Druid kite, Dire Charm and maybe other stuff

A few questions please to answer

1. Has any druid yet quad kited any where safely (relatively speaking) in an
OOW zone?

2. AA points. Im assuming that Dire charm is an AA? if so, should I aim to
purchase that skill ASAP?

3. Does the druid AA dire Charm only work on animals?

4. Just realised, maybe druids dont get dire charm?

5. If they do, does Dire Charm for druids work same way as ench, in that the
charm never breaks? Or if it does break, what stat helps it not break?

6. Finally Im 64 and have 12 AA, unspent. If not spent on Dire Charm, what
would be best early use of these.

Many questions I know, but always appreciate answers and help.

Thanks
12 answers Last reply
More about druid kite dire charm stuff

    "STORRIDGE" <everhard@ntlworld.comNOspam> wrote in message
    >A few questions please to answer
    >
    > 1. Has any druid yet quad kited any where safely (relatively speaking) in
    > an OOW zone?
    >
    > 2. AA points. Im assuming that Dire charm is an AA? if so, should I aim to
    > purchase that skill ASAP?
    >
    > 3. Does the druid AA dire Charm only work on animals?
    >
    > 4. Just realised, maybe druids dont get dire charm?
    >
    > 5. If they do, does Dire Charm for druids work same way as ench, in that
    > the charm never breaks? Or if it does break, what stat helps it not
    > break?
    >
    > 6. Finally Im 64 and have 12 AA, unspent. If not spent on Dire Charm, what
    > would be best early use of these.
    >
    > Many questions I know, but always appreciate answers and help.
    >
    > Thanks

    1. Most mobs (maybe all) can summon, so i never tried.

    2. I bought it for 9 aa's and to be honest its one of the more useless AA's
    we have, for the cost, the fact it only works on animals (that must be a
    considerable level lower than you), i would consider it a waste. Theres
    definetely more important ones you can use, also although im not sure i dont
    think you can use it at all in omens zones. I think i used it once or twice
    :(

    3. Yes only on animals, and animals of a lower level, for instance in PoN
    you cannot charm bloodravens with it, and they were blue to me at 51/52/53?

    4. Aye we do, just most druids dont bother with it

    5. Correct it works the same, you just cant zone with the pet.

    6. Totally depends on how you play solo/group/raid, for raiding SOTW3 (or
    whatever the omens upgrade) RC, MGB are all nice to have, for solo or
    grouping i would go with exodus (instant evac) and SCM (if thats the one
    that lowers your mana per cast)

    In <qrZtd.23006$jf.20096@fe75.usenetserver.com> "Toytown" <teh-billy@microsoft.com> writes:

    > > 5. If they do, does Dire Charm for druids work same way as ench, in that
    > > the charm never breaks? Or if it does break, what stat helps it not
    > > break?

    > 5. Correct it works the same, you just cant zone with the pet.

    I play an Enchanter, and there was one time where Dire Charm wore off.
    Still don't know how it happened, but I suspect a nearby mob procced
    an AoE dispell.

    --
    John Gordon "Between BST melee, their spells, their warders' melee,
    gordon@panix.com and their warders' procs, they put out enough damage

    John Gordon wrote:
    > In <qrZtd.23006$jf.20096@fe75.usenetserver.com> "Toytown" <teh-billy@microsoft.com> writes:
    >

    >>>5. If they do, does Dire Charm for druids work same way as ench, in that
    >>>the charm never breaks? Or if it does break, what stat helps it not
    >>>break?
    >

    >>5. Correct it works the same, you just cant zone with the pet.
    >

    > I play an Enchanter, and there was one time where Dire Charm wore off.
    > Still don't know how it happened, but I suspect a nearby mob procced
    > an AoE dispell.

    Dire charm can (could?) also wear off after an extended period, but
    it's like 14 hours or something.

    Apparently there is (was?) no 'unlimited' in EQ, only 'Longer than
    anyone should be using one effect'.

    I had my mage pet poof once when I had been farming greens for stuff,
    went over in a corner of the zone and went to bed, came back and started
    farming. (I don't remember why I didn't log out... I had a good reason
    though.) When I posted on a message board the community guy actually
    checked and told us that there is (was?) a time limit, it's just very
    very long, like 14 hours, on permenant effects.

