Epox KP6-BS Only Detects One CPU

G

I just picked up an Epox KP6-BS mobo and it is only detecting one CPU.

The bootup screen says 'PENTIUM III 550Mhz (5.5x100), 1 CPU(S)'. The 2 CPUs have identical steppings (from memory wcpuid said family 6, model 7, stepping 3 -- i might have muddled family & model).

The Bios is a 2mb bios date 9/16/2000 (the most recent) although I have also tried 2 other older versions.

I have:
* reset the bios data. Played with lots of options.
* tried both sets of BIOS defaults.
* swapped the CPUs between the 2 slots (mobo doesn't reach POST with 1 CPU installed)
* tried with nothing installed except an S3 PCI card
* tried with nothing installed except an Diamond V770 TNT2 AGP card.
* tried with floppy.
* tried with floppy + HD.
* tried with floppy + HD + CDROM.

I can find no jumpers or BIOS settings relating to single/dual CPU operation.

Naturally Win2k + wcpuid are only finding 1 CPU.

Basically I'm completely stumped!

Any help appreciated.

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Well, I really can't tell you whats wrong but you should either contact Epox somehow and ask them, and of course the OS won't detect the dual cpu's unless the bios does, and are you sure its the most recent bios?! and if all else fails, return it for a Tyan motherboard, always great for dual systems

G

I've played around a bit more and I'm fast coming to the conclusion that the Primary CPU slot is just a bit of decoration. While trying a PIII550 + P2 400 combo (hey, why not? :) I realised it was the Secondary CPU slot doing all the work.

So, SNAFU, as they say. I'll go chat to my friendly retailer...

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
> "...While trying a PIII550 + P2 400 combo (hey, why not? .."

Probably I'm missing something. Looks like you named and noted everything you tried, but I can't find in your post whether you've tried to install just two absolutely identical CPUs? Not just from the same stepping, but from the same shipment, I mean with close serial numbers (when you buy both of them say from the same retailer, store/shop, the same shelf).

G

The two CPUs are PIII 550/512/100/2.0V S1

S/N 1: 10060491-0207
S/N 2: 10060491-0007

S thingy: SL3FJ

According to Intel's doco, this CPU has no known issues when dual processing.

I've got an RMA so if I don't work it out by the weekend I'll post it back to my supplier and try another one.

G

True, but the ones in question have been validated according to Intel's PIII Specification Update document...

G

Mystery solved. Primary CPU slot was in fact a handy spare CPU holder (the mobo was toast).

New one arrived today, so I'll fire that up shortly.