Norton's Ghost

Can a program like Norton's Ghost backup a whole drive and restore same
without reloading all programs? Thanks in advance.

--
Lavert Bryant
Powder Springs GA

This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam X-terminator
from StompSoft http://www.stompsoft.com
6 answers Last reply
More about norton ghost

    Yes.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Can a program like Norton's Ghost backup a whole drive and restore same
    > without reloading all programs? Thanks in advance.
    >

    > --
    > Lavert Bryant
    > Powder Springs GA

    > This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam X-terminator
    > from StompSoft http://www.stompsoft.com

    GHOST and similar programs make a file, called an image, of everything on
    either (1) a whole hard drive, or, (2) a single partition on the hard drive.
    In general the partition image is more useful than the full disk image,
    because the partition image does not save a copy of the free space, nor
    certain files that windows will re-create automatically, like pagefile.sys.

    Most backup programs that make such images can write them to another hard
    drive, internal or external (USB, frewire, or network), CDs, maybe DVDs,
    probably tape.

    Many have the ability to recover a single file or a directory tree, as well
    as the whole partition or drive. Many have the ability to make the image in
    convenient sized pieces for possible later copying to CD or DVD. While the
    safest backup is probably to write-once optical media, it is also the
    slowest. Thus, I regularly backup to an external hard drive (USB 2.0), but
    only occassionally copy an image from there to a DVD.

    One caution: Be sure that the backup program has a way to recover the boot
    partition, the one with the operatingg system. Some cheaper/free programs
    can recover things only if window is working OK, which is not all that
    useful. A program like GHOST has an option to make bootable floppies or a
    bootable CD to handle the case of restoring the partition with the operating
    system.

    Such programs can also be used to copy a disk to a large disk. But, if the
    disk is of a sufficiently different type (e.g., ATA/100 vs SATA/150), a
    "repair" installation of XP will also be required.

    I have used GHOST up through version 2002 with excellent results on win98
    and XP. The newer GHOST 9, which is really based on a program called Drive
    Image, sounds even better, but I have not tried it. I have also had
    excellent results with Acronis True Image, up through version 8 (latest). I
    find True Image friendlier than GHOST for a home user. However, GHOST has
    dozens of addiitonal bell & whistles.

    "Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Can a program like Norton's Ghost backup a whole drive and restore same
    > without reloading all programs? Thanks in advance.
    >

    > --
    > Lavert Bryant
    > Powder Springs GA

    > This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam X-terminator
    > from StompSoft http://www.stompsoft.com

    Bob:

    Thanks for your reply. You presented the kind of info I wanted to know.
    Thanks again.

    --

    "Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

    > a "repair" installation of XP will also be required.
    >
    > I have used GHOST up through version 2002 with excellent results on win98
    > and XP. The newer GHOST 9, which is really based on a program called
    > Drive Image, sounds even better, but I have not tried it. I have also had
    > excellent results with Acronis True Image, up through version 8 (latest).
    > I find True Image friendlier than GHOST for a home user. However, GHOST
    > has dozens of addiitonal bell & whistles.
    >
    > "Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> Can a program like Norton's Ghost backup a whole drive and restore same
    >> without reloading all programs? Thanks in advance.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Lavert Bryant
    >> Powder Springs GA
    >>
    >> --
    >> This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam X-terminator

    Bob,
    PMFJI, I have just purchased an Iomega 160 Gig USB External HD. The
    software include an Iomega backup program and Norton Ghost 2003. Running
    both seem somewhat redundant. To date, I have run Ghost once and have the
    Iomega backing up "Documents and Settings" every night. Is running just
    Ghost sufficient protection? How often would you recommend running Ghost?
    I guess my questions are more philosophical than technical. TIA

    Richard Thiess
    Norcross, GA

    "Richard E. Thiess" <rthiess@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> [...]
    >>> Can a program like Norton's Ghost backup a whole drive and restore same
    >>> without reloading all programs? Thanks in advance.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Lavert Bryant
    >>> Powder Springs GA
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam X-terminator
    >>> from StompSoft http://www.stompsoft.com
    >>>

    > Bob,
    > PMFJI, I have just purchased an Iomega 160 Gig USB External HD. The
    > software include an Iomega backup program and Norton Ghost 2003. Running
    > both seem somewhat redundant. To date, I have run Ghost once and have the
    > Iomega backing up "Documents and Settings" every night. Is running just
    > Ghost sufficient protection? How often would you recommend running Ghost?
    > I guess my questions are more philosophical than technical. TIA

    Bob:

    Thanks for your reply. It was a great bit of info that I can use. I am
    using Ghost 9 right now. The original serial number that came with my
    purchase from Office Max did not work. Had to call Symantec for a new one.
    To my surprise, I got good help in less than 30 minutes. I hope that I am
    not out of line, but I have a question about a clean install of Windows
    XPSP2 Home Edition. Can I do this without SP2 being slipstreamed to the OEM
    copy of XP? I have a separate CD with SP2 on it. Thanks.

    --

Norton Microsoft Windows XP