    Tyas <tyas_mt@hotplonkmail.commies> wrote in
    > I had my mage pet poof once when I had been farming greens for stuff,
    > went over in a corner of the zone and went to bed, came back and
    > started farming. (I don't remember why I didn't log out... I had a
    > good reason though.) When I posted on a message board the community
    > guy actually checked and told us that there is (was?) a time limit,
    > it's just very very long, like 14 hours, on permenant effects.

    Probably the same time limit as a mount, I am thinking 7ish hours, but not
    sure off hand.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Bane of Evil>
    Graeme, 17 Dwarven Shaman, 14 Scholar

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:06:07 GMT in
    <jZYtd.535$Th2.200@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, "STORRIDGE"
    <everhard@ntlworld.comNOspam> graced the world with this thought:

    >2. AA points. Im assuming that Dire charm is an AA? if so, should I aim to
    >purchase that skill ASAP?

    Don't bother

    >3. Does the druid AA dire Charm only work on animals?

    Yes, and only in the zone you charmed them in.

    STORRIDGE <everhard@ntlworld.comNOspam> wrote:
    >1. Has any druid yet quad kited any where safely (relatively speaking) in an
    >OOW zone?

    Many things summon, so you're probably better off elsewhere for kiting.

    >2. AA points. Im assuming that Dire charm is an AA? if so, should I aim to
    >purchase that skill ASAP?

    Dire charm is an AA, but there's no great need for it. It has not been a
    powerful ability for a long time, since it only works for level 46 or below
    mobs.

    >3. Does the druid AA dire Charm only work on animals?
    >4. Just realised, maybe druids dont get dire charm?

    Yes they do, and yes it does. Wait, strike that. Reverse it.

    >5. If they do, does Dire Charm for druids work same way as ench, in that the
    >charm never breaks? Or if it does break, what stat helps it not break?

    It never breaks early on it's own. It expires after MANY hours, and it can be
    dispelled. And if you go invisible or zone, it breaks.

    >6. Finally Im 64 and have 12 AA, unspent. If not spent on Dire Charm, what
    >would be best early use of these.

    I'm not sure what's best for druids as far as AA progression, but I know
    that DC is pretty low value. There's no real reason to get it EVER, unless it
    would be a fun toy for you when you have dozens of spare points you don't
    know what to do with.

    Even for enchanters, who are not limited to animals (but are still limited to
    trash mobs below level 47), this is not an A-list or even B-list ability.
    --
    Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:48:06 GMT in
    <W1gud.311$Sr1.282@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>, "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com>
    graced the world with this thought:

    >"bizbee" <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> >3. Does the druid AA dire Charm only work on animals?
    >>
    >> Yes, and only in the zone you charmed them in.
    >
    >Which is true for any charmed mob, of course. Would be too way overpowered
    >(charm, that is, not druid dire charm in particular) if you could change
    >zones with charmed mobs.

    I'm not too sure about your logic on that comment. How could it
    possibly be too powerful?

    >Charmed mobs zoning will never happen, and for very good reason.

    and that reason is....?

    bizbee wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:48:06 GMT in
    >>Which is true for any charmed mob, of course. Would be too way overpowered
    >>(charm, that is, not druid dire charm in particular) if you could change
    >>zones with charmed mobs.
    >>

    > I'm not too sure about your logic on that comment. How could it
    > possibly be too powerful?
    Drag some underconned charmable mob to a lower level zone to farm,
    things like that. I don't see what the big deal is there though.. I can
    summon a level 55 pet in a 1-10 zone just fine...
    >>Charmed mobs zoning will never happen, and for very good reason.
    >>

    > and that reason is....?

    You would have to have all charmable mobs in the global model file,
    making it huge beyond reason, or alternatly, lower the number of
    different mob base models fairly heavily. A final option would be change
    the way EQ loads models from statically to dynamically. Then you get the
    SWG 'new model, let me load it, sec...<brrr>' effect.

    That may not be his reason, but that is what springs to my mind

    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:48:06 GMT in
    > <W1gud.311$Sr1.282@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>, "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com>
    > graced the world with this thought:
    >

    >>"bizbee" <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, and only in the zone you charmed them in.
    >>
    >>Which is true for any charmed mob, of course. Would be too way
    >>overpowered (charm, that is, not druid dire charm in particular) if
    >>you could change zones with charmed mobs.
    >>
    > I'm not too sure about your logic on that comment. How could it
    > possibly be too powerful?
    >
    >>Charmed mobs zoning will never happen, and for very good reason.
    >>
    > and that reason is....?

