Athlon XP motherboard: Any suggestions?

lordneptune

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
I was thinking about upgrading my computer to one of those new Athlon XP processors, and found myself unsure of what motherboard to get for it. Any suggestions?

-Lord Neptune

Don't criticize me the day I don't know. Criticize me the day I don't want to know.

G

Maybe the new Iwill XP333 or XP333-R Motherboard is worth waiting for. It's supposed to support PC2700 (333Mhz) RAM and ATA133 Hard Drives

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
MSI offers a truckload of motherboards, among them the MSI KT266 and the KT266 Pro-2 RU (with RAID and USB 2) both with 266A chipsets. I've heard some good things about them. See them at <A HREF="http://Newegg.com" target="_new">http://Newegg.com</A>, also good prices and serice.
Good Luck, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by take_out on 11/02/01 10:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
you will narrow it down first by knowing what you want from a board (features not chipset), then match those features with the chipset you want. do you want onboard sound or are you getting/already have a sound card. onboard raid. usb 2.0, how many pci slots do you need/want? any board that has been put out in the past 10 months or so will most likely support the XP's, with a bios upgrade.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
you will narrow it down first by knowing what you want from a board (features not chipset), then match those features with the chipset you want. how much do you want to spend? do you want onboard sound or are you getting/already have a sound card. onboard raid. usb 2.0, how many pci slots do you need/want? any board that has been put out in the past 10 months or so will most likely support the XP's, with a bios upgrade.

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I am using my Abit KG7 Raid with the Athlon XP 1800 and so far so good. But if you are looking into the new via chipset (kt266a) then try the Abit Kr7 (???) not sure of the number but it's the new one, also not sure if its out.

lordneptune

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
Well, I had been thinking about something within the 150 to 200 dollar range. I think I'm going to stick with the KT266A chipset. From what I've seen, it's the best one out there right now for the Athlon processors. I had seen one motherboard that supported both PC133 DDR ram, but that didn't have the chipset I was looking for. I don't really need sound on the MB, because I have a decent sound card already. I don't really mind if it has USB 2.0 or not. (Though, that would be very nice.) I've kinda had my eye on ASUS, but I can't find prices for their boards anywhere. <The A7V266-E is what I have my eye on right now...> But, is that one the best? Thanks for all the responces so far, though.

Don't criticize me the day I don't know. Criticize me the day I don't want to know.

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
hmm i forgot about USB 2 when i was choosing my mobo (Gigabyte GA-7VTXH my choice, no Raid, decent sound)... i vaguely recall reading somewhere that USB2 stuff has a lot of difficulty working at all on a USB1 (whereas USB2 takes USB1 no probs) - might mean buying peripherals in future difficult...

edit: oh btw i think most mobos will need the bios upgraded before XP will work properly, though im told it will still work, but just as a normal athlon chip...

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DaveGOD on 11/03/01 01:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

The ASUS ASA7V226-E-WA with the KT-266A is listed for $179 staring 11/9 at www.pcprogress.com

Resellerratings.com gives the vendor 4.8 out of 7.0 so be a little careful if you order from them.

G

IF you are sure you want a KT266A solution, I recommend waiting a few more weeks to see what the big dogs produce. MSI is a bargain house and I think there will be better implementations between now and Christmas (ASUS and ABit make some solid hardware. Just starting to see ASUS offerings, and ABit's KR7 will come soon)

------------------

:cool: <b>Do YOU deserve Da Bird?</b> :cool: