Question needing an answer...

G

I know this is an off-topic post, but this is a more popular category, so I'm hoping for the best.
I'm looking to "build" a Notebook/Laptop from scratch. #1, is this possible? #2, are there any sites out there that will head me in the right direction with parts and prices and the like?
Thanks,
-DeaDb0Lt

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Sorry for my probably outdated opinion based on what I learned some time ago about few brands of laptops I got training on by implementing customer service and passing the certification on completion in a computer depot. As computer system trainees there, we were provided with video, manuals, training materials on all aspects of installation, troubleshooting and service for every particular model of laptop to study before doing something on them. The accent was made on differences. There were always important differences in the procedures of opening the cases, disassembly/assembly between different series of portable computers. At least between different series of Pentium-based laptops from IBM, I know. The same was for Texas Instruments (Acer), and Toshiba. In order to pass a test on a certificate of completion you had to remember the number of screws of different length in a particular model, but I think in order to make a laptop workable it’s just enough to understand why those differences are.
The parts: you had to order them by serial number for a particular model from the manufacturer. It was very common that the basic hardware interchangeability between similar models was very limited, just harddrives, memory, but not always something slightly different would fit. Be careful. No aftermarket at all.
Probably the situation is different now. Theoretically, I think it were possible to assemble a laptop if you possessed all the parts ordered from the manufacturer, and had a good tutorial, a video from them would be better. But what about paying much more for the parts ordered separately?
The best sites for prices are laptop manufacturers' sites, I think. As for the directions, call to their training centers, they have everything, even the list of all the parts for a particular model in their training material, what I saw. The manufacturers provided the computer depot with engineering samples and we, students, were happy and proud being allowed to take them to our school to make a presentation, or even to take home to test and study more and prepare a report. That's why I think the manufacturer is the best place to go.