channel in ad-hoc vs. infrastructure mode

Something goofy with my Linksys usb adapter, (wusb54gs). If I set to to
infrastructure, I can't change the channel. Ad-hoc lets me change channels?
Have latest driver, wazzup here?
Thanks
LT

"LT" <lorentheodore@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Something goofy with my Linksys usb adapter, (wusb54gs). If I set to
> to infrastructure, I can't change the channel. Ad-hoc lets me change
> channels? Have latest driver, wazzup here?
> Thanks
> LT

I don't know what's up as you should be able to change channels in any mode
at least on the B version I use. I don't see how that would be any
different on a G. May be uninstalling and reinstalling the driver may help.

Duane :)

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:48:55 -0800, "LT" <lorentheodore@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>So if I change my router to channel 11, the usb adapter will automatically
>find it?

In infrastructure mode, that's exactly how it works.

>What about if I use channels 12 or 13 with the hyperwrt firmware?

Well, in the USofA, we don't have channel 12 and 13. Those are legal
in some countries, but not other. Since you're posting from
comcast.net, it would be a fair assumption that you are in the USofA,
and therefore 12 and 13 are not legal or available. I doesn't matter
as your USofA USB adapter probably does not know about 12 and 13, and
therefore will not "find" the hacked access point. It's also a waste
of time if you're trying to find an interference free area. Channel
13 is 10Mhz above channel 11, but the 802.11b/g signal is 25Mhz wide.
Therefore, you'll still get some interference from Channel 11 users.

Before you interfere with another service, methinks you should also
know whom you're trashing so that when they bang on your door, you
have an advanced clue as to why they are irate. See:
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/spectrum/table/fcctable.pdf
See page 53. 2483.5-2500MHz is allocated to several "radio
determination" and mobile space to earth satellite services.
Currently, this is in use by internationally by Globalstar for GMPCS
satellite CDMA phone service. So, when your neighbors complain that
their overpriced satellite phone doesn't work in the area around your
house, you'll understand why you're being hauled off as principal
guest at a bonfire barbeque.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558