters for example), it does not matter if other people are lagging. In fact, if you have a LagBuster, you will have an advantage over the other players in these types of games because they are lagging and you are not. You can think of it as though they are playing in slow motion but you are still playing the game at full speed.

In some games, the speed of the game depends on the slowest connection. In these games (ex: RTS games, Most sports games) it is possible to see lag if your opponent lags because the game slows down for everyone. With a LagBuster you will never be at a disadvantage because of lag in these games. You are correct: if everyone had a LagBuster in these types of games, then all lag caused by any player’s network would be eliminated.
Score
0
November 10, 2011 9:04:35 PM

Sejent said:
It depends on the game. In most games (first person shooters for example), it does not matter if other people are lagging. In fact, if you have a LagBuster, you will have an advantage over the other players in these types of games because they are lagging and you are not. You can think of it as though they are playing in slow motion but you are still playing the game at full speed.

In some games, the speed of the game depends on the slowest connection. In these games (ex: RTS games, Most sports games) it is possible to see lag if your opponent lags because the game slows down for everyone. With a LagBuster you will never be at a disadvantage because of lag in these games. You are correct: if everyone had a LagBuster in these types of games, then all lag caused by any player’s network would be eliminated.

so with a lagbuster your game may slow down do other players, but you'll never freeze and then "jump" right?
u still want one intel4ever?
Score
0
November 10, 2011 10:19:30 PM

well I got to say nice vids

so let me get one question in, lagbuster can measure available bandwidth but no router or modem can do the same thing?
Score
0
November 10, 2011 10:19:33 PM

Ben95 said:
so with a lagbuster your game may slow down do other players, but you'll never freeze and then "jump" right?
u still want one intel4ever?


Again, everything depends on the type of game. If you let me know what game you are playing I could more accurately answer your question.

When I am using the LagBuster I never experience rubberbanding or jumping around while playing a game like Call of Duty.

If you are playing a game such as StarCraft II, you may experience some lag and get the "Waiting for so and so" screen, but you will never be the one causing the lag, and if you play with other players who are using a LagBuster, you will not experience lag.

There are certain games where the world for every player is synced with the slowest player in the game (starcraft II). There are other games where the world is synced with the server or host and is not affected by other players in the match (call of duty).
Score
0
November 10, 2011 10:24:52 PM

AntiZig said:
well I got to say nice vids

so let me get one question in, lagbuster can measure available bandwidth but no router or modem can do the same thing?


You are absolutely correct. Considering how important knowing how much bandwidth you actually have is, that is a major failing of routers and modems. No router or modem has the capability to measure the bandwidth of your connection. LagBuster can measure your bandwidth in real time.
Score
0
November 11, 2011 12:18:42 PM

Would it work for the wii? on your site it says any system, but only lists 360, ps3, and pc. also, would it work if one guy is playing pc, and other is playing wii on the same router?
Score
0
November 11, 2011 2:45:34 PM

yes it will work as long as you connect the thing correctly between the router and modem
Score
0
November 17, 2011 10:59:36 PM

Best answer selected by ben95.
Score
0
!