Can't run dos programs! PLEASE HELP! Need to update drivers!

When I try to run a DOS Program I get the following error, please assist!

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to Terminate the
application.

I have two options at this point... 'Close' and 'Ignore'... 'Ignore' does
nothing and 'Close'... well closes it.
2 answers Last reply
More about programs help update drivers

    Seems to be an epidemic lately....

    This can be caused by a trojan.

    Get rid of the trojan.

    Update your anti virus software and run a full system scan.

    Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32.
    And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

    Read-only
    [[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
    changed or accidentally deleted.]]

    1. Right click the file.
    2. Properties.
    3. Select: ? Read-only.
    4. Click: Apply.
    5. Click: OK.

    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

    MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:0B625567-9F14-49EE-9DB8-FC85AD20CD49@microsoft.com,
    Electroturd <Electroturd@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > When I try to run a DOS Program I get the following error, please
    > assist!
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
    > running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
    > Terminate the application.
    >
    > I have two options at this point... 'Close' and 'Ignore'... 'Ignore'
    > does nothing and 'Close'... well closes it.

    A good practice to adopt when using newsgroups is to read through several
    day's worth (at least) of posts to see if someone else has already asked the
    question you want to ask and received an answer. In fact, your question is
    asked a dozen times or more each week in these newsgroups.

    "Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Electroturd" <Electroturd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to run a DOS Program I get the following error, please assist!
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
    running
    > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to Terminate
    the
    > application.
    >
    > I have two options at this point... 'Close' and 'Ignore'... 'Ignore' does
    > nothing and 'Close'... well closes it.

DOS Drivers Microsoft Windows XP