Super Upgraded StarCraft AI Still Beat by Humans

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

remind me of the battles between a grandmaster of chess and an IBM supercomputer

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
thats why they are not exactly perfect AI.
I hope that they don't become that intelligent, than some day we may find our self in one of those terminator/Matrix movies like world.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
[citation][nom]sudeshc[/nom]thats why they are not exactly perfect AI. I hope that they don't become that intelligent, than some day we may find our self in one of those terminator/Matrix movies like world.[/citation]

I just watched this last night... if they become self aware and we try to pull the plug, the worst this system can do now is release the Zerg on unsuspecting SCII players online...

samdsox

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
DAmn't sudesch stole my terminator reference lol. I was gona say maybe we can actually beat the termintors when they try to take over the world lol. Just send in some starcraft gamers.

G

AI should be able to beat humans, if written correctly and efficiently.
AI has the advantage of processing speed, and almost zero delay between actions.

It's obvious that the guys who wrote the AI don't really know how StarCraft is played.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]cronik93[/nom]Well yeah, AI become pretty predictable in almost every game the more you play it.[/citation]
there's a number of AI systems that make sure that they do something slightly different each time. A bot in itself realizes, "I lost using this tactic, so follow tactic #2."

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Of course, because their selling these to people to be used online?
*** off if you're going to post ass-hat comments, it's worse then trolling.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]stifle[/nom]They will always be predictable because they are programmed[/citation]
Any competitive e-sports game I've ever seen is just as predictable as AIs, sometimes more so. You could probably macro fights at the top tier because the 'winning tactics' are incredibly limited and repetitive. It really only comes down to reflexes.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]youssef 2010[/nom]AI's can never be perfect,as they're programmed by humans.So,Other humans will always be able to beat it[/citation]

That's bull****, remember Deep Blue? AIs have far better clickspeeds and reaction times than humans, on that alone they should be able to best the world champion if they execute a perfect rush. The problem is AIs still lack human tactical intuition so they sometimes make dumb mistakes by not exploiting an undefended backdoor into a base or attacking a line of siege tanks from the front instead of the side.

f4phantom2500

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
[citation][nom]youssef 2010[/nom]AI's can never be perfect,as they're programmed by humans.So,Other humans will always be able to beat it[/citation]

The flaw in your logic is that, once an artificial intelligence is as sophisticated as human intelligence and the computer that it is running on is more powerful than a human brain, it will be able to create artificial intelligences that are more sophisticated than human intelligence.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Normally, AI's in games like SC2 are programmed to build up their base and stay in a near perfect defensive state, or becoming aggresive at all times and sending rushes with a general increase of units and upgrades for them. If an AI worked like Deep Blue, then it would be increasingly impossible to win, as the AI would read the units outside of their natural FOV(which an AI is not supposedly able to read) and allow themselves to make a perfect counter attack.

The flaw in your logic is that, once an artificial intelligence is as sophisticated as human intelligence and the computer that it is running on is more powerful than a human brain, it will be able to create artificial intelligences that are more sophisticated than human intelligence.
The flaw in YOUR logic is that artificial intelligence will be as sophisticated as the human intelligence.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]f4phantom2500[/nom]The flaw in your logic is that, once an artificial intelligence is as sophisticated as human intelligence and the computer that it is running on is more powerful than a human brain, it will be able to create artificial intelligences that are more sophisticated than human intelligence.[/citation]

Human consciousness is small, but the processing required to create consciousness is vast. When we get to a point where we can actually create a machine more powerful then the human mind, we will probably have also had the technology to create a more powerful mind long before that point.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Just wait when someone creates an AI that reads data from everything online and filters it out to understand each thing. We'll get a psyciopathic AI that's smarter then humans.
In the sense that you stated, a high end AI built and programmed by one of the greatest minds in history at the time, wouldn't be able to outsmart an infant because the human mind is stronger then anything computer hardware can manage, even if the child is young and doesn't know how to read.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

I would be damn impressed if Starcraft's AI was that much better then Starcraft's 2 AI.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]coody[/nom]remind me of the battles between a grandmaster of chess and an IBM supercomputer[/citation]
I don't wanna be a douche, I just want to complement on your comment. You're talking about Garry Kasparov and Deep Blue in 1996 where the former won 4-2. You may be surprised to learn that they made a rematch the following year where Deep Blue won 3½ to 2½.

I'm still amazed of the progress we make in AI. I have to admit it scares me a bit (damn you Skynet), but I still want the progress to go on!

Status
Not open for further replies.