Can't Use Repair Windows XP after installing SP@

I want to run the Repair Windows XP (Home Edition), but since I installed
SP2, I can't.

Someone suggested reinstalling the Home Edition by rebooting from the CD,
but I can't do that. I've changed my bios setting so that my computer boots
from the CDROM, but it continues to reboot from the C drive. I also tried
changing the setting to reboot from D, but it still reboots from the C drive.

Any idea how I can use the Repair Windows XP with SP2 installed?

Thanks.

Chuck
8 answers Last reply
More about repair windows installing

    Once you upgraded to SP2 you lost the ability to do a repair install using
    the original XP CD.

    You will have to make a new CD that includes the original CD and the SP2
    download - it is called Slipstreaming. Do a Google search on Slipstreaming
    and you will find instructions on how to do it.

    "Chuck in Tucson" <Chuck in Tucson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:8DFFC31F-1310-4DB6-929E-43593547C447@microsoft.com...
    >I want to run the Repair Windows XP (Home Edition), but since I installed
    > SP2, I can't.
    >
    > Someone suggested reinstalling the Home Edition by rebooting from the CD,
    > but I can't do that. I've changed my bios setting so that my computer
    > boots
    > from the CDROM, but it continues to reboot from the C drive. I also tried
    > changing the setting to reboot from D, but it still reboots from the C
    > drive.
    >
    > Any idea how I can use the Repair Windows XP with SP2 installed?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Chuck

    Watch for the prompt at POST to boot from the CD-Rom.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Chuck in Tucson" wrote:
    |I want to run the Repair Windows XP (Home Edition), but since I installed
    | SP2, I can't.
    |
    | Someone suggested reinstalling the Home Edition by rebooting from the CD,
    | but I can't do that. I've changed my bios setting so that my computer
    boots
    | from the CDROM, but it continues to reboot from the C drive. I also tried
    | changing the setting to reboot from D, but it still reboots from the C
    drive.

    | Any idea how I can use the Repair Windows XP with SP2 installed?
    |
    | Thanks.
    |
    | Chuck

    What is POST? Two people have mentioned it, but I don't know what it is.

    Sorry for my ignorance on this.

    Chuck

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Watch for the prompt at POST to boot from the CD-Rom.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Chuck in Tucson" wrote:
    > |I want to run the Repair Windows XP (Home Edition), but since I installed
    > | SP2, I can't.
    > |
    > | Someone suggested reinstalling the Home Edition by rebooting from the CD,
    > | but I can't do that. I've changed my bios setting so that my computer
    > boots
    > | from the CDROM, but it continues to reboot from the C drive. I also tried
    > | changing the setting to reboot from D, but it still reboots from the C
    > drive.
    > |
    > | Any idea how I can use the Repair Windows XP with SP2 installed?
    > |
    > | Thanks.
    > |
    > | Chuck

    power on self test

    --

    "Chuck Tucson" wrote:
    | What is POST? Two people have mentioned it, but I don't know what it is.
    |
    | Sorry for my ignorance on this.
    |
    | Chuck

    Chuck,

    Repairing XP installation with a base XP CD (with SP2 installed) may cause problems, as seen in the newsgroup. Create a slipstreamed XP CD with SP2 and the proceed to repair XP. Information on integrating SP2 with XP and creating a bootable CD:

    Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD - Windows-Help.NET:
    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

    Neowin.net -> AutoStreamer Released! (v 1.0.29):
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337&st=0&#entry2453585

    As for the boot issue, do you see the "insert CD" or similar message after POST is complete? Is the CD drive working properly?

    Alternately, follow method 1 - Inplace Upgrade:

    How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Chuck in Tucson" <Chuck in Tucson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8DFFC31F-1310-4DB6-929E-43593547C447@microsoft.com...
    I want to run the Repair Windows XP (Home Edition), but since I installed
    SP2, I can't.

    Someone suggested reinstalling the Home Edition by rebooting from the CD,
    but I can't do that. I've changed my bios setting so that my computer boots
    from the CDROM, but it continues to reboot from the C drive. I also tried
    changing the setting to reboot from D, but it still reboots from the C drive.

    Any idea how I can use the Repair Windows XP with SP2 installed?

    Thanks.

    Chuck

    On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:22:37 +0530, "Ramesh [MVP]"

    >Repairing XP installation with a base XP CD (with SP2 installed) may
    >cause problems, as seen in the newsgroup. Create a slipstreamed XP CD
    >with SP2 and the proceed to repair XP.

    IMO, if an SP breaks the installation CD (repair install, RC) then it
    should include a utility to create a new (slipstreamed) CDR.

    Users shouldn't find out they have been robbed of these abilities only
    when some crisis arises that needs them - as under such circumstances,
    they are unlikely to be able to access the 'net, download stuff, or
    create a good slipstreamed CD from an installation that has gone bad.

    >--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -
    I'm baaaack!
    >--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

    Chuck,

    See Dennis' site:

    BIOS Power-On Self Test (POST):
    http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_poweron_self_test_post.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Watch for the prompt at POST to boot from the CD-Rom.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Chuck in Tucson" wrote:
    > |I want to run the Repair Windows XP (Home Edition), but since I installed
    > | SP2, I can't.
    > |
    > | Someone suggested reinstalling the Home Edition by rebooting from the CD,
    > | but I can't do that. I've changed my bios setting so that my computer
    > boots
    > | from the CDROM, but it continues to reboot from the C drive. I also tried
    > | changing the setting to reboot from D, but it still reboots from the C
    > drive.
    > |
    > | Any idea how I can use the Repair Windows XP with SP2 installed?
    > |
    > | Thanks.
    > |
    > | Chuck

    A few cases where repairing XP (SP2) on top, with a base CD caused problems. One such problem being the [HKLM\System....\Services] entries (pertaining to SP2) were not removed completely. But, honestly, I've not tested a repair here.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "cquirke (MVP Win9x)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in message news:mnq6r09v0ih6i1k0sl7iqfgdghdlnej2sc@4ax.com...
    On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:22:37 +0530, "Ramesh [MVP]"

    >Repairing XP installation with a base XP CD (with SP2 installed) may
    >cause problems, as seen in the newsgroup. Create a slipstreamed XP CD
    >with SP2 and the proceed to repair XP.

    IMO, if an SP breaks the installation CD (repair install, RC) then it
    should include a utility to create a new (slipstreamed) CDR.

    Users shouldn't find out they have been robbed of these abilities only
    when some crisis arises that needs them - as under such circumstances,
    they are unlikely to be able to access the 'net, download stuff, or
    create a good slipstreamed CD from an installation that has gone bad.

    I'm baaaack!

Windows XP Microsoft