Norton's Ghost

Can a program like Norton's Ghost backup a whole drive and restore same
without reloading all programs? Thanks in advance.

--
Lavert Bryant
Powder Springs GA

This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam X-terminator
from StompSoft http://www.stompsoft.com

Yes.

Ted Zieglar

"Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Can a program like Norton's Ghost backup a whole drive and restore same
> without reloading all programs? Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> Lavert Bryant
> Powder Springs GA

> This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam X-terminator
> from StompSoft http://www.stompsoft.com

GHOST and similar programs make a file, called an image, of everything on
either (1) a whole hard drive, or, (2) a single partition on the hard drive.
In general the partition image is more useful than the full disk image,
because the partition image does not save a copy of the free space, nor
certain files that windows will re-create automatically, like pagefile.sys.

Most backup programs that make such images can write them to another hard
drive, internal or external (USB, frewire, or network), CDs, maybe DVDs,
probably tape.

Many have the ability to recover a single file or a directory tree, as well
as the whole partition or drive. Many have the ability to make the image in
convenient sized pieces for possible later copying to CD or DVD. While the
safest backup is probably to write-once optical media, it is also the
slowest. Thus, I regularly backup to an external hard drive (USB 2.0), but
only occassionally copy an image from there to a DVD.

One caution: Be sure that the backup program has a way to recover the boot
partition, the one with the operatingg system. Some cheaper/free programs
can recover things only if window is working OK, which is not all that
useful. A program like GHOST has an option to make bootable floppies or a
bootable CD to handle the case of restoring the partition with the operating
system.

Such programs can also be used to copy a disk to a large disk. But, if the
disk is of a sufficiently different type (e.g., ATA/100 vs SATA/150), a
"repair" installation of XP will also be required.

I have used GHOST up through version 2002 with excellent results on win98
and XP. The newer GHOST 9, which is really based on a program called Drive
Image, sounds even better, but I have not tried it. I have also had
excellent results with Acronis True Image, up through version 8 (latest). I
find True Image friendlier than GHOST for a home user. However, GHOST has
dozens of addiitonal bell & whistles.

"Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Can a program like Norton's Ghost backup a whole drive and restore same
> without reloading all programs? Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> Lavert Bryant
> Powder Springs GA

> This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam X-terminator
> from StompSoft http://www.stompsoft.com

Bob:

Thanks for your reply. You presented the kind of info I wanted to know.
Thanks again.

--

"Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> a "repair" installation of XP will also be required.
>
> I have used GHOST up through version 2002 with excellent results on win98
> and XP. The newer GHOST 9, which is really based on a program called
> Drive Image, sounds even better, but I have not tried it. I have also had
> excellent results with Acronis True Image, up through version 8 (latest).
> I find True Image friendlier than GHOST for a home user. However, GHOST
> has dozens of addiitonal bell & whistles.
>
> "Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Can a program like Norton's Ghost backup a whole drive and restore same
>> without reloading all programs? Thanks in advance.
>>

>> --
>> Lavert Bryant
>> Powder Springs GA
>>
>> --
>> This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam X-terminator

Bob,
PMFJI, I have just purchased an Iomega 160 Gig USB External HD. The
software include an Iomega backup program and Norton Ghost 2003. Running
both seem somewhat redundant. To date, I have run Ghost once and have the
Iomega backing up "Documents and Settings" every night. Is running just
Ghost sufficient protection? How often would you recommend running Ghost?
I guess my questions are more philosophical than technical. TIA

Richard Thiess
Norcross, GA

"Richard E. Thiess" <rthiess@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> [...]
>>> Can a program like Norton's Ghost backup a whole drive and restore same
>>> without reloading all programs? Thanks in advance.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Lavert Bryant
>>> Powder Springs GA
>>>
>>> --
>>> This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam X-terminator
>>> from StompSoft http://www.stompsoft.com
>>>

> Bob,
> PMFJI, I have just purchased an Iomega 160 Gig USB External HD. The
> software include an Iomega backup program and Norton Ghost 2003. Running
> both seem somewhat redundant. To date, I have run Ghost once and have the
> Iomega backing up "Documents and Settings" every night. Is running just
> Ghost sufficient protection? How often would you recommend running Ghost?
> I guess my questions are more philosophical than technical. TIA

Bob:

Thanks for your reply. It was a great bit of info that I can use. I am
using Ghost 9 right now. The original serial number that came with my
purchase from Office Max did not work. Had to call Symantec for a new one.
To my surprise, I got good help in less than 30 minutes. I hope that I am
not out of line, but I have a question about a clean install of Windows
XPSP2 Home Edition. Can I do this without SP2 being slipstreamed to the OEM
copy of XP? I have a separate CD with SP2 on it. Thanks.