How to get a ps3 connected with hdmi cables only

jdizzle83

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
i just brought home a ps3 and only have hdmi cables and no component cables, and the television is just blank. what can i do?

^+1

I didn't have to do anything special when I hooked my ps3 up to a 46" LCD Sony Bravia tv other than switch the input on the tv. I did go into the ps3's video settings just to make sure the auto mode selected everything properly, like 1080P and what not.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
The above should be correct, but on some TV's just plugging in and turning the TV to the correct input still gives you a black screen. Does it every time i go on vacation to visit family and use their TV, even though they are both the same brand (Samsung)

In that case i always had to reset the settings on the PS3:
Turn the PS# off
press and hold the start button for about 5-6 seconds until you hear the second set of beeps.
Then go into the display setting and make sure everything is set up correctly. If it is then you will see a picture on the TV (at first you should as it will reset your settings to something basic)

It must be an older tv (or different firmware revision) that isn't 100% compliant on the HDMI specs. The devices should go through a handshake sequence and report their capabilities. Some older tv's and devices only do this the first time you change the input or turn the device on. I.E. if you switch the tv's input back to cable/satellite then back to ps3 it won't go through the handshake sequence.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

Actually their TV is a few years newer than mine. I picked it out for them. Why it does it I am not sure, I just know it does. I do not have that issue between any of my TV's, even the older non-HD one. Just theirs. Figured it was at least worth trying just in case.