MSCAT.EXE Anyone know what this is? Does? Why it exists? A..

....is it sapping most of my system resources causing this thing to run so
darn slow? Did the spybot, ad-aware and the virus scan thing. mscat seemed to
disappear yesterday eve and the machine ran great. It's back again tonight
and the machine is a dog!

Any help?

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Winsum38" <Winsum38@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ...is it sapping most of my system resources causing this thing to run so
> darn slow? Did the spybot, ad-aware and the virus scan thing. mscat seemed
> disappear yesterday eve and the machine ran great. It's back again tonight
> and the machine is a dog!
>
> Any help?
Do you mean MSCStat.exe? if so look here:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=&letter=M

Thanx Tony but it is 'msCAT.exe'. I can remove this in task manager if I do
it first thing in task manager and it doesn't come back until next start up,
but if I start surfing or doing other things before I remove it, it
immediately comes back no matter how many times I remove it.

Anybody? Bueler? Anybody? Bueler?

"Tony" wrote:

> "Winsum38" <Winsum38@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ...is it sapping most of my system resources causing this thing to run so
> > darn slow? Did the spybot, ad-aware and the virus scan thing. mscat seemed
> > disappear yesterday eve and the machine ran great. It's back again tonight
> > and the machine is a dog!
> >
> > Any help?
> Do you mean MSCStat.exe? if so look here:
> http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=&letter=M

Has all the marks of spyware.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:
> Has all the marks of spyware.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Winsum38" <Winsum38@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > Thanx Tony but it is 'msCAT.exe'. I can remove this in task
> manager if I
> do
> > it first thing in task manager and it doesn't come back
> until next start
> up,
> > but if I start surfing or doing other things before I remove
> it, it
> > immediately comes back no matter how many times I remove it.
> >
> > Anybody? Bueler? Anybody? Bueler?
> >
> > "Tony" wrote:
> >
>  > >
>  > > "Winsum38"
> <Winsum38@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>  > >
>   > > > ...is it sapping most of my system resources
> causing this thing to run
> so
>   > > > darn slow? Did the spybot, ad-aware and the
> virus scan thing. mscat
> seemed
>   > > > disappear yesterday eve and the machine ran
> great. It's back again
> tonight
>   > > > and the machine is a dog!
>   > > >
>   > > > Any help?
>  > > Do you mean MSCStat.exe? if so look here:
>  > >
> http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=&letter=M
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >

I also noticed this mscat.exe and my PC is running extremly slow...
Did you ever find out what it is?

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Perform-Maintain-MSCAT.EXE-exists-ftopict232128.html

Hey Kristaj,

Haven't found out what it is yet. Sent it to McAfee for them to investigate
but haven't heard back yet.

I created a new xp user account and deleted the old one. It's kind of a pain
because the original account was my 'owner' account so I had to log on to it
and copy the files over to my new name. It wouldn't let me access them
otherwise.

The only other workaround was to get into task manager immediately after
signing on and clicking 'end process' for mscat. Naturally, it's only a temp
fix cause' it will come back next sign on.

Hope this helped. Good luck.

"winsum38" wrote:
> [...]
>  > > causing this thing to run
>  > > so
>   > > > > > darn slow? Did the spybot, ad-aware
> and the
>  > > virus scan thing. mscat
>  > > seemed
>   > > > > > disappear yesterday eve and the
> machine ran
>  > > great. It's back again
>  > > tonight
>   > > > > > and the machine is a dog!
>   > > > > >
>   > > > > > Any help?
>   > > > > Do you mean MSCStat.exe? if so look
> here:
>   > > > >
>  > >
> http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=&letter=M
>   > > > >
>   > > > >
>   > > > >
> >
> > I also noticed this mscat.exe and my PC is running extremly

Thanks! I will try that. Let me know if you hear anything back from
McAfee.

Kristaj

--
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=736181