MS Server 2003

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Server?!??!?! We don't do servers... :lol:

But seriously... I'm not sure - probably XP.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Windows 2000 covers workstation and server, or it should anyway since the group is called Win2000. This is the group to ask questions about 2003 until they get a dedicated forum for it. XP is a workstation OS. Very little similarities to any question you'd ask about server 2003.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"... XP Pro is the cheap version of 2003"

They were built on the same code base, so they should be similar, even though server lucks drivers.. big time, otherwise I would use it instead of w2k.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

riser

Illustrious
Get a job and buy a router ya slacker! :)

I have a nice Linksys 24 port.. hub. heh. I have a router, 2 linksys 5 port switches.. and other crap. I've given away 3 decent computers this year for free, plus I have two boxes full of computer equipment I've managed to acquire.. shrug.. haha

riser

Illustrious
He hasn't given me crap. When we bought our plant in NY we pulled out an old Linksys 24 port hub.. he was going to throw it away, I took it home.
We were going to throw away this old Canon 460 laser printer.. probably from back in 2000-2002 Era.. So I took that home.. actually, no USB on it, so it probably predates that.

My last job though.. everytime we did an upgrade, they'd give me stuff all the time because they didn't want to dispose of it. I got a couple switches, almost had a good cisco router/concentrator but it was decided to keep it for backup.
I probably pulled 5-8 computers from there.. a lot of extra spare parts from PCs we either auctioned to employees or tossed out.

I normally get parts when I do side jobs though. People will want to upgrade or buy a new computer and they don't want their old one, so I take a little off my asking price and have them toss their old equipment in for free. There are normally sub 1GHz computers, but they do good for testing and I can sell them to high school/college kids who don't really want computers but need one for work.

Another big thing is upgrading cisco equipment.. take the old and sell it on ebay. That'll turn a big profit quick.. if you can get your hands on it.. I haven't done this yet and I'm not really into doing that kind of stuff. I don't have my own business because I can never take money from people for doing stupid things.. heh.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
All my spare parts come from work, lol. Everytime we upgrade there are a buttload of leftovers to pick through. Granted most of it is old crap there are a few goodies here and there like switches, servers, and routers. Most of the servers are 550+mhz dual PIII xeon rackmounts and the switches/routers are cisco so I ain't complainin :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Cisco is the all mighty network god of the universe, lol. They are the leader in computer networking equipment and oh boy do you pay for it. Did you want that 24pt 10/100 switch? that will be $3500 please.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
HP is basically cheap cisco. My site uses lots of procurve switches. Cisco just has a few proprietary things in their software that are sometimes helpful like CMS.
You would be hard pressed to find a better firewall though. PIX firewalls are pretty damned good and now that they have PDM they are easy to setup too, lol.

riser

Illustrious
Cisco puts out a good line of Managed switches, routers/PIX firewalls, etc. They're one of the first leading WAN companies. They originally only made Routers, then they started buying up switch manufacturers to jump into that business.

You don't need cisco to run a company though. You can get a checkpoint firewall which is like working on a linksys router.. it's all webbased, you don't need to know syntax to make things work. That's why Checkpoint has become so popular. It's about as good as the cisco stuff though.

As far as VPN, I don't really know any other company to not use a Cisco VPN solution.

A managed switch is good.. but cisco has their own syntax for everything and requires someone to know cisco.. and fairly well to be able to do things. While other companies, mainly Checkpoint, are making GUI based network equipment so a company doesn't need a cisco person around.

Now, Cisco equipment is high end.. you get very skilled people, the equipment doesn't wear out or get too outdated.. it's good stuff without a doubt.

I figure, if you're going to hack a Cisco router, you're going to need to know the syntax.. on a checkpoint, you just need a password and then you're into the GUI.. Cisco just adds a layer of complexity.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You dont really need to know syntax on the latest PIX OS and IOS relases, you just need to have the right java version lol. PIX PDM is the pix firewalls GUI config, CMS is for switches, and SDM is for routers. The login is slightly different from a regular webconfig due to it using java but it is basically the same. The trick is having the right java version, not to old and not to new. The newest versions of PDM, CMS, and SDM might be more forgiving though.

riser

Illustrious
Yeah, but everyone I know in cisco avoids the java gui because apparently it doesn't give you all the flexibility that the command line gives you. You can do more with the command line than with the web client.

I've created vpn users on cisco over the java gui.. very basic, but if you create one via command line, you can do so much more to a user account. You can get by with java, but I'd rather know the syntax.

I was in St. Louis and had to do some configuration on one of our routers with our engineer walking me through it. No way to do the fix over the gui though, had to be command line.

I guess for me in my current position, maybe the gui would work, but if I wanted to put some cisco equipment in from scratch, I don't think it'd work out :)