    A couple reasons come to mind.

    1. It could easilly lead to griefing. High level person charms high
    level mob, buffs it up, zones over to a newbie zone, releases pet, the
    slaughter commences.

    1. It could be abused to grab an overpowered pet from some zone then use
    that pet to trivialize content in a zone where no such charm pet is
    available.

    --

    Graeme Faelban wrote:
    > bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in
    >

    >>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:48:06 GMT in
    >><W1gud.311$Sr1.282@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>, "Lief" <ask.me.for@it.com>
    >>graced the world with this thought:
    >>

    >>>"bizbee" <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    >>>Which is true for any charmed mob, of course. Would be too way
    >>>overpowered (charm, that is, not druid dire charm in particular) if
    >>>you could change zones with charmed mobs.
    >>>

    >>I'm not too sure about your logic on that comment. How could it
    >>possibly be too powerful?
    >>

    >>>Charmed mobs zoning will never happen, and for very good reason.
    >>>

    >>and that reason is....?
    >>

    > A couple reasons come to mind.
    >
    > 1. It could easilly lead to griefing. High level person charms high
    > level mob, buffs it up, zones over to a newbie zone, releases pet, the
    > slaughter commences.

    Its pretty easy to charm a newbie zone mob, buff and gear it up, and let
    it go, there's no real need to import mobs from other zones just to tear
    up newbies. Preventing the former would be simple enough, just have all
    buffs drop within a minute of charm break if mob isn't recharmed, have
    all items vanish same way. Since they don't seem interested in solving
    the griefing potential inherant in normal charming, I doubt preventing
    griefing is a big part of whats stopping them from allowing charmed pets
    to zone.

    > 1. It could be abused to grab an overpowered pet from some zone then use
    > that pet to trivialize content in a zone where no such charm pet is
    > available.

    But if you can charm a mob, then is it really overpowering compared to
    your other capabilities? The druid's summoned pet can trivialize plenty
    of farming locations (for spiderling silks and the like), but noone
    complains about that.

    In article <BuGdnZUDrKnytSfcRVn-tA@vallnet.com>,
    tyas_mt@hotplonkmail.commies says...
    > bizbee wrote:
    > > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:48:06 GMT in
    > >>Which is true for any charmed mob, of course. Would be too way overpowered
    > >>(charm, that is, not druid dire charm in particular) if you could change
    > >>zones with charmed mobs.
    > >>

    > > I'm not too sure about your logic on that comment. How could it
    > > possibly be too powerful?

    It used to be more true than it is now. At one point a DC pet was
    considerably better than an a summoned pet. Now that is less the case.

    However, even today, the argument holds for -charmed- mobs. Several
    current charmable mobs could likely solo older raid content.

    > Drag some underconned charmable mob to a lower level zone to farm,
    > things like that. I don't see what the big deal is there though.. I can
    > summon a level 55 pet in a 1-10 zone just fine...
    > >>Charmed mobs zoning will never happen, and for very good reason.
    > >>

    > > and that reason is....?
    >
    > You would have to have all charmable mobs in the global model file,
    > making it huge beyond reason, or alternatly, lower the number of
    > different mob base models fairly heavily. A final option would be change
    > the way EQ loads models from statically to dynamically. Then you get the
    > SWG 'new model, let me load it, sec...<brrr>' effect.

    Or have the model switch to a random model in the destination sone, just
    as summon monster does for Mages when they zone.

    > That may not be his reason, but that is what springs to my mind

    The reality is at this stage in the game, especially with the new level
    cap at 70, new pets, DC still capped 46, *and* the new charmed mob
    damage nerf - there is not really a good game balance reason to prevent
    DC pets from zoning.

    The technical problems could be overcome, but really, why bother?

    Tyas wrote:

    > Drag some underconned charmable mob to a lower level zone to farm,
    > things like that. I don't see what the big deal is there though.. I
    > can summon a level 55 pet in a 1-10 zone just fine...

    Yes, and that summoned pet goes with you. Of course a
    nice charmable mob from PoP zoned to Paludal doesn't
    go with you... Then there's the places where they don't
    want you to be able to take a charmed pet -- now they
    have to balance encounters for that.

Games Video